RD Anttoni Honka - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2019, 83rd, CAR)

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I wouldn't say NA bias I would say that all of the upper echelon D men aren't as good as in years past so no one is really talking about any of them much at all. I'm sure there's NHL teams who have him towards the top of the list and some that don't.

But right now I'd say it's a race between Byram, York, Soderstrom, Honka, and Vukojevic. Maybe a few others too.
Can't recall any finnish d-men who have scored like Honka or had the kinda advanced stats in draft-1 as him :huh:

Curley

Apr 21, 2012
I wouldn't say NA bias I would say that all of the upper echelon D men aren't as good as in years past so no one is really talking about any of them much at all. I'm sure there's NHL teams who have him towards the top of the list and some that don't.

But right now I'd say it's a race between Byram, York, Soderstrom, Honka, and Vukojevic. Maybe a few others too.

I think Honka is a solid first rounder but I don't think he is big enough to be considered the best defenseman in the draft. Over the last 10 years, the top drafted defensemen have been:

2018: Rasmus Dahlin 6' 3"
2017: Miro Heiskanen 6' 1"
2016: Olli Juolevi 6' 2"
2015: Noah Hanifin 6' 3"
2014: Aaron Ekblad 6' 3"
2013: Seth Jones 6' 4"
2012: Ryan Murray 6' 0"
2011: Adam Larsson 6' 3"
2010: Erik Gudbranson 6' 4"
2009: Viktor Hedman 6' 6"

On average, those guys are 6' 3' and always 6' 0" or taller.

I think the NHL game is changing and perhaps a player under six feet becomes the top defenseman taken, but I would still tend to think the teams will more comfortable drafting bigger.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I think Honka is a solid first rounder but I don't think he is big enough to be considered the best defenseman in the draft. Over the last 10 years, the top drafted defensemen have been:

2018: Rasmus Dahlin 6' 3"
2017: Miro Heiskanen 6' 1"
2016: Olli Juolevi 6' 2"
2015: Noah Hanifin 6' 3"
2014: Aaron Ekblad 6' 3"
2013: Seth Jones 6' 4"
2012: Ryan Murray 6' 0"
2011: Adam Larsson 6' 3"
2010: Erik Gudbranson 6' 4"
2009: Viktor Hedman 6' 6"

On average, those guys are 6' 3' and always 6' 0" or taller.

I think the NHL game is changing and perhaps a player under six feet becomes the top defenseman taken, but I would still tend to think the teams will more comfortable drafting bigger.
Byram who i consider the second best after Honka is 6'0" so there really little size difference between the two. Just look at Honka's game and you can see that he plays bigger than 5'11". His skating is also just incredible so he will be able to handle himself well at the NHL level in the D-end

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Questionable defense, offense is good but not definite NHL level elite. Why should he be a top half of the first round pick?

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I guess Svechnikov and Kakko are also copies of each other.
What are you on about? If you don't like my opinion then please share your's. Tell me why you are not high on Honka's offensive skills and we'll discuss it. Have you even seen him play in Liiga against men :D BTW Kakko and Svechnikov are really different as players. I'd compare Kakko to Matthews and Svech plays more of a speed based game like for example Hall.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Questionable defense, offense is good but not definite NHL level elite. Why should he be a top half of the first round pick?
I have a hard time saying he doesnt have good offense. His ability to walk the blue line alone should allow him to produce points or positively affect the game, hes one of the best prospects Ive seen for that in the last few drafts. Hes also good at creating plays, he has some mega balls in his playmaking and so far, it works most of the time. I like him TBH. Dont think he goes top 10, but then again Im not sure Byram should be a top 10 pick either.

The top three Ds this year seem to all he really "average". 15ish type picks in a regular draft.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Potential to be, if you want.
Yeah in my opinion the shot is their biggest difference. But I think i worded it badly, I initially meant that their skating, style of play and size are really similar. I've been a huge fan of Boqvist and especially his shot after the U17 game against Finland last year. In my opinion though Honka has the better D-game and he has proven his game against men while dominating advanced stats. That's one thing that Boqvist has failed to do. I would have picked both Boqvist and Honka top10 in last years draft. But just imagine as Honka has another year before getting drafted.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
He make some really questionable decisions in his own end with the puck that don't work out a lot of the time. His offensive abilities, mostly his playmaking, are incredible though. If he can clean up his defensive game I could see him sneak into the top 10. My really premature guess is he goes around 15-20.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He make some really questionable decisions in his own end with the puck that don't work out a lot of the time. His offensive abilities, mostly his playmaking, are incredible though. If he can clean up his defensive game I could see him sneak into the top 10. My really premature guess is he goes around 15-20.
I think next season and the increased play with men will teach him to stop f***ing around in his own zone.

Reactions: DieTomi

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are you on about? If you don't like my opinion then please share your's. Tell me why you are not high on Honka's offensive skills and we'll discuss it. Have you even seen him play in Liiga against men :D BTW Kakko and Svechnikov are really different as players. I'd compare Kakko to Matthews and Svech plays more of a speed based game like for example Hall.

So you make a bad comparison based on a very broad type of hockey player, and then are confused when I make a similar comparison?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have a hard time saying he doesnt have good offense. His ability to walk the blue line alone should allow him to produce points or positively affect the game, hes one of the best prospects Ive seen for that in the last few drafts. Hes also good at creating plays, he has some mega balls in his playmaking and so far, it works most of the time. I like him TBH. Dont think he goes top 10, but then again Im not sure Byram should be a top 10 pick either.

The top three Ds this year seem to all he really "average". 15ish type picks in a regular draft.

I didn't say he doesn't have good offense, but is he a lock to be a 40-50 point player per season?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Players who get picked in the top 10. If you are picking them there, thats what you expect.
I wouldnt even classify Dahlin as a lock for 40 50.

Ekblad sure wasnt a lock for it.
Nurse wasnt.
Reinhart wasnt.
Hanifin wasnt.

The list goes on and on, 40 50 is pretty special territory, most years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldnt even classify Dahlin as a lock for 40 50.

Ekblad sure wasnt a lock for it.
Nurse wasnt.
Reinhart wasnt.
Hanifin wasnt.

The list goes on and on, 40 50 is pretty special territory, most years.

I'm talking about offensive defensemen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What offensive Dman have been a lock for 40 or more at 17?

Maybe I wasn't clear. I'll try to be so now.

If you are drafting a player in the top 10 with an offensive defensemen profile, you expect that guy to be a .5PPG player or better. Otherwise, he's probably not going to be the successful for the draft slot that you'd want.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Maybe I wasn't clear. I'll try to be so now.

If you are drafting a player in the top 10 with an offensive defensemen profile, you expect that guy to be a .5PPG player or better. Otherwise, he's probably not going to be the successful for the draft slot that you'd want.
Thats an awfully specific parameter.

He has offensive potential for 40ish, and he has potential to be a top four D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad