RD Jack Thompson (2020, 93rd, TBL, traded to SJS)

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
He's an offensive defencemen who loves to put the puck on net, had a good slap shot, but thrives on finding his way into open space in the offensive zone. Extremely good with the puck on his stick. Defensively his skating generally keeps him as an above average defender. Needs to work on his strength at this point. I'm a big fan of his, albeit a homer. I think he's going to make a team in the mid-late 2nd round very happy.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he has high potential, but he didn't have the best season defensively. A team that bets on the potential might pick him in the latter part of the second round or maybe he slips into the fourth round because he struggled this season. I'd peg him as a third rounder for now.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
A second-round pick, 30th overall, in the 2018 OHL Draft, Sudbury Wolves defenceman Jack Thompson has seen his offensive game take off in his second year in the Ontario Hockey League. After scoring six goals and 10 assists for 16 points in 52 games as an OHL rookie, he put up 13 goals and 19 assists for 32 points in 63 games before the COVID-19 shutdown this year. The breakout seemed to start in the 2019 OHL Playoffs when he scored one goal and four assists for five points in eight games. Thompson saw increased ice time in his second year in the league. He has thrived with this added responsibility including time on the power play and playing against the opposition’s top forward lines.

Thompson also played for Team Canada Red at the Under 17 World Hockey Challenge last year, setting himself up to compete for spots on international teams going forward. He also played in the CHL Top Prospects game, playing for Team White in a 5-2 win. The Courtice, Ontario native grew up playing his junior hockey for the Clarington Toros in the ETAHL. In 2017-18, he scored 17 goals and 21 assists for 38 points in 36 games.

Our Report
Jack Thompson Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #96

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Not much written about him here and he seemed to be under the radar a bit during his draft but he is already signed by the Lightning. Was there something special about him that other teams missed or has he really progressed over the past year?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not much written about him here and he seemed to be under the radar a bit during his draft but he is already signed by the Lightning. Was there something special about him that other teams missed or has he really progressed over the past year?

Sudbury prospects are notoriously under-scouted and under-drafted. This has been a thing for a long time, but hopefully having had Byfield will break that trend. In 2020 Thompson was picked in the end of round 3, and another Wolves Dman Isaak Phillips went to Chicago in the 5th. Both are substantially outplaying their draft positions and are well ahead of their initially anticipated development curves. Stillman squeezing into the 1st round gave me hope that teams are starting to notice that Sudbury still produces NHL talent.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
About time.

Been arguably the worst drafting team in the league the last 5 years.

Since 20016 the Lightning have had just three first round picks - Brett Howden and the two Footes. Hard to do real well when you're using picks to acquire veterans.

Its tough to argue with the results.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Since 20016 the Lightning have had just three first round picks - Brett Howden and the two Footes. Hard to do real well when you're using picks to acquire veterans.

Its tough to argue with the results.

They also had 7 2nd round picks and 7 3rd round picks from 2016-2020.

They'll definitely have drafted a few decent NHLers during that 5 year stretch, but it's a pretty disappointing track record.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They also had 7 2nd round picks and 7 3rd round picks from 2016-2020.

They'll definitely have drafted a few decent NHLers during that 5 year stretch, but it's a pretty disappointing track record.

In 2016 they drafted Howden, Hajek, Katchouk, Raddysh and Colton in the first 4 rounds. All have made it to the NHL, 3rd round pick Ingram might see time in Nashville this year. 2017 Foote and Volkov have made the NHL, 3rd round pick is a bust. Not sure why we are expecting 2nd or 3rd round picks from just a few seasons ago, especially when the last two have been cut short, to be in the NHL already? 2019 1st Foote did make the NHL if you were wondering.

Not sure how that's a disappointing draft record? I think it's a damn good one and not sure you'll find another team that put 7 guys in the league from the 16 and 17 draft. Sure the players aren't world beaters but they still became NHLers which isn't easy outside the 1st round.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
In 2016 they drafted Howden, Hajek, Katchouk, Raddysh and Colton in the first 4 rounds. All have made it to the NHL, 3rd round pick Ingram might see time in Nashville this year. 2017 Foote and Volkov have made the NHL, 3rd round pick is a bust. Not sure why we are expecting 2nd or 3rd round picks from just a few seasons ago, especially when the last two have been cut short, to be in the NHL already? 2019 1st Foote did make the NHL if you were wondering.

Not sure how that's a disappointing draft record? I think it's a damn good one and not sure you'll find another team that put 7 guys in the league from the 16 and 17 draft. Sure the players aren't world beaters but they still became NHLers which isn't easy outside the 1st round.
Yeah and this guy scored the cup winning goal, no big deal...

I watched alot of Katchouk and Raddysh in juniors and I'm going to continue to root for them.

Reactions: KILLger

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
What is the deal with Thompson though? Has his skating and defense progressed? Or is he just dominating in a small sample as an older player with pro experience?

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
another bumb, does tampa see him as NHL talent?

scored 8 goals 25 points in his rookie season in the AHL
(full season, so didn't really set the A on fire or anything)

solid start to the 23-24 season; 4 points in 5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad