RD Dmitry Osipov - Rockford IceHogs, AHL (2015 undrafted)

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
Anyone know ANYTHING about him?

He was selected 1st overall in KHL as well but he was unhappy with the team that selected him. When he was interviewed by the Giants he told them he'd play for them next season :D .

If he'd stuck with the KHL there's no way he would go first overall.

Canuck71*

Khabarovsk the team that selected him is located so far away from any other team in the KHL. It's almost like having an NHL team in Hawaii, thats how secluded that city is. Can't even imagine the plane rides the players on that team must endure.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Khabarovsk the team that selected him is located so far away from any other team in the KHL. It's almost like having an NHL team in Hawaii, thats how secluded that city is. Can't even imagine the plane rides the players on that team must endure.

Hey that's where Grigs and Mogilny are from! Yeah it's nearly in China :laugh:

KevinBXA

Professional Caveman
Nov 4, 2010
The Roxy
I'm 30% sure Osipov isn't real and the Giants just trolled everyone. They haven't really had great Euros since Repik and Bliznak so it would be great if he works out.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

To be fair, there will be a team in Vladivostok starting next year. That's only a couple hundred kilometres from Khabarovsk, as opposed to the thousands that Novokuznetsk (I think it was the closest to Khabarovsk until now) is.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Giants are rumored to be going hard to host the 2016 Memorial cup... I believe this guy is a '96 and although it seems like nobody really knows much about him, it seems like he must be a stud to go #1 in KHL draft and now #1 in CHL Draft. So hopefully he will be around as a 19 year old in 2016. Giants also had a few very high picks in this past WHL Draft and now have quite a few unreal 14,15,16 year olds on their protected list... so they could turn to be a complete powerhouse in 2016

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
seems like he must be a stud to go #1 in KHL draft and now #1 in CHL Draft.

No and no. In KHL draft he was first because he was of the best prospects that played for school not affiliated with a KHL team and in CHL draft he went #1 because Vancouver seemingly were sure that they will be able to convince him to report.

Basically if a kid form Moscow is drafted by Khabarovsk, he might as well go that extra mile and report to nearby Vancouver. :sarcasm:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
He handled the KHL draft pretty unprofessionally. He rolled up in jeans, and was stone faced when his name was called... Not impressed at all by being selected by Amur. Russian fans weren't particularly thrilled about it. I'm thinking he wouldn't be coming to Vancouver if he was selected by any other team.

Also, for you geography buffs there is another far east team, Vladivostok who is new to the league this year. It makes the travel slightly less worse... Entertain this idea, who has the disadvantage, Amur as they travel on a far road trips (only initial trip is far, then multiple games are grouped together with nearby teams to alleviate travel pains) or the team that has to come in from the long road trip for every Amur home game? :naughty:

SchultzSquared*

Great pick by Giants... first thing you notice about Osipov is hockey sense... he plays like he is 19 or 20 not 16... he is very very smart and will neutralize opponents with his active stick and positioning... his team did not so well in the 1996-born division but he was the big reason they only allowed 112 goals when they lost 21 out of 33 games (other teams with similar records let in 140, 170 goals)

Some stats...

31 GP, 0-4-4, 44 PIM

Some may laugh and go, well he did not blow apart his teammates in points... but he is not that kind of player... he is a very good skater in all directions and while he could probably jump up and take more risks... he is very conservative about using his gifts... he has very good hands and makes a strong first pass when the opportunity presents itself, but he is otherwise worried first and foremost about his end

Physically he is a very difficult player to play against... he does his best to use the wall to his advantage whenever possible... in this sense you may as well drop the "import" from his player card... he plays like he's a product of Manitoba or Alberta Bantam AAA... big, strong and very polished. If I was to compare him to another WHL player it would be Mirco Müller. He will need to adjust- he is a late 1996 remember so not NHL eligible until 2015- but the talent is there to be a top pairing WHL defender.

Interesting note... he was ranked 33rd by the KHL scouting service... however all of the top three teams talked to him about signing him... it just so happened when he was drafted the team was as said very far away... and he said after the draft he could not even name a player on the Khabarovsk roster. However, a picture's worth a thousand words... and there was a photo of him after he was selected in the KHL draft throwing up a "1" with his fingers while wearing a very glum look... I will see if I can find it again

Canuck71*

Pretty embarrassing actually, hope the Giants know what there doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
I saw him last night in Everett, and he didn't stand out at all. Obviously he's still adapting to the WHL, but SO FAR he was a fairly bad choice considering how good some other Imports are doing.

Hordichuk_24

I saw him last night in Everett, and he didn't stand out at all. Obviously he's still adapting to the WHL, but SO FAR he was a fairly bad choice considering how good some other Imports are doing.

The player the Giants wanted to draft wouldn't report so they decided to go with Osipov. He wasn't their first choice. Needless to say their euro drafting (or drafting period) has been horrible the past several years.

Osipov has been better as of late but he still hasn't been able to play with much consistency. He's also had some problems with Don Hay so that hasn't helped. All in all as a first overall pick he's definitely been a disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad