RD Eamon Powell - USNTDP, USHL (2020, 116th, TBL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s second on the 17’s in points among defensemen. He has four points in his last two games.

This guy is really underrated and is going to slip below the radar, similar to how Thrun did a season ago. The player Powell reminds me some of is Adam Fox. He might not be as good of a points producer as Fox, but he’s a better skater. They are similar in how they play though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Time to bump this thread that has went over a year without a post.

Powell's having a good season. The numbers don't look great because the U18's are a low-scoring team this year, and don't play as much of an up and down style as last year, but he's been playing on the top pairing all year. Very reliable player. Doesn't do anything great, but is good in all-situations, and will probably turn into a good pro because of it. I also think he could probably be a PP2 and PK2 type of player at the NHL level, possibly even PP1.

I've seen him listed in the second round in some places. McKenzie has him #59, which is usually a good indication of how scouts view players. I'd have him a little higher in the second round. I have him listed as an early second-rounder, but second round seems to be a good range.

His numbers don't jump off the page and neither does his skill-set, but if you watch enough games of Powell, you appreciate his style of play.

Reactions: d rake

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Looks like he could be a very useful player. Smart and room to grow, wonder if he is a late bloomer physically.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born in Marcellus, New York defenceman Eamon Powell has spent the last two seasons with the United States National Team Development Program. He spent this season with the Under-18 squad and scored six goals and eight assists for 14 points in 43 games. He had a strong tournament at the Under-18 Five Nations, helping the team to a silver medal. Unfortunately the COVID-19 Pandemic cancelled the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, the signature event that Powell and his teammates were building towards.

Last season, on the Under-17 team, Powell scored seven goals and 14 assists for 21 points in 56 games. He also added one goal in two playoff games. Powell played in the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored a goal and two assists for three points in five tournament games. He played his minor hockey in both Syracuse and Rochester. Powell is committed to playing hockey for the Boston College Eagles next season. Should he change his mind and opt to go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Saginaw Spirit. They drafted him in the 10th round, 201st overall, at the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/23/eamon-powell-scouting-report/

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Surprised he went this low. Not that he's a great prospect, but I think there's a decent amount of untapped potential here, just like with Brock Faber.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
9 points in 13 games for BC...

Pretty solid numbers for a freshman. Tbh, really solid. How’s the actual play on the ice though for those who have seen him?

Drafted him in the mid/late rounds in my keeper league so just curious how he’s looking. Boxscore only tells you so much...

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Correct, my mistake. I think BC still did that with Fensore and I seem to also remember BU doing the same with Farrance years back.

I think you got these two teams mixed up. There is Boston COLLEGE and Boston UNIVERSITY. Two very different teams that happen to play each other this weekend.

Eamon Powell, a d-man who plays for Boston COLLEGE, was put on wing when starting in offensive zone. BC had two other d-men on the ice at the time.

Dom Fensore, who plays for Boston UNIVERSITY (and has never played for Boston COLLEGE), was in their lineup, but got hurt early in game. Dave Farrance, who also plays a Boston UNIVERSITY did not play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you got these two teams mixed up. There is Boston COLLEGE and Boston UNIVERSITY. Two very different teams that happen to play each other this weekend.

Eamon Powell, a d-man who plays for Boston COLLEGE, was put on wing when starting in offensive zone. BC had two other d-men on the ice at the time.

Dom Fensore, who plays for Boston UNIVERSITY (and has never played for Boston COLLEGE), was in their lineup, but got hurt early in game. Dave Farrance, who also plays a Boston UNIVERSITY did not play.

No, you're right. My mistake again. For some reason I had in my mind he's playing at BU. I don't really know what I was thinking. Maybe I needed a little more sleep.

Reactions: Favin

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Now has 12 points in 17 games in his freshman season. 10 of them coming in the last 12 games.

He’s tied with Colorado prospect Drew Helleson (2019 47th) for the team league in points on defence.

I don’t watch NCAA hockey, but he seems to be having a really solid year. How’s his actual play look out there on the ice?

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Has anyone been following this prospect at all?
I watch him pretty regularly at BC, he'll probably either be the captain or assistant captain this year. He's a solid defenseman but I don't know if he'll ever be an every day NHL defenseman. He's pretty fun to watch in college, good skater, great first pass and transition game, solid defensively. His issue is with his size, I don't think he's good enough offensively to be a top 4 guy and I don't think he's good enough defensively to be a bottom pair guy. Just kind of a tweener in my mind who will probably do really well in the AHL but will probably have trouble cracking the NHL lineup to be an everyday regular. He's a bit like a bigger version of David Warsofsky

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Powell is having a good senior year; wonder if he's running out the clock to UFA, if Tampa signs him once BC is done, or if his rights are shipped out (potentially in a package) at the trade deadline (like Thrun's were last year). Remember, Tampa lost Sammy Walker and Cole Guttman who ran out the clock to UFA, wonder if BriseBois is more cognizant of that risk and is willing to trade guys like Powell and Duke if they aren't committed to signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad