RD Adam Boqvist, London Knights - 8th overall 2018

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The smurf talk about NHL players nowadays is just oldschoolers longing for the days of the past with nothing but line brawls, reckless hits, and fighting to make the game exciting for them. It's so dumb. And to consider kids that are 6'0 and 180lbs smurfs is just borderline idiotic.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
The smurf talk about NHL players nowadays is just oldschoolers longing for the days of the past with nothing but line brawls, reckless hits, and fighting to make the game exciting for them. It's so dumb. And to consider kids that are 6'0 and 180lbs smurfs is just borderline idiotic.
And they’re freaking teenagers, lol. Do people not remember what they looked like as a teenager compared to mid twenties?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
You say that as if there's something wrong with that. :sarcasm:

Seriously though size is nothing if you don't play like it, and skill and speed are awesome as well. You need the right balance based on the personnel and the gameplan--as well as the right gameplan for the personnel. For the 'hawks a little size brought to bear along the boards, in front of the oppositions net, and clearing out our crease would be nice but in the same token I really want to see what Kane and El Gato do on the same line together...and it's not like The Joker isn't able to carry the mail like Leddy used to for us with his speed.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Anybody think Hawks give him a shot to play on opening night if he has a great camp/preseason, shows he can run an NHL powerplay and beats out Joker for a spot (I think Joker gets every opportunity to play with Keith)

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Does the whole 9/10 games rule reset season to season or is it that way for the players whole chl career?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Anybody think Hawks give him a shot to play on opening night if he has a great camp/preseason, shows he can run an NHL powerplay and beats out Joker for a spot (I think Joker gets every opportunity to play with Keith)
Personally, I think it should be a raw meritocracy: We ice the best 6 D-men in the lineup whoever it is. Granted, it can't always work that way since you can't leave your high-priced vets in the pressbox for a long period of time.

If Boqvist is one of the 6 best by all means he should play no matter who he knocks off the roster--Joker or otherwise. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

Realistically though I think Boqvist gets played like Joker last season--give him some time in the CHL to acclimate to the NA game even if he's a bit above that league. In fact, I'm not even so sure Joker makes it. We got Keith, Seabs, Murph, Goose, Rutta, and Manning *all* signed on D and all on 1M+ deals. Plus, Joker's slide-eligible. Something tells me Joker (and Boqvist) will get a fair shot but I think he'll (They'll) have to be head-and-shoulders above quite a few guys on D--like enough for Stan, Q, or both of them to want to keep 1M or 2M sitting in the pressbox fetching Eddie-O his soft serve.

I could be wrong, though. I do think if rumor has it that the 'hawks are still looking for D-help and they acquire yet another D-man without sending one out we won't see Boqvist or Joker this season.

Does the whole 9/10 games rule reset season to season or is it that way for the players whole chl career?
I believe it applies to players aged 18 or 19 by September 15th, so not quite their whole career. But to my knowledge yes, the contract can slide twice. So, Boqvist turns 18 in August. He can slide this year if he plays less than 10 games. Next year he turns 19, and I believe the 10 games reset, so he could slide again. Year after he's 20 and it doesn't get to slide even if he's playing for the Knights.

Reactions: Blue Liner

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hell no, he's 17.
He turns 18 in August, but I still think realistically your point stands. He would have to have a majorly impressive training camp to stay with the 'hawks as opposed to London. But even then we got 6 D-men all tied up in 1M+ contracts and all are waivers-eligible. Unless one moves I'm still a little leery that even a more seasoned Joker gets much of a look since you're having either Goose or Manning sitting in the pressbox every night; they wouldn't let Joker rot away.

I think Boqvist probably sees a good chunk of games in the preseason but goes to London prior to the start of the season. I think Joker sees about 7-9 games but is sent down as well--especially if Crawford is not playing and can't bail out the D...they'll let their deals slide and regroup next year if this looks like a throw-away year.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The best reason for Jokiharju to play for the Hawks this season is to start the "experience clock" ticking. Unless he completely gaffes it - he should be going through his learning curve sooner than later because the Hawks will have other young d-men breaking in the following season and the season after that one. Hopefully by 2020/21, Joki and Sikura have 2 season of experience under their belt and Boqvist and one or two others have one season of experience. The objective is to get the young core guys up to speed as quickly as possible to hopefully be productive before the old core's productivity wanes too much.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Who are the members of the smurf crew?

Mitchell? Boqvist? Joker?

All three are listed at like 6'0 and 170+ pounds. Joker is listed at 180+. All three probably end up around 6'0 and 185lbs or so when all is said and done, as far as strength gains as they mature/develop. Not sure when 6'0 and 170-190lbs became "smurfy". Hell, Boqvist probably ends up around 6'1 and 185lbs or better. Did you see his frame? He can add a lot of lean muscle/strength. And he's 17... still growing some.

Noted smurf Jeremy Roenick

It is always advisable for a young man entering the National Hockey League to exercise humility. But Jeremy Roenick, whose physique was a cross between a thermometer and a 2-iron, took bashful to an extreme when he first showed up with the Blackhawks in 1988.

"I was afraid to take my shirt off," he recalled. "I was 158 pounds. Before the draft that summer, my agent, Neil Abbott, told me never to appear in public with my shirt off because he didn't want teams to see how skinny I was.

People have unrealistic expectations of how big kids entering the NHL are supposed to be.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Boqvist could run an NHL powerplay now but he needs to adjust to the NHL size rink and the defensive game. There is no point in rushing him, yet.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Boqvist could run an NHL powerplay now but he needs to adjust to the NHL size rink and the defensive game. There is no point in rushing him, yet.
Same could be said about The Joker. Be it this year or next if either or both stick there is no logical reason to ever see Keith on the PP again.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
we have to remember, Keith, Seabs, and Sharpie all were up producing during some shit seasons before the rest of the cavalry arrived...I am game for Joker getting time right now, and getting Sikura, Hayden, and Hillman in there as well...we need these kids in their 2nd/3rd years of pro hockey when Boqvist, Mitchell, Krys, Wise, etc all hit the show.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If you go back in time on HF you will find a ton of posts about moving Keith to Forward because he was so terrible for his first two seasons. I went deep diving in old HF 2-3 years ago. Fascinating takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->