RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
No because he’s an NHL caliber player and is only losing years on his playing career. He’s going to make millions of dollars playing hockey. He can always go back to school.

While a degree from Harvard is prestigious, it’s still only a Bachelor of Arts. It only gets you so far (I know I have one and a 3.8 GPA to boot). You need a masters or a professional degree in the modern job market. And say Fox is trying to join law school, most law schools look at a combo or your GPA and your LSAT (I know because I’ve been through the process). Where you went to school isn’t as important as it’s made out to be.

While that is your opinion and I respect it, most people are of the opinion that having a Harvard degree pretty much sets you up for life after hockey. Most playing careers are done by the time the player has turned 30.

Reactions: irunthepeg

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If you go to Harvard for hockey the best thing you can do for yourself is graduate. The money you make I'm the AHL that year early or 1 year of bottom pair play isn't worth a Harvard degree no matter how obscure that degree is. It's one of the top sought after universities in the country. He is best left graduating and testing free agency but hopefully he would choose Calgary because I hate that loophole. But leaving Harvard early when pro athlete careers on average are so short (not stars but your average player). It is worth 3 years of NHL money because that degree pays for life 30 years after play.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
NHL has to do something about drafted NCAA players .. staying in school and then becoming UFAs. Some kind of compensation, or have the NCAA player be an RFA instead of a UFA
Honestly I don't think for the most part NHL teams have to worry much about it except ivy league guys but as of late the 4 year thing has cost teams some good players Vessey and Butcher was the same deal. I guess sometimes teams don't treat the guy right and don't sign him or underestimate him and when he breaks out you act like you believed in him the whole team I don't blame your ass then haha.

So I feel there should be some type of rule change. After 2 years you offer a contract/a option that the kid and team both want to stay together and develop in that system 2 more years or you can option to not keep the kid and he re-enters the draft. If you offer contract and he declines you get a pick at the start of whatever round he was drafted in UNLESS it was first round in which case if he was top 15 you get the first non lotto pick and if he was last 16 you get a conditional end of the round pick. If you keep him and he wants to leave somewhere free agency after 4 year it's an offersheet. It gives the team a fair chance to keep players and a chance for players to stay with the team, redraft, or the offer sheets.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No because he’s an NHL caliber player and is only losing years on his playing career. He’s going to make millions of dollars playing hockey. He can always go back to school.

While a degree from Harvard is prestigious, it’s still only a Bachelor of Arts. It only gets you so far (I know I have one and a 3.8 GPA to boot). You need a masters or a professional degree in the modern job market. And say Fox is trying to join law school, most law schools look at a combo or your GPA and your LSAT (I know because I’ve been through the process). Where you went to school isn’t as important as it’s made out to be.
Do you have a Harvard degree?

Besides, you are oversimplifying this. Fox is not guaranteed to make millions during his career, nor is it so simple to just go back to Harvard.

I know this is a touchy subject for Flames fans, but the possibility of Fox going UFA is there, and it should be considered. However, keep in mind that nothing prevents him from graduating and then signing with the Flames.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lol at flames fans saying he was our best defensive prospect. Guess the tone has changed now that he was essentially thrown in to get some resemblance of value.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
NHL has to do something about drafted NCAA players .. staying in school and then becoming UFAs. Some kind of compensation, or have the NCAA player be an RFA instead of a UFA

They don't need to do anything, they give up four years of not playing in the NHL to pick where they want to go.

Seems fair to me.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol at flames fans saying he was our best defensive prospect. Guess the tone has changed now that he was essentially thrown in to get some resemblance of value.

Essentially once Calgary drafted Juuso, it made Fox very expendable.
Both Valimaki and Andersson have some serious upside. Calgary also got Hanifin in the deal with Carolina. Who also has some serious upside.

Fox was a wildcard in our system. Our actual management group doesn't have great things to say about this kids' character either. Having gone through the Doug Saga, Tanguay Saga and Brouwer Saga within the past 5 years; I doubt Calgary wants to add more people who don't want to be here if things aren't going their way.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
People are so up in arms over college players yet junior players and European league players can do the same exact thing and refuse to sign a contract.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I can see why every single NCAA player would want to stay 4 years. Unless you’re guaranteed to make to be playing in the NHL, you really aren’t making that much money.

You get to be a 20 something year old kid, playing hockey, living a life that you probably won’t get another opportunity to do. You’re the cock of the walk, big guy on campus and the college lifestyle is quite frankly, some of the most fun years of your life. The offers will still be there no matter what, unless you’re a 1st rounder, you’re better off staying in school.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

A degree from Harvard + being known in the hockey world basically guarantees you some sort of job in the hockey world afterwards. Hockey is still very much an old boys club, and the network players get that actually want to pursue a career in business gets them into the door in a fairly decent position.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Why would you bump a thread from months ago? What's your angle here?
no clue...still laughing at him being a "throw in" .... couldn't be further from the truth...Doug MacLean and Kypreos a few weeks back were talking about this trade and how Fox was that coveted piece for Carolina to move out a young Hanifin..not saying the deal doesnt get done without Fox, but clearly Carolina wanted this guy more than just a complimentary piece.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
no clue...still laughing at him being a "throw in" .... couldn't be further from the truth...Doug MacLean and Kypreos a few weeks back were talking about this trade and how Fox was that coveted piece for Carolina to move out a young Hanifin..not saying the deal doesnt get done without Fox, but clearly Carolina wanted this guy more than just a complimentary piece.

People really didn't read into what I said the right way. What I'm implying is that a fanbase can quickly change their tone once a player is traded out of town, that was all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad