RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't watch the whole tournament, so I might've missed the games he didn't play well, but the last game and parts of the second to last game, and I thought Boqvist was excellent. He was running the game from his RD spot. He was really solid defensively, as well. I agree that he didn't have good puck luck in these matches. He was creating his team's best scoring chances, and his teammates wouldn't finish the chances he created. But then they'd finish a much worse chance when he wasn't on the ice or was on the ice and wouldn't get a point.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Stop with the excuses.
He didn’t have a good tournament.
Won’t kill him, but it’s a wake up call.
He needed to be better. That’s what comes with high rankings. You get critiqued.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Whats the argument that he shouldn't go top 5?
I am simply asking the question.
I haven't seen him play a ton, just basically international tourneys, but statistically his season in Sweden looks to be not as good as Liljegren's (who had mono and a hip injury) who went 17th OA in what people were calling a weak draft, but yet Boqvist who seems to have the same defensive criticisms as Liljegren had, is currently top 5 in a strong draft, without the mono or the hip injury. I mean he is currently playing in SuperElit, not Allsvenskan or the SHL, is he not?
I really like his game from what I have seen, and like him as a prospect, but I am just wondering if he is worthy of a top 5 pick.
He didn't exactly light up the 5 Nations tourney, and he should of as a top 5 prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he actually did pretty well, from what I watched. If his teammates don't finish the chances the creates, what can he do?

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017

You have got to be kidding.
All this means is that he most likely had the most icetime (which he did) played the most on pp (which he did) and didn’t get the job done.
“Secondary shot assists”?
Give me a break.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
All this means is that he most likely had the most icetime (which he did) played the most on pp (which he did) and didn’t get the job done.
Give me a break.

These graphs show 5-on-5 plays only. Also, did you not notice that Boqvist was often not even used on the 1st PP unit (Bendelin...)?

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think he actually did pretty well, from what I watched. If his teammates don't finish the chances the creates, what can he do?
Was Liljegren afforded the same slack when he was 2nd in the U18's last year for shots on goal, generating a ton of scoring chances, but it didn't show up on the scoresheet? Just saying.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Give me a break.

Well that infographic (or whatever it's called) is more than you've come up with. So far all I've seen from your comments is "he was bad". Care to substantiate it since you're so vocal in your criticism?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was Liljegren afforded the same slack when he was 2nd in the U18's last year for shots on goal, generating a ton of scoring chances, but it didn't show up on the scoresheet? Just saying.

In my opinion Boqvist is a way smarter player and makes fewer mistakes with the puck. At the NHL level where every mistake can end up in the back of the net I think that's a pretty important aspect of the game that can't be overlooked when evaluating a player.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I am simply asking the question.
I haven't seen him play a ton, just basically international tourneys, but statistically his season in Sweden looks to be not as good as Liljegren's (who had mono and a hip injury) who went 17th OA in what people were calling a weak draft, but yet Boqvist who seems to have the same defensive criticisms as Liljegren had, is currently top 5 in a strong draft, without the mono or the hip injury. I mean he is currently playing in SuperElit, not Allsvenskan or the SHL, is he not?
I really like his game from what I have seen, and like him as a prospect, but I am just wondering if he is worthy of a top 5 pick.
He didn't exactly light up the 5 Nations tourney, and he should of as a top 5 prospect.

You're giving Liljegren too much credit for 5 points in 19 SHL games. It's not as though those numbers jump off the page by any means, and many who watched him closely were not impressed by him. On the previous page, a poster wrote in detail the struggles shown by Liljegren last year. Most would argue against Liljegren putting up a better season statistically than Boqvist in their draft eligible seasons, but you seems stuck on 5 points in 19 games giving Liljegren the edge, even though Boqvist's ice-time in his SHL games has been limited.
Maybe Boqvist slips out of the top 5, but he'll be a top 10 pick. His skating, offensive abilities, intelligence and upside make him a very intriguing prospect.

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
I guess, based on this tournament, he will definitely drop from the discussion as a runner up against Dahlin (if there ever was such a discussion…) and he might also drop from top 5. The “hype-factor” will go down if you don´t score and it might also influence scouts.
However, I argue that almost every offensive D-man that starts playing on pro-level will drop in scoring, also on a junior level. There are many reasons to why this will happen but the two most obvious ones are that you need to adjust your game to make fewer mistakes. Also, you probably won´t get as much TOI and limited chances to play in PP.

So, I guess the scouts would be looking for improvements in Adams game in the defensive end. That’s where his improvements should be this year. If you can´t see his huge upside in the offensive zone and the way he brings it there, you won´t be a scout for long.

Reactions: VictorLustig
Mar 14, 2015
Give me a break.

"You have to he kidding", "Give me a break". And you cant even manage to read what stats it is.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
In J20, playing 30 minutes a night, producing like he should.

In SHL, barely plays.

In Allsvenskan, played 2nd pair the 1st go around, the 2nd set of games, played 3rd pair and PP. Didn't produce much.

Struggles against men, not just in the physical aspect but bad reads period. Any hard forecheck and was easily forced into bad decisions.

I see the offensive upside, but is he doing anything better than Erik Brannstrom did last year?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
In J20, playing 30 minutes a night, producing like he should.

In SHL, barely plays.

In Allsvenskan, played 2nd pair the 1st go around, the 2nd set of games, played 3rd pair and PP. Didn't produce much.

Struggles against men, not just in the physical aspect but bad reads period. Any hard forecheck and was easily forced into bad decisions.

I see the offensive upside, but is he doing anything better than Erik Brannstrom did last year?

Brannstrom was definitely more polished than Boqvist in their draft year, a player like Boqvist is more about scouting and projecting tho. He carries some risk but offensively he's very dynamic and people are dreaming about him being the 2nd coming of Karlsson, which is where a lot of the hype comes from.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Very much hoping the Rangers get a chance at Boqvist considering they're very unlikely to sniff Dahlin. I liked how he looked at the WJC

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Whatever his stats are, I would not be nitpicking them comparing them to other players. For me this is the best Swedish D man available in a draft since Hedman, and obcourse Dahlin bar none. If Boqvist went #2 or #3 this draft. I would have no problem with this.

Going to be a terric player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad