RD Dmitri Kostenko - Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk, VHL (2021, 87th, MTL)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I preface this by understanding this kid has a long ways to go and of course there is a tendency to look at every youngster with bright-eyed optimism....

That said, is it just me or does it feel like there is an uptick in really promising Russian defensive prospects these last few years? You've got the likes of Romanov, Samorukov, Alexeyev, Zamula, Misyul, etc all looking very promising and some high end promising younger guys like Nikishin, Mukhamadullin, Chayka, Grushnikov and this kid all on the radar. Funny that the guy who was so hyped at an extremely early age - Knyazev - has probably been passed by lots of other prospects from his generation.

Anyways - like I said, I could be falling prey to just the hype of youth but if half these guys pan out well and few other less-hyped guys/wild cards like Galenyuk, Zhuravlyov, Okhotyuk, etc maybe develop well - seems like the Russian blueline will be well-stocked into the future.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I like his vision/passing skills, shot and hands but is it just me or his skating is very sluggish?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Dobber says he's got the tools, but is raw. Needs structure to his game. Not uncommon for 18 year old defenders that are offense first. Some boards had him as top 50 talent. So, from those perspectives I think this is very good value.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
looks like his skating, speed need some work. Interested to see what the Habs plan is for him since he's only under contract in the KHL for this season coming up.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Interesting start. The VHL isn't a bad league. If he can keep it up, there may be something there in spite of the defensive flaws and skating (which he would have to improve).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Looks to have a rather disappointing stat line so far this season. Can anyone that has watched him give me a rundown?

he's often on the top pairing, though every now and then they drop him down to 7th D in terms of TOI out of the 8 they often dress. He has some offensive skill but looks like the D needs some work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad