RD Eemeli Räsänen - HPK Hämeenlinna, Liiga (2017, 59th, TOR)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hard to say. Juolevi was able to play top minutes in Liiga as a D+2 player, but Räsänen isn’t at that level and KHL is a better league. I don’t know Jokerit’s roster that well, but I can say that Kivistö, Lepistö, Lauridsen and Jensen are comfortably ahead on the depth chart, Lööv probably as well. He might be able to fight his way into that 6th defender spot. This seems like a strange move.

I bet he will split time between Jokerit and Kiekko-Vantaa, similar to what Juho Rautanen did these past 2 years.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Hard to say. Juolevi was able to play top minutes in Liiga as a D+2 player, but Räsänen isn’t at that level and KHL is a better league. I don’t know Jokerit’s roster that well, but I can say that Kivistö, Lepistö, Lauridsen and Jensen are comfortably ahead on the depth chart, Lööv probably as well. He might be able to fight his way into that 6th defender spot. This seems like a strange move.

Jensen had 0+4 in 47 games during the last KHL season and 0+0 in playoffs. While he is an "established" player in the lineup, I wouldn't say he is "comfortably ahead".

But since Räsänen likes to join the rush and has more offensive talent I can see him in the 3rd pairing with Jensen as his partner. Jensen is more of a defensive Dman so he can insulate Räsänen's offense even in case Räsänen becomes too adventurous.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Really strong period from Räsänen, 100% passing so far, no mistakes, 1 shot, 1 hit.
In one shift, Räsänen beat his opponent in skating "duel" in d-zone, won the physical battle,
took the puck, passed it on, tape to tape.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Räsänen had about 8 mins of ice time as a 7th d-man, very stellar game, had 100% passing accuracy.
2 shots on goal, 4 hits, was +1.

Impressed about his passing ability, played very simple. Every time when he got the puck, just quickly passed
it from his stick to his mates. Def. was not fish out of water in own end tonight,stellar job.
Yes there was that one moment when he lost his man front of the net but nothing came out from that,
dude is only 19, i'll allow it :) .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
he wanted to play against men rather than teenagers in the OHL I guess. it's not the worst idea, but he has to actually play in order to benefit. half the games he doesn't even see ice time

So far, he has played one real game. In his first game of the season, he just played few shifts.
He has "suited up" for most of the games, just sat on the bench the entire game.

I think (hope) yesterday will repeat itself in the upcoming games and if (when) he continues to play this well
more ice time is to come, its just logic really, no coach is dumb not to play more of a player who is playing really well.

But you gotta remember there are 9 d-men fighting for those 6 spots (7) for each Jokerit game
+ 3 other u20 year old Finns eager to jump in... and one 24 year old.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He just made his debut playing with men, he's not in a hurry. I don't think not playing every game hurts his development at this point when he anyway has a lot to digest.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He just made his debut playing with men, he's not in a hurry. I don't think not playing every game hurts his development at this point when he anyway has a lot to digest.

If he's good defensively and plays mean and provide at least good 3rd pairing minutes, he is a welcome addition for the Leafs. It'll take a couple more years I think but he could be helpful.

IamherefortheFinn

ObsessedWithTheLion
May 24, 2015
Trio Areena
What's the point in going overseas if you gonna play 8 minutes a game?

He is literally not overseas. He's a Finnish kid playing in the Continental Hockey League in the combined European/Asian continents. :laugh:

The KHL has good teams and bad teams and we have been very good so far. Jokerit has won five out of six games to start the season and in the last one we had a 4-3 OT loss despite giving 2,5 goals for free (bad passes) in regular time against no other than SKA. He will get ice time for sure against the weaker teams as the season progresses.

Another factor to this is that there will always be injuries and unlike the NHL teams, we dont have a lot of other players that can be brought up to the team. Last year in one Siberian trip we were down to 3 defenceman and one of our forwards were told to play as a D.

Jokerit also has vested interest in giving Räsänen chances to succeed and thus give him icetime. We had another youngster Tolvanen last year who was very good for the teams results and for the ticket sales. Now if Räsänen also makes it in the KHL, it will be easier in the future to convince top prospects to play for us for a year or two before they head overseas to the AHL/NHL.

Reactions: Orfieus

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He is literally not overseas. He's a Finnish kid playing in the Continental Hockey League in the combined European/Asian continents. :laugh:

The KHL has good teams and bad teams and we have been very good so far. Jokerit has won five out of six games to start the season and in the last one we had a 4-3 OT loss despite giving 2,5 goals for free (bad passes) in regular time against no other than SKA. He will get ice time for sure against the weaker teams as the season progresses.

Another factor to this is that there will always be injuries and unlike the NHL teams, we dont have a lot of other players that can be brought up to the team. Last year in one Siberian trip we were down to 3 defenceman and one of our forwards were told to play as a D.

Jokerit also has vested interest in giving Räsänen chances to succeed and thus give him icetime. We had another youngster Tolvanen last year who was very good for the teams results and for the ticket sales. Now if Räsänen also makes it in the KHL, it will be easier in the future to convince top prospects to play for us for a year or two before they head overseas to the AHL/NHL.

I obviously meant over seas from where he was playing the past two seasons in the OHL...which he still is eligible for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad