RD Bode Wilde (2018, 41st, NYI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
me and you have had our conversations on most of these kids, it seemed like most of the bigger defenders went lower than they should have, even Bouchard and Dobson went lower than projected. trends are just so stupid and this draft proved there is a legitimate trend hurting bigger defenders.

Miller went right around where I thought he would go, but he somehow gets a pass over Wilde when I have watched Miller make worse plays than Wilde on a more frequent basis. I am pretty confident Wilde will be the better NHLer than Miller.

We both have backed M Samuelsson the entire year, Buffalo got a kid that should have gone 10-15 picks earlier...I think teams are forgetting there are still HUNDREDS of 6'2/6'3 forwards playing in the NHL...still need guys that can shut them down, clear them out, and PK...

Yeah, its a little frustrating. Just by happy that your team gets Boqvist and Wise. :laugh:

What a draft that is, even if the rest of the picks don't amount to anything. My team goes for Miller instead of Wilde or Samuelsson, and the draft day youtube experts ask me why I didn't like the pick when I've been watching the kid play for two years. :facepalm:

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yeah, its a little frustrating. Just by happy that your team gets Boqvist and Wise. :laugh:

What a draft that is, even if the rest of the picks don't amount to anything. My team goes for Miller instead of Wilde or Samuelsson, and the draft day youtube experts ask me why I didn't like the pick when I've been watching the kid play for two years. :facepalm:
I am down on Boqvist for pure concussion issues, so hopefully he is over that, but yep Hawks had a real good draft.

For you guys, I thought this was like Boston in 2015...how could they f*** this up??? LOL, I actually think they kind of did...I did not like Miller at 22, but I guess I can see the potential upside there, but thought they reached at 9 with Kravtsov, and really reached a bit at 28 with guys like Wilde, Samuelsson, Sandin, etc still available...

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is there confirmation yet on the off ice rumors that NBC sports were hinting about Wilde durint the draft?

Ive heard chatter that Wilde didnt finish his high school diploma and did very poorly in the SATs and couldnt academically qualify for NCAA. I believe the US program provides tutors and such but rumblings are Wilde always pulled a Houdini disappearing act during the sessions. Teams obviously did their due dilligince and found out about it.

Again this is just rumblings, but it makes sense why Wilde is all of a sudden going to the CHL and why he dropped so much in the draft.

On-ICe he was probably the worst player at the U18, tons of turnovers and mind blowing dumb puck desicions.

He has amazing tools and skills but i believe he doesnt have the mind and he processes the game very very slow and poorly.

Reactions: Castle8130

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Is there confirmation yet on the off ice rumors that NBC sports were hinting about Wilde durint the draft?

Ive heard chatter that Wilde didnt finish his high school diploma and did very poorly in the SATs and couldnt academically qualify for NCAA. I believe the US program provides tutors and such but rumblings are Wilde always pulled a Houdini disappearing act during the sessions. Teams obviously did their due dilligince and found out about it.

Again this is just rumblings, but it makes sense why Wilde is all of a sudden going to the CHL and why he dropped so much in the draft.

On-ICe he was probably the worst player at the U18, tons of turnovers and mind blowing dumb puck desicions.

He has amazing tools and skills but i believe he doesnt have the mind and he processes the game very very slow and poorly.

I thought Lawton's continued rambling about it on the draft telecast was pretty classless. Dave Reid trying to save that disaster was pretty awkward. I'm obviously more sensitive about it as an Isles fan, but show some class.

With Noah Dobson already in the fold, Wilde was a good gamble. Big, swift, and skilled RD's are insanely valuable.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013

NHL clubs could not give a crap about NCAA eligibility
if its not the NCAA its CHL or AHL or Europe

all garbage talk

Islanders picking him up at 41 is the steal of the draft

Reactions: PWJunior

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

See, we can agree on that, Miller sucks.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
NHL clubs could not give a crap about NCAA eligibility
if its not the NCAA its CHL or AHL or Europe

all garbage talk

Islanders picking him up at 41 is the steal of the draft

Im not necessarily talking about Bode Wilde when i beg to differ that NHL clubs dont care if a prospect is dumb as a doorknob with attitude and work ethic issues.

That is huge alarm bells if true about Bode Wilde

Reactions: haveandare

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
India? Pakistan? Australia?
india and pakistan were hockey greats once, now i believe field hockey is more popular in the netherlands, but i don't pretend to be an expert on the matter. A former school-mate of mine was a player in the netherlands, that is probably why i focus more on them (besides them being europeans and therefor more present in my media circles).

Jeroen Hertzberger - Wikipedia

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Wilde was accepted to go to Harvard University. Even if you're a Harvard jock, there's a bare minimum of intelligence before they'll send an acceptance letter. I know eventually things fell through, but that Harvard acceptance letter alone makes me think he's far from a simple-minded dummy with low hockey intelligence.

Reactions: SI90

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wilde was accepted to go to Harvard University. Even if you're a Harvard jock, there's a bare minimum of intelligence before they'll send an acceptance letter. I know eventually things fell through, but that Harvard acceptance letter alone makes me think he's far from a simple-minded dummy with low hockey intelligence.

He was recruited and signed a letter of intent with an obvious condition that he earns a high school equivalent diploma and get the bare minimum on his SATs.

As i mentioned, the rumors floating in the hockey community is he did not earn then diploma and did horrendous in SATs which is why Bode is going through the CHL route.

This is what scared teams away.

This was further mentioned by Lawton in the drafy coverage when Wilde was drafted.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
doorknob ?

you dont know ****
idiot

Ouch name calling. Careful tho, your age is showing.

If you re read the post, i wasn't calling Bode a doorknob i was just commenting that teams for sure care about a players IQ or or lack there of

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
He was recruited and signed a letter of intent with an obvious condition that he earns a high school equivalent diploma and get the bare minimum on his SATs.

As i mentioned, the rumors floating in the hockey community is he did not earn then diploma and did horrendous in SATs which is why Bode is going through the CHL route.

This is what scared teams away.

This was further mentioned by Lawton in the drafy coverage when Wilde was drafted.

I mean, I'm not pretending to be an expert on Harvard hockey admissions or anything, but considering the prestige of the university I gotta think they're checking some sort of GPA, even on the athletes. "Just get a high school equivalent diploma and the bare minimum on your SATs" seem like extremely relaxed admissions standards for Harvard.

Reactions: SI90

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
I mean, I'm not pretending to be an expert on Harvard hockey admissions or anything, but considering the prestige of the university I gotta think they're checking some sort of GPA, even on the athletes. "Just get a high school equivalent diploma and the bare minimum on your SATs" seem like extremely relaxed admissions standards for Harvard.

Meh, it's D1 college sports. The academics are secondary.

Reactions: haveandare

ness180

Jan 27, 2012
Oliver Wahlstrom was going to Harvard until his academics prevented him from attending so he’s going to BC. Wilde might’ve seen the writing on the wall and knew he wouldn’t be able to get in so bailed on Harvard for Michigan and now for the CHL.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Nope. I know someone who was committed to an Ivy League school for football but ended up losing the offer because he didn't maintain a certain GPA (3.2 or 3.5 or something).

And that was football, for which they're much more likely to make academic acceptions than hockey.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Academics at Ivy League schools are certainly above the athletics. They don’t even give out athletic scholarships (although i’m sure players are given a healthy amount of aid through other loopholes). I think people are overlooking the situation, he probably thought it was more beneficial for him to develop in the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad