RD Jeremy Roy - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2015, 31st, SJS)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Puck control, instincts for the game, controlling pace, using deception and all these tools to affect the flow of the game. These are his strengths, excellent feel for the game. Everything is in control when the puck is around him, makes aggressive reads on the rush defensively and pinching because he wants the game to be dictated from where he is standing.

The skating concern is real, he is a good mover and takes good routes and angles to the puck and is very agile while holding the puck but his lack of explosiveness combined with his average size is going to be a concern going forward against fast and heavy NHLers. I've also noticed he will want the puck to pop out when things get grimy in the d-zone so he can run with it, don't know how interested he is in being a "stopper". I think he has an excellent chance of becoming an NHL defenseman that can show off all his strengths in the right role and environment - he will be able to get some points and move the puck. Top pairing? I'm not so sure about that but he has many elements that could make him a solid puck-moving d-man at the next level - not sure I see the dominant 1/2 player some are mentioning. Continually receiving good coaching and development as he makes the translation to pro will be crucial for this guy in particular, if he does I think he can have very solid potential. Players like this have to take what they get at the next level and use their skills within what the game gives them - they will probably not be able to dictate and dominate completely like they have in the past with the puck on their sticks so much. Going from dictating and dominating to contributing when you can in the NHL is the adjustment.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Puck control, instincts for the game, controlling pace, using deception and all these tools to affect the flow of the game. These are his strengths, excellent feel for the game. Everything is in control when the puck is around him, makes aggressive reads on the rush defensively and pinching because he wants the game to be dictated from where he is standing.

The skating concern is real, he is a good mover and takes good routes and angles to the puck and is very agile while holding the puck but his lack of explosiveness combined with his average size is going to be a concern going forward against fast and heavy NHLers. I've also noticed he will want the puck to pop out when things get grimy in the d-zone so he can run with it, don't know how interested he is in being a "stopper". I think he has an excellent chance of becoming an NHL defenseman that can show off all his strengths in the right role and environment - he will be able to get some points and move the puck. Top pairing? I'm not so sure about that but he has many elements that could make him a solid puck-moving d-man at the next level - not sure I see the dominant 1/2 player some are mentioning. Continually receiving good coaching and development as he makes the translation to pro will be crucial for this guy in particular, if he does I think he can have very solid potential.

This is how I feel too, and it's why I'm not surprised to see him in the 20-25 range in some lists. He'll be a 1st round pick but I think the skating keeps him out of the top 15.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010

The skating concern is real, he is a good mover and takes good routes and angles to the puck and is very agile while holding the puck but his lack of explosiveness combined with his average size is going to be a concern going forward against fast and heavy NHLers. I've also noticed he will want the puck to pop out when things get grimy in the d-zone so he can run with it, don't know how interested he is in being a "stopper". I think he has an excellent chance of becoming an NHL defenseman that can show off all his strengths in the right role and environment - he will be able to get some points and move the puck. Top pairing? I'm not so sure about that but he has many elements that could make him a solid puck-moving d-man at the next level - not sure I see the dominant 1/2 player some are mentioning. Continually receiving good coaching and development as he makes the translation to pro will be crucial for this guy in particular, if he does I think he can have very solid potential. Players like this have to take what they get at the next level and use their skills within what the game gives them - they will probably not be able to dictate and dominate completely like they have in the past with the puck on their sticks so much. Going from dictating and dominating to contributing when you can in the NHL is the adjustment.

Although I agree his explosiveness is his main weakness, it's not a huge concern for me. All others part of his skating are really good, and explosiveness is not the hardest thing to improve on, with work and training on it he should be more than fine.

Personally I don't pass on a defenceman with elite level hockey IQ, decision making and passing like Roy. Defenceman that control the game like he can are really rare. This with his great skill set, strength and overall game, he definitely has top pairing upside imo.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012

He sounds like an Andrei Markov type player from your description. I wouldnt mind if nhl teams thought like you because I would love him on the habs. I have also seen lists where he is in that 20-25 range the habs could draft from... Every time I have seen him he stood out as a played who makes the right decisions.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Great article on Roy
http://thechronicleherald.ca/mooseheads/1272907-inside-the-q-sherbrooke%E2%80%99s-roy-an-interesting-case-study-in-scouting#.VPm9mZGdjgA.twitter

Roy came through town about a month ago, and one scout I regularly converse with kept remarking on how much he loved his body language and drive. He compared it to what he sees in players like Drew Doughty and Duncan Keith, explaining how it is that innate desire to make a difference in a game that separates those two stars from other NHL defencemen.

JayHockey

Mar 19, 2015
I've seen him play this season. Defensively, he's very aggressive, maybe too much some times.His positionning in his own zone is deficient but he made some improvements. His first pass is very good. He rush the offensive zone very well and so dangerous in the PP cause of his hard shot. His skating is not so bad, but his accel definitely needs improvement.

He's a game-breaking talent and his pro potentiel is very interesting. Could be an absolute steal if he falls down the 20. Ahead of Kylington IMO.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
I want the Leafs to take him or Beauvillier with the NSH pick

No, you should draft Nicolas Roy. A big player that is great defensively, but struggles to put points in the Q, I like when you make that kind of picks.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
So you think J. Roy has more offensive upside than Kylington?

I don't think any defenseman has a higher offensive upside than Kylington this year, but I think it's fair to say that Kylington is less likely to reach his potential. I'd say if both hit their ceilings, Roy is a 50 point defenseman with a good (not great) defensive game, and Kylington is a 60+ point dman with a below average defensive game.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
No, you should draft Nicolas Roy. A big player that is great defensively, but struggles to put points in the Q, I like when you make that kind of picks.

Well Nicolas Roy was the first ov in the q draft....so that would be a steal right?!? :naughty:

Wewaykum

Feb 25, 2015
Montréal
I don't think any defenseman has a higher offensive upside than Kylington this year, but I think it's fair to say that Kylington is less likely to reach his potential. I'd say if both hit their ceilings, Roy is a 50 point defenseman with a good (not great) defensive game, and Kylington is a 60+ point dman with a below average defensive game.

Thanks for the insight, I'm trying to target the best offensive D (skill, potential, chances to be succesful) for the entry draft in my league, which also happens before the real entry draft.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I've seen him play this season. Defensively, he's very aggressive, maybe too much some times.His positionning in his own zone is deficient but he made some improvements. His first pass is very good. He rush the offensive zone very well and so dangerous in the PP cause of his hard shot. His skating is not so bad, but his accel definitely needs improvement.

He's a game-breaking talent and his pro potentiel is very interesting. Could be an absolute steal if he falls down the 20. Ahead of Kylington IMO.

interesting. A lot of the more of the reliable scouting sources (ISS, CSS, TSN) all either had him in the late 20's. Hard to imagine him being a steal when he's ranked around that spot. Speed is ok, size he looks kinda small although he's listed 6'0, looks smaller right now. Looks more like Bryan Cambpell (5'10 dman) then an actual 6'0 foot player (David Booth)

Wewaykum

Feb 25, 2015
Montréal
I just watched him play in the second game of Sherbrooke vs Charlottetown playoffs, in Sherbrooke, and I have to say I was very, very impressed. He is a real QB on the PP, distributing the puck really naturally and moving around a lot in the cycle. He retains a lot of pucks from icing attempts too.

On 5-on-5, he displays a very well balanced mix of aggression and defensive awareness. He didn't jump into the rush very often on the first wave because he positions himself pretty well in case of a turnover and stays back a few extra seconds. But when the play settles in the offensive zone, he is the real threat, changing sides very often with and without the puck and being involved down low.

Jérémy Roy plays with a lot of confidence, everything seems natural and easy to him. He shoots the puck often but I would like to see him make that slapshot a little more heavy. Also, he didn't seem to always utilize the traffic in the best way for his shooting lanes in that one game.

I really loved seeing him play, as well as Sprong for Charlottetown. Roy was very impressive and I think he is going to go top 15 in the draft.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
I just watched him play in the second game of Sherbrooke vs Charlottetown playoffs, in Sherbrooke, and I have to say I was very, very impressed. He is a real QB on the PP, distributing the puck really naturally and moving around a lot in the cycle. He retains a lot of pucks from icing attempts too.

On 5-on-5, he displays a very well balanced mix of aggression and defensive awareness. He didn't jump into the rush very often on the first wave because he positions himself pretty well in case of a turnover and stays back a few extra seconds. But when the play settles in the offensive zone, he is the real threat, changing sides very often with and without the puck and being involved down low.

Jérémy Roy plays with a lot of confidence, everything seems natural and easy to him. He shoots the puck often but I would like to see him make that slapshot a little more heavy. Also, he didn't seem to always utilize the traffic in the best way for his shooting lanes in that one game.

I really loved seeing him play, as well as Sprong for Charlottetown. Roy was very impressive and I think he is going to go top 15 in the draft.

Great post. It's unbelievable how underrated he is. Definitely top pairing upside.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Roy stood out more than any of the prospects I've watched live this season. He's a talent for sure. I think he's gonna be the steal of the 1st Round. I have him right below Provorov at 7th.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I feel like Roy is the guy that really shows the split between the "fans" and the "scouting community". He's slid down in many scouts list, with some (I think ISS) having him not even being a 1st rd pick. OTOH many regular fans who have watched him rave about him.

I like the kid and am hoping the fans are right and it's just a case of scouting people missing something (maybe being too caught up in measurables or something). Will be interesting to see who is right.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I feel like Roy is the guy that really shows the split between the "fans" and the "scouting community". He's slid down in many scouts list, with some (I think ISS) having him not even being a 1st rd pick. OTOH many regular fans who have watched him rave about him.

I like the kid and am hoping the fans are right and it's just a case of scouting people missing something (maybe being too caught up in measurables or something). Will be interesting to see who is right.

I wouldn't be surprised if internally some teams have a guy like Vande Sompel or Juulsen ranked higher while some teams consider Roy the second best D-man behind Hanifin. I'd think him and Zacha probably have the most varied ranking across the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad