RD David Fischer - UFA (2006, 20th overall, Montreal)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I don't think there is any possible way he plays in Montreal this year. This kid is coming out of US high school. As good as that hockey is, it's not anywhere near pro hockey. He'll be at least 2 years at Minnesota before he's even close to being ready to play pro.

I was talking about team USA...I know that he don't have a single chance of making the Habs before at least 2-3 years...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Since when has a first round draft pick been a long shot to make a WJC team?:dunno: He will be on the team. USA is not that deep that he would be considered a long shot.

The US team has left a number of first round picks, particularly defensemen, off thier WJC roster in recent years. Just last year AJ Thelen, Matt Lashoff and Joe Finley were left off the roster. Finley wasn't even invited to the recent evaluation camp. The US defense is going to be a real strongpoint this year and I don't think Fischer is a guarantee at all.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Since when has a first round draft pick been a long shot to make a WJC team?:dunno: He will be on the team. USA is not that deep that he would be considered a long shot.
The USA team is very deep at defense. They have 5 returning defensmen from the year before who should make the team again so there are only 2 open spots. Fisher looked good but I don't think he was good enough to take one of those two spots. My guess is Lawson, Summers, or Strait.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The USA team is very deep at defense. They have 5 returning defensmen from the year before who should make the team again so there are only 2 open spots. Fisher looked good but I don't think he was good enough to take one of those two spots. My guess is Lawson, Summers, or Strait.

i know you were at the weekend games, who do you think stuck out? i heard kane and skille looked really good, but who were the others? i really think they take 8 defensemen, instead of 13 forwards, and use summers as both.

Since when has a first round draft pick been a long shot to make a WJC team? He will be on the team. USA is not that deep that he would be considered a long shot.

i guess you havent been following this too closely, because 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders that play defense werent even invited to camp. apparently fischer looked pretty good at camp, but that being said he wont be on the team this year (unless injuries), hes a long shot, and theres probably 5 guys in front of him not including the 5 returning defensemen.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Is it safe to say that Fischer's chances of being on team USA this year depends on one injury and a great start of season in the NCAA?

There's always a CHANCE that he somehow finds his way on the roster. IMO though it's very doubtful. As has already been mentioned, the U.S. is very deep on defense, and there are other more (for lack of a better term) seasoned players who are ready for the type of competition that is found at the WJC.

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
The US team has left a number of first round picks, particularly defensemen, off thier WJC roster in recent years. Just last year AJ Thelen, Matt Lashoff and Joe Finley were left off the roster. Finley wasn't even invited to the recent evaluation camp. The US defense is going to be a real strongpoint this year and I don't think Fischer is a guarantee at all.

Thelen is a pain in the a$$, and Finley should have been a 3rd round pick at best. Can't speak for Lashoff.

I don't think he is a 100% guarantee either, but I think his chances are much better than what people make it out to be. Dripping with leadership. Not sure why he would be left off the roster. He certainly has the talent. If I was a betting man, I would bet that he would be on the team.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
i know you were at the weekend games, who do you think stuck out? i heard kane and skille looked really good, but who were the others? i really think they take 8 defensemen, instead of 13 forwards, and use summers as both.

Since when has a first round draft pick been a long shot to make a WJC team? He will be on the team. USA is not that deep that he would be considered a long shot.

i guess you havent been following this too closely, because 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders that play defense werent even invited to camp. apparently fischer looked pretty good at camp, but that being said he wont be on the team this year (unless injuries), hes a long shot, and theres probably 5 guys in front of him not including the 5 returning defensemen.

On defense, those three played real well, esp. Lawson. Fisher looked good but I don't think he will make it this year. At forward, Okposo, Rakhshani, Geoffrion, Butcher, Lawrence, Gerbe & Abdelkader all looked good IMO. There will be some tough decisions to make because both USA teams at the camp looked good. The toughest picks will be in goal. I think the will be watching all these kids closely through the first 2 months of the season.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think he is a 100% guarantee either, but I think his chances are much better than what people make it out to be. Dripping with leadership. Not sure why he would be left off the roster. He certainly has the talent. If I was a betting man, I would bet that he would be on the team.

It's simply because the guy isn't ready yet. He's extremely raw and just is NOT ready. There are guys like Summers and Sauer who are much more ready for the team (Sauer should've been on it last year -- it was ludicrous that he wasn't).

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
IMO..He's getting better every game. Beginning of the yr you could tell he was struggling getting use to the jump in speed from High School to DI College. But he's really learning fast. He had two really good games last weekend.
:yo: :yo:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like what I've seen, hope to see him gain more confidence in the offensive zone and shoot more. Good puck mover though, makes some good breakout passes and aside from some freshman mistakes, imo he's been solid in his own end. When Johnson leaves for the WJC's, Fischer should get some PP time.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
What's David Fischer situation with Habs?

I head rumours about David Fischer refuse to join Habs until He have a NHL spot?

It is right?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Is it possible the Habs don't sign him and take a 2nd rounder?

Should be a consideration if they feel he won't make it as an NHLer. I doubt anybody would trade a 2nd rounder for him, so getting a compensatory 2nd rounder would probably be more than the trade value for his rights.

He was drafted as a long term project, and that's what he appears to be, but too be honest I expected more at this point.

J22*

I head rumours about David Fischer refuse to join Habs until He have a NHL spot?

It is right?

I havent heard anything like this. If there is any truth to this i would imagine he told Montreal he wouldnt leave school early unless it was to play in the NHL

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
i hope the habs dont sign him and we take the 2nd rounder in 2011 for him. seriously he's a bust (and this quote will not to comeback to bite me in the ass like it did with other poster calling brule & Bergfors)

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I do agree that he did not pan out as of yet.

But he may be a guy worth taking a chance on. He has an amazing skill set. Just never chooses the right tool for the job. He is best when is not playing hockey(thinking) its when he reacts he is at his best. \

I like having Fischer being the one d man on a 2-1. Bad thing is 5 seconds before that. Fischer has all day to clear the zone, chip it up, make a nice out let pass and instead he turned it over. He needs constand pressure on him and he does better. He may be that rare case where gets better at the next level.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Don't sign him and take the compensation... 50th overall or so in 2011. Not bad.

Exactly !!

It's vary rare now that you can get compensation for failed draft pick !

Get it now before it gets removed in the next CBA.

seriously 2nd round pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Fischer

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Exactly !!

It's vary rare now that you can get compensation for failed draft pick !

Get it now before it gets removed in the next CBA.

seriously 2nd round pick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> David Fischer

I agree, Fischer is pretty crappy.

He isn't even in the A.J Thelen league of crappyness! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->