RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This doesn't lock him into the Knights. We could still see a situation like Roslovic who signed with London, but was good enough at the Jets training camp, they sent him to the AHL.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
This doesn't lock him into the Knights. We could still see a situation like Roslovic who signed with London, but was good enough at the Jets training camp, they sent him to the AHL.
True, but unless he's good enough to play top pairing minutes in Rockford, they probably keep him in London.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If a player can't play in the SHL or AHL the season after being drafted, they aren't worth a top 10 pick.
I wouldn't go to that extreme. 18 year old Blake Wheeler would have been killed in pro-hockey at that age (he went to the USHL for his D+1). There are a bunch of other examples of guys who would probably have issues. It seems like a disaster to have put Alex Nylander in pro-hockey at 18, and its not like we have seen a great return on rushing guys like Milano and Honka into it.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The Hawks have about 500 d-men signed to play in AHL Rockford. Maybe that had something to do with having him play in London. Or, because he is still only 17 maybe they think playing JR against his age group is an easier transition to NA rink size and style. Plus it's not like Dale Hunter and the London program don't do an outstanding job of getting top players prepared for the next level. Regardless, I like the move.

Kinda neat to think maybe he and Bouchard play together, although that means one of them has to play their off wing - if so I hope it's Boqvist because I would like him to get some experience playing LD. The Hawks top 4 draft picks the last two years have all been d-men - three of them RD (Boqvist, Jokiharju, and Mitchell) and one LD (Beaudin) - so it would be nice if Boqvist can get comfortable playing LD.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If a player can't play in the SHL or AHL the season after being drafted, they aren't worth a top 10 pick.
That's absolutely not true. A player can be a top ten pick because they're close to NHL ready OR because they have potential. Boqvist has the potential obviously, so he deserved to go where he went, even if he's not quite ready to play against men.

Also, the kid is still 17 for another month. One of the youngest players in the draft.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's absolutely not true. A player can be a top ten pick because they're close to NHL ready OR because they have potential. Boqvist has the potential obviously, so he deserved to go where he went, even if he's not quite ready to play against men.

Also, the kid is still 17 for another month. One of the youngest players in the draft.

I was talking about the principle. I think Boqvist should be playing in the SHL or AHL.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I was talking about the principle. I think Boqvist should be playing in the SHL or AHL.
If he excels in training camp and the prospects camp, he'll go to the AHL. But again, he's 17. Not easy to play in such a competitive league.

He could play in the SHL, but his team is loaded on defense and he wouldn't be put in a position to succeed. OHL just makes sense right now for him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would trust the Hawks here. Boqvist is 17 still. A year in NA to transition to the ice surface is a good idea IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he excels in training camp and the prospects camp, he'll go to the AHL. But again, he's 17. Not easy to play in such a competitive league.

He could play in the SHL, but his team is loaded on defense and he wouldn't be put in a position to succeed. OHL just makes sense right now for him.

He'll be 18 at the start of the season, and I think he should've been playing in the SHL last season.

Reactions: Kalleteodor

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
He'll be 18 at the start of the season, and I think he should've been playing in the SHL last season.

He wasn't good enough to crack Brynäs' line-up last season. Had he stayed this year, he would have played though. IMO that would have been the best choice for him.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
I think London could be a good destination for him, but I wonder how the minutes will be shared between him and Bouchard as they both fill a similar role. I guess good news for Bouchard and the Oilers though, this would allow him to work more on his defensive game and also not having to play 30+ minutes a game. Or maybe this makes it more alluring for the Oilers keep him in the NHL? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think London could be a good destination for him, but I wonder how the minutes will be shared between him and Bouchard as they both fill a similar role. I guess good news for Bouchard and the Oilers though, this would allow him to work more on his defensive game and also not having to play 30+ minutes a game. Or maybe this makes it more alluring for the Oilers keep him in the NHL? Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
They'll play on the same line. Similar minutes.

Reactions: TheCoach

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He should play were he gets some challange and a lot of time playing. SHL or AHL in wich place he gets most playing time.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Love this prospect. Boqvist has quite an uncanny ability to transition from offense to defense with his elite skating and really hard, crisp passing. The way he weaves through the neutral zone and finds the perfect lane to attack almost every time speaks volumes to his extremely high hockey IQ. Where he really does his damage though is with his cannon of a shot and cross ice passes. Both of these tools in his arsenal are precise and strong and he gets them off without a second thought. One of the best wrist shots in the draft and his slap shot is very very good as well.

Reactions: VictorLustig

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Love this prospect. Boqvist has quite an uncanny ability to transition from offense to defense with his elite skating and really hard, crisp passing. The way he weaves through the neutral zone and finds the perfect lane to attack almost every time speaks volumes to his extremely high hockey IQ. Where he really does his damage though is with his cannon of a shot and cross ice passes. Both of these tools in his arsenal are precise and strong and he gets them off without a second thought. One of the best wrist shots in the draft and his slap shot is very very good as well.

How long time do you think he has to develop before he joins NHL?

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
How long time do you think he has to develop before he joins NHL?
I think his realistic timetable would be the 2020/21 season although I wouldn't be surprised if he only needed one year in London before making the jump. He needs to build quite a bit of strength and work on his defensive game but he'll be able to do both quite well with London.

If he is as dominant in the OHL as I think he could be, he'll be in the NHL the next year. Is he eligible to play in the AHL for the 2019/20 season? If so I think he would go there if he still needs some maturing but maybe a year back in the SHL is in the cards.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Who does London have coming in offensively? With a one-two punch of these elite scoring defenseman, they are going to need someone to give the puck to.

Pu is gone, very possible Thomas is gone, and there’s a chance Formenton is gone.

Foudy and crowd is not much talent even for a junior team. Tkachuk coming in could help, but that’s very unlikely.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who does London have coming in offensively? With a one-two punch of these elite scoring defenseman, they are going to need someone to give the puck to.

Pu is gone, very possible Thomas is gone, and there’s a chance Formenton is gone.

Foudy and crowd is not much talent even for a junior team. Tkachuk coming in could help, but that’s very unlikely.

Antonio Stranges

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Thomas isn't on London to begin with.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW

The Knights have an extremely talented crop of 16 year olds coming in this year (Evangelista, Stranges, and Panwar). As well, Matvei Guskov may be coming to London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad