RD Alec Regula (2018, 67th, DET; traded to CHI; traded to BOS)

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Played on the Chicago Steel this past season. He was committed to the University of Michigan but he signed with the Knights today.

He's a very big guy - listed at 6'4, 184 pounds on hockeydb.

Anyone who's seen him play have any more info on this guy?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
In my eyes, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a Regular in the NHL.
thought I'd get that one out of the way

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He’s been good defensively and plays a ton of minutes in London with Evan Bouchard, but he doesn’t really provide much if any offense. Could be a mid/late round pick.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He’s been good defensively and plays a ton of minutes in London with Evan Bouchard, but he doesn’t really provide much if any offense. Could be a mid/late round pick.

Disagree completely. He's inching close to my top 10 (of OHL'ers available). And I think he'll end up being one of the first five defenders off the board from the OHL this year.

Size, mobility, and the offensive side of things is really progressing. Starting to see him carry the puck and work with Bouchard as a dynamic 1/2. There have been times lately where I thought it was Bouchard leading that breakout, but then realized it was Regula once I saw the number.

I can tell you, this guy has major fans within the scouting community and London Knights management (and the scouting team there) have extremely high hopes for him as a two-way force.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Disagree completely. He's inching close to my top 10 (of OHL'ers available). And I think he'll end up being one of the first five defenders off the board from the OHL this year.

Size, mobility, and the offensive side of things is really progressing. Starting to see him carry the puck and work with Bouchard as a dynamic 1/2. There have been times lately where I thought it was Bouchard leading that breakout, but then realized it was Regula once I saw the number.

I can tell you, this guy has major fans within the scouting community and London Knights management (and the scouting team there) have extremely high hopes for him as a two-way force.
I trust you, as I know you watch more OHL than me, but from what I’ve seen, I would easily take Bouchard, Merkley, Sandin, Bahl, Vallati, and Gross before him, maybe even a few others. The year is still young, but maybe I’ve just caught a few bad viewings.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He's been so reliable and like Brock said, his offensive game is progressing.

I really think he'll go in the first three rounds at least.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I trust you, as I know you watch more OHL than me, but from what I’ve seen, I would easily take Bouchard, Merkley, Sandin, Bahl, Vallati, and Gross before him, maybe even a few others. The year is still young, but maybe I’ve just caught a few bad viewings.

The progression has really shown in the last month/month and a half. Early on, I would have agreed with you. Looked tentative at both ends and was really just a big, mobile defender who didn't do a heck of a lot.

But he's a totally different player now. I'd only take Bouchard and Merkley ahead of him (definitively), with Bahl and Sandin being close. Could see myself having Regula ranked 3rd of that group by season's end if he continues his progression.

Reactions: zman77

horner

May 22, 2007
The progression has really shown in the last month/month and a half. Early on, I would have agreed with you. Looked tentative at both ends and was really just a big, mobile defender who didn't do a heck of a lot.

But he's a totally different player now. I'd only take Bouchard and Merkley ahead of him (definitively), with Bahl and Sandin being close. Could see myself having Regula ranked 3rd of that group by season's end if he continues his progression.

And one of the youngest players in the draft

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Sleeper candidate for a breakout D+1 season next year.

Feel like he'll be on Toronto's radar come draft day, given their London connection and recent draft history targeting big, project defenders (e.g. Middleton, Gordeev, Nielsen, Mattinen, Greenway, Rasanen, etc.).

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Sleeper candidate for a breakout D+1 season next year.

Feel like he'll be on Toronto's radar come draft day, given their London connection and recent draft history targeting big, project defenders (e.g. Middleton, Gordeev, Nielsen, Mattinen, Greenway, Rasanen, etc.).

I hope so. I would pick him as high as our 2nd if we had to (prefer our 3rd though). He checks a lot of Hunter's boxes and he's a RD which is an area of need in our system.

Reactions: zman77

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I'm thinking he might go in the 2nd round at this point.
He has a lot going for him--size, skating, right hand shot, very young for draft, positionally sound, well spoken and intelligent. I liked what I saw and would love to see Sabres get him. Just not sure whether he is worth #32 and he will not last to Sabres next pick.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He has a lot going for him--size, skating, right hand shot, very young for draft, positionally sound, well spoken and intelligent. I liked what I saw and would love to see Sabres get him. Just not sure whether he is worth #32 and he will not last to Sabres next pick.

I don't think he's worth #32 - he's still too raw in a lot of areas. I found that he struggled in the Owen Sound series.

Sabres should just wait until their pick in the nineties and just hope he's still there.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Has had a great season so far + has scored lots of goals and points as well.

So far 20 goals and 44 points (0.98 ppg).
Is +23 with 51 penalty minutes and 136 shots on goal.

Leads the team in PP goals (14), thou McMichael has 14 as well.
2nd in game winning goals (4), 2nd in short handed goals (1)
3rd in +/-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad