RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
Brynas made it to the quarter finals after winning against Lulea yesterday. Brynas now has 7 D-men that played in the cupfinal last season. So, it shouldn´t come as a surprise that Adam was not on the roster in the last game and probably not in the games to come.
However, Adam Boqvist played in the J20 playoff instead. In two games against Sodertalje he had 3 goals and 2 assists in two wins (4-2 and 3-2). It looked like this (no 16).

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I just looked up his stats and he's got a grand total of 3 points in 22 games. Is this normal for a dman with high offensive upside? How is his upside judged if he's not producing? He's also rather small at 5.09 and 154 lbs.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
I just looked up his stats and he's got a grand total of 3 points in 22 games. Is this normal for a dman with high offensive upside? How is his upside judged if he's not producing? He's also rather small at 5.09 and 154 lbs.

Karlsson had 1 point in 13 games. Since we apparently only care about stats against men.

How could any Canadian have high offensive upside when none of them have any points?!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
If you play in average 5 min per game and, in the games with Brynas, not on pp I think it´s not bad. Normal TOI for a producing D-man is at least 20 min. So, you can start by multiply his stats by four and then add points generated in pp by the top guys.
Also, he is 5´11 and 170 lbs according to eliteprospects.com. When you are 17 you are still growing you know…

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Ok, he struggled against men. This is the usual fall back position of every fan of of every player playing against older player if their numbers are weak. Kupari, struggles against men, Boqvist, struggles against men, Tkachuk struggles against older more mature NCAA players etc.....
If you are gauging his performance vs peers, how was his 5 nations tournamemt?
How were his results?
His performance?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

Nicklas Bäckström had 0 points in 19 games in the same league, being one year older, and he was still seen as a big talent. It's the same story for pretty much every player.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Ok, he struggled against men. This is the usual fall back position of every fan of of every player playing against older player if their numbers are weak. Kupari, struggles against men, Boqvist, struggles against men, Tkachuk struggles against older more mature NCAA players etc.....
If you are gauging his performance vs peers, how was his 5 nations tournamemt?
How were his results?
His performance?

I wouldn't even call it a struggle..

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Horrendous point production, playing 5 mins a game and getting sat is not struggling?
How was his 5 Nations tournament?
And don’t say “I thought his defensive play has improved”
Be honest in any assessment.
I may be tough on Boqvist and Kupari etc, but it’s a little frustrating hearing the same excuses over and over.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Horrendous point production, playing 5 mins a game and getting sat is not struggling?
I may be tough on Boqvist and Kupari etc, but it’s a little frustrating hearing the same excuses over and over.

You want me to talk about his 5 nation tournament and to not mention his defensive play got better? Yet he was tied for 2nd in his team in the +/- ratio with +3 in 4 games in that tournament. But if you want to raise red flags because of his lack of offensive production in 4 games, be my guest. smfh

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
If Boqvist defended half as well as most defend his performance in higher leagues and 5 Nations he’d go first overall guaranteed.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Nicklas Bäckström had 0 points in 19 games in the same league, being one year older, and he was still seen as a big talent. It's the same story for pretty much every player.

Bäckström was the same age as Boqvist when he put up those numbers. Then there is also Anze Kopitar's 0 points in 15 games. Meanwhile, Magnus Paajarvi, Robert Nilsson, Jacob Josefson and Jesper Mattsson all had more than 15 points in the SHL.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I wasn't questioning his upside but rather genuinely asking the question of how his upside is judged if he's not producing and only playing 5 minutes a game some games? I guess scouts can see the raw potential but to me that carries more risk since one is assuming a player will produce given the raw skills they show.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I wasn't questioning his upside but rather genuinely asking the question of how his upside is judged if he's not producing and only playing 5 minutes a game some games? I guess scouts can see the raw potential but to me that carries more risk since one is assuming a player will produce given the raw skills they show.

He's played quite a lot of minutes in the junior league and in international tournaments.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

My assessment was that he played very well. Did you stat-watch or watch? He lead the tournament in scoring chances created, but it didn't show up in the points column. Defensive play factors in, I thought he was very good defensively at that tournament.

Should we only judge the points?

Reactions: Kalleteodor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->