RD Josh Brook (2017, 56th, MTL)

AnArmchairScout

Jun 18, 2016
After watching him earlier this year, you don't realize how good he actually is until after the fact.

Raw potential, smooth skater who plays physical. Played in all situations with Moose Jaw and steadily improved.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
He's alright. Noticed him last season and have kept an eye on his progress this season but only made it to 1 game.
Quality all around defenseman that Hunter speaks very highly of. Hoping the Leafs take him with Ottawa's 2nd and Martin can give him some lesson's on scrapping. :laugh:

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's a 1st round talent to me. I don't know why he doesn't get the attention others get. I like someone like POJ, but what does he have on Brook? Or Vaakanainen, or Foote? Don't know why he's not up there with them, and they're consensus 1st rounders. Not like they're dynamic offensive players either, and he has individual advantages on all of them to me. I like him over some other consensus guys too.

Maybe it is because he doesn't have the giant numbers or a standout skill in some people's eyes. But he's above average (often well above average) in just about everything. He's got good size and he uses it. He's a fantastic skater (that's the standout trait to me, along with the IQ) who really can transition play with it, and he's a very crisp passer too, so he gets it done that way. I think he's so smart and poised in all 3-zones. I consistently watched him execute play in his own end or the NZ so efficiently and get play going the other way. His 1-on-1 defending and zero panic in his own end is clinical. In the o-zone, he's really good with the pinches, but he plays a more simple cycle game, so I'm not thinking he'll be the best PP option on a strong NHL team, but he's so good at other strengths, he doesn't need those minutes to make him successful. He's a 2-way, top 4 potential, smooth skating RHD with a summer birthday, who plays a strong, projectable puck possession style.......and the buzz is not there. I have a hunch he'll be someone who will surprise in the years to come.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He's a 1st round talent to me. I don't know why he doesn't get the attention others get. I like someone like POJ, but what does he have on Brook? Or Vaakanainen, or Foote? Don't know why he's not up there with them, and they're consensus 1st rounders. Not like they're dynamic offensive players either, and he has individual advantages on all of them to me. I like him over some other consensus guys too.

Maybe it is because he doesn't have the giant numbers or a standout skill in some people's eyes. But he's above average (often well above average) in just about everything. He's got good size and he uses it. He's a fantastic skater (that's the standout trait to me, along with the IQ) who really can transition play with it, and he's a very crisp passer too, so he gets it done that way. I think he's so smart and poised in all 3-zones. I consistently watched him execute play in his own end or the NZ so efficiently and get play going the other way. His 1-on-1 defending and zero panic in his own end is clinical. In the o-zone, he's really good with the pinches, but he plays a more simple cycle game, so I'm not thinking he'll be the best PP option on a strong NHL team, but he's so good at other strengths, he doesn't need those minutes to make him successful. He's a 2-way, top 4 potential, smooth skating RHD with a summer birthday, who plays a strong, projectable puck possession style.......and the buzz is not there. I have a hunch he'll be someone who will surprise in the years to come.

Just after watching highlights of him earlier in the season and reading some scouting reports on him I couldn't understand how he wasn't talked about more (or at all, rather). Seems he has the size, the skillset and the numbers on his side. 40 points in 69 games is nothing to sneeze at. 7 points in 7 games in the playoffs too. I really haven't seen him much but I get the same vibe as you, he could end up being a major, major steal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Could be teams trying to be luke warm on him hoping they can snag him in the 2nd.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Couldn't find a thread on this guy but I just noticed he led Moose Jaw in scoring for a d-man this season and then led the entire team in scoring in the playoffs. He is 6'2" and a right handed shot. Why doesn't he get talked about more and where do you think he will be drafted?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I think the primary reason is that there are so many good D prospects in this draft, most with more upside. The two key deficiencies are his lack of physicality, and perhaps the lack of PP upside. That said, his potential size, and his skating ability, which is excellent, should mean that he's a very valuable 2nd or 3rd round pick.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Couldn't find a thread on this guy but I just noticed he led Moose Jaw in scoring for a d-man this season and then led the entire team in scoring in the playoffs. He is 6'2" and a right handed shot. Why doesn't he get talked about more and where do you think he will be drafted?

Somewhere in the second round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He missed most of the season to injury but have been watching him since he returned and have to say I've been impressed. Looking forward to seeing what he can do next over a full season when healthy. Hope he gets on Team Canada's radar.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
I see Brook is putting up some nice numbers despite missing a lot of games. Who does he compare to and what's his potential?

Reactions: Weylspin

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Hes been fantastic this season after returning from injury. Just great in all 3 zones.

If the draft is redone today... hes taken in the first

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's playing with Clague now. They are a pretty dynamic pair. Still prone to the odd defensive gaff every so often but with Moose Jaws forward core they have a lot to work with on the offensive end. Creating multiple and when I say multiple I mean a metric shit tonne of chances every shift.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Watching him on the Warriors last year my biggest peave with him was trying to do to much. Especially when we got Clague. It's like he thought he was as good at Clague at rushing the puck and he just constantly coughed it up. He also makes some heart stopping plays in his own zone sometimes that can lead to some bad chances on our goalie. Hoping he can clean that up a bit this year. All in all though he's a great skater, has decent hockey sense and is a decent playmaker from the backend when in the offensive zone, that needs to work on his puck rushing, decision making and outlet passes. He'll be fighting it out with Woo for 1RD spot. He should get some PP time either way though. Unless Hunt beats him out but that is unlikely.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hopefully he makes team Canada this year!

his coach is Team Canada's coach so he'll have a good shot.

Hes like our 6th or 7th best prospect and he probably goes early 2nd in a redraft, then people try and tell me we dont have a great pool.

Depending on the cutoff for NHL games played, he's likely their 3rd best or 4th prospect imo. But sorry they don't have a great pool. Getting Suzuki adds a lot of skill but way too many prospects in the organization have skating and or speed issues and in today's NHL that's very concerning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->