RD Bode Wilde (2018, 41st, NYI)

Dec 13, 2010
I know it's very very early for the kid but after the rave reviews from every scout at Tier I nationals it seems like it's worth making a thread. 6'3 200 pound TWD.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncategorized/ontario-player-notes-observations-levels/

While it’s extremely early, remember the name Bode Wilde. The 2000 born defenceman plays for Detroit HoneyBaked U14, and I had the opportunity to see him play a few weeks ago in the Port Huron SilverStick, where he took away tournament MVP Honours. It’s hard not to love what he brings to the table, an agile, 6’3″ defender with excellent feet and offensive tools. His game screams ‘upside’. I wouldn’t put him in the Jakob Chychrun category, but he’s knocking on that door. Not sure what route he will take, but the Montreal-born skater who plays in Detroit will be at the top of either the QMJHL or OHL draft charts next year

Last edited by a moderator:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Any update on what way he's leaning for next season?

He didn't play at Youth Olympics - i'm assuming this was to avoid getting locked in w/ the US for IIHF competition (I say *assuming* b/c it wasn't totally clear to me reading the IIHF regs whether the tournament could lock in a player).

btw - he played for Mission this season, so the thread title should be updated...at least for the next few months.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Any update on what way he's leaning for next season?

He didn't play at Youth Olympics - i'm assuming this was to avoid getting locked in w/ the US for IIHF competition (I say *assuming* b/c it wasn't totally clear to me reading the IIHF regs whether the tournament could lock in a player).

btw - he played for Mission this season, so the thread title should be updated...at least for the next few months.

The Youth Olympics definitely locks a player into a country. That's why is so great that we got guys like Wahlstrom and DeBoer locked in.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The Youth Olympics definitely locks a player into a country. That's why is so great that we got guys like Wahlstrom and DeBoer locked in.

I don't think Wahlstrom had a choice of country he couldn't play for anyone other than USA I believe. Wilde is commited to Harvard but, he could choose OHL, NTDP or another USHL team. These are the most likely options.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

He was never eligible to play for Sweden - US was his only option.

But thanks for clearing up re YO...the IIHF rules (as I read them) seemed ambiguous on their face...but I figured that there was clarity I didn't know about. On a practical note, the fact Wilde wasn't there was pretty much confirmation.

It will be interesting to see where he is next year. My guess is he ends up with an OHL team of his choosing but we'll see...I really don't know.

Do you know why he moved from Honeybaked to Mission for this season?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wahlstrom could have theoretically held out of the YOG and then gone to Sweden for two years, couldn't he? Maybe I'm super off becuase I don't know this stuff super well.

But yeah, Wilde definitely wasn't there because he didn't want to lock himself into a nation.

I'm waiting on tenderhooks to see if he accepts an invite to the NTDP.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Wahlstrom could have theoretically held out of the YOG and then gone to Sweden for two years, couldn't he? Maybe I'm super off becuase I don't know this stuff super well.

But yeah, Wilde definitely wasn't there because he didn't want to lock himself into a nation.

I'm waiting on tenderhooks to see if he accepts an invite to the NTDP.

Wilde was never in consideration for Canada at the YOG. They only looked at players currently playing in Canada.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It's interesting how these kids who are ahead of the pack are usually January birthdays now (McDavid, Day, Veleno, Wilde).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Malcolm Gladwell over here..........

What Gladwell discussed in his book is often misstated and there is a bunch of stuff out there that shows that what he was suggesting is actually inaccurate.

It's interesting how these kids who are ahead of the pack are usually January birthdays now (McDavid, Day, Veleno, Wilde).

McDavid, Day, & Veleno all consistently played up so were typically the youngest kids on their teams.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
McDavid, Day, & Veleno all consistently played up so were typically the youngest kids on their teams.

Which means if they hadn't been early birthdays that would've been much harder for them to do. If they'd been late birthdays it would've almost been 2 years between them and the guys they were playing against. That's a huge difference and probably not very feasible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Which means if they hadn't been early birthdays that would've been much harder for them to do. If they'd been late birthdays it would've almost been 2 years between them and the guys they were playing against. That's a huge difference and probably not very feasible.
Tavares did it as a late birthday, and Spezza was born in June. It will happen again at some point.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
i am not impressed with players born in january and playing " a year up" like above

whats more intriguing in a guy like david Levin who is a september birth month but yet managed to be first overall in ohl draft this past year

and will be eligeable for 2018 draft like folks above

but i digress as i dont think this is the correct thread to discuss

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
if he has not played for USA
got to think hes OHL bound
best exposure ( world jrs) and fastest track to nhl

otherwise will be in the short term passed up for local cdn boys

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
that's a good move in the "Hockey" sense I would guess

will not go OHL then

question: what happens to the Harvard commitment ?

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Code:
that's a good move in the "Hockey" sense I would guess

will not go OHL then

question: what happens to the Harvard commitment ?

The national teams are high school aged kids and usually go straight to their college program after their senior year. The later birth dates will sometimes play another year of juniors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad