RD Hunter Skinner (2019, 112th, NYR; traded to STL)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He is coming on strong, always had a nice base to his game and could really put it together. Kind of overlooked him last year, Lincoln were bad in a great conference and Muskegon had a fairly deep d-corps. USHL is hard to get points in if you aren't playing a big role on a good team. Glad to see him taking off now

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
22 points in 24 games for London. And I know it's London, so his point totals are a little inflated, like the rest of the team, but he had 22 points in 52 USHL games last season and is nearly a PPG this season. It took him less than half the amount of games to reach his point total from last season. Thats a huge improvement.

If you look at his EP page, he's never put up points anywhere he's played. He was drafted as high as he was supposedly because he's a big defensemen with great skating and had good raw upside. It seems like he's starting to turn that upside into points this season. For a 4th round pick, this looks like a potential steal.

He has another season left of OHL eligibility after this one. Merkley and Regula should be gone, so he should get a chance to be the top defenseman on London next year. He theoretically could play in the AHL next season because he was drafted out of the USHL, but I don't see the point.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
22 points in 24 games for London. And I know it's London, so his point totals are a little inflated, like the rest of the team, but he had 22 points in 52 USHL games last season and is nearly a PPG this season. It took him less than half the amount of games to reach his point total from last season. Thats a huge improvement.

If you look at his EP page, he's never put up points anywhere he's played. He was drafted as high as he was supposedly because he's a big defensemen with great skating and had good raw upside. It seems like he's starting to turn that upside into points this season. For a 4th round pick, this looks like a potential steal.

He has another season left of OHL eligibility after this one. Merkley and Regula should be gone, so he should get a chance to be the top defenseman on London next year. He theoretically could play in the AHL next season because he was drafted out of the USHL, but I don't see the point.

Wow! From 4 points in 15 games in Midget AAA too 22pts in 24 games in less then 3 years in the OHL, massive improvement.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Played for the Gold Medal Winning American Team at the WJC. Only got into one game, but he was part of the team.

He's now playing in the ECHL for the time being. He has 3 points in his first 3 games. It's a weak league, but the level is still higher than junior hockey. He'll probably rejoin London though if the OHL season restarts.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Played for the Gold Medal Winning American Team at the WJC. Only got into one game, but he was part of the team.

He's now playing in the ECHL for the time being. He has 3 points in his first 3 games. It's a weak league, but the level is still higher than junior hockey. He'll probably rejoin London though if the OHL season restarts.

ECHL is easily better than junior hockey and NCAA for sure. Not sure I'd call it a weak league , probably just below the top 5-6 euro pro leagues so it's not bad. I'm not sure why more ECHL teams haven't done the same and took on these younger players or why they're not being assigned there. Skinner is the only teenager in the league currently

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
8 points in 10 ECHL games. That’s fifth in the league in PPG for defensemen. He’s averaging 2.5 shots per game, which is a lot for a defensemen. Keep in mind that he has another season of junior eligibility left.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
9 points in 12 games. pretty good, considering he was barely above .5PPG in the OHL last season. Playing in a better league now and still OHL eligible for this season.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He’s not signed yet. Probably a tryout for a contract.

It's not a try-out. He signed a pro contract due to the OHL being on hold still and with the Rangers affiliate (Maine Mariners) not playing this season he had the freedom to sign a contract elsewhere. He has connections with the Utah Grizzlies and has been putting up a memorable season, breaking records left and right. Hartford would have been an option but Skinner was approached by Utah before the AHL had announced their return to play.

Going into the season, I was skeptical about him getting an ELC but this performance at age 19 in the ECHL definitely got me over the line believing he will be signed.

His NHL rights expire June 1st.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Completely forgot about that guy. Was a major shock for me to read about a Skinner trade, thinking it would be either Stuart or Jeff:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad