RD Cameron Allen - Guelph Storm, OHL (2023, 136th, WSH)

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Don't hear a lot about 2023 eligible defenders but this guy is one of the top ones. Honestly surprised Goyette didn't win rookie of the year though/

Reactions: Dominance

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Allen is going to be the biggest climber this year. Notnhard as a top D in a draft where offense is getting all the attention.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Ranked him 10th in my preseason top 32 and he’s the best defenseman in the class. Buchinger may have had to bail him out on many occasions but Allen is a lot of fun to watch. Big time shot and he isn’t shy about using it.

Things may change, but outside of Allen, Gulyayev, and maybe Lindstein, Dragicevic, Tourigny, and Brzustewicz on a lesser scale, there aren’t many defensemen in the 2023 class to get overly excited about. I’m sure that group gets bigger but this is a forward-heavy draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will he get suspended? He swung his stick at a player on the Swedish bench and hit him after he was coming off the ice following being hit.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Will he get suspended? He swung his stick at a player on the Swedish bench and hit him after he was coming off the ice following being hit.
Looked like he slashed at Swedish players sticks that were hanging over the boards in the way. Didn't see any player get hit.

Henti1820

Nov 30, 2021
Is Allen the best Defender in the 2023?
Or how would you rank the guys like Gulyayev Dragicevic Allen Lindstein?
How would you rank these Defenders from 2023 to the last years draft?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see why a lot of people like him. He's probably the best of the 2022 defensemen right now. Pretty good in just about every area of the game, except for size, but even then he's competitive for his size, so he mitigates the size aspect at this level for now. The upside is Ryan Ellis, but there are a lot of sub 6'0 defensemen that aren't elite with their skating or their sense or their puck skills that people say will be the next Ellis, and there's only one Ryan Ellis. I think he's good, but he comes with some risk. I don't think it's a guarantee he ends up better than a 4 in the NHL.

Reactions: Dominance

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
I see why a lot of people like him. He's probably the best of the 2022 defensemen right now. Pretty good in just about every area of the game, except for size, but even then he's competitive for his size, so he mitigates the size aspect at this level for now. The upside is Ryan Ellis, but there are a lot of sub 6'0 defensemen that aren't elite with their skating or their sense or their puck skills that people say will be the next Ellis, and there's only one Ryan Ellis. I think he's good, but he comes with some risk. I don't think it's a guarantee he ends up better than a 4 in the NHL.
He's 5'11 not 5'9. And 190 lbs if eliteprospects is to be believed. That's already bigger/heavier than Ellis or Fox.

He probably gets the 1" bump to 6' that everyone gets in the NHL and plays at 200+ lbs, or Subban/Orlov/Letang/Weegar size.

Reactions: Muffinalt

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
His offensive upside is my only question mark. I don't quite see him as high as Nemec/Jiricek, realistically he might top as #2 d for the team.

Of course, there is time for one full year so we will see how this ages up.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Unsurprisingly posters who don't value hockey IQ highly won't appreciate Allen as much as others.

He reminds me a lot of Doughty and McAvoy stylistically. He's going to be a hell of a defenseman.
it's actually incredible how people make the same mistakes year after year.... valuing physical tools over mental processing and diagnosing ability. It's literally the only trait coupled with work ethic that you can argue every single high end player to ever play the game has had in common. and most "sleepers" that pan out have.

Then any physical tools on top of that is gravy or what helps push them to that next level. But certainly isn't the foundation for an elite player.

It's like everyone would draft Mason Raymond over a Robert Thomas type in their respective draft years....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad