RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Brynas may have a weak roster this year but not on defense. Many experts ranked Brynas defense as best in the league pre-season. Due to long term injury on one of the players they also had to many D-men on contract (9). That’s why Boqvist having a hard time making the roster.

He´s playing this evening though as no 6 in rank probably getting some TOI as well.

Yes, before the season Brynäs defense was ranked quite highly but that does not really matter since once the season started Brynäs defense looked quite terrible, and some of their defensemen has underachived big time. They sent Zanetti to Hv71 early on in the season because of how poorly he played - he only played 7 games for Brynäs. After that they have had 8 defensemen on their roster (+ Boqvist) for the rest of the season. Brynäs also have had plenty of injuries to their defensemen.

If we look at games played so far for Brynäs defensemen (not counting Zanetti and his 7 games):

Gunderson 41 out of 50 games played
Carlsson 44 out of 50 games played
Fälth 38 out of 50 games played
Kilström 47 out of 50 games played
Bertilsson 37 out of 50 games played
Sundqvist 37 out of 50 games played
Ersson 36 out of 50 games played
Larsson 44 ouf of 50 games played

In total 76 missed games, on average Brynäs have had 1 or 2 defensemen missing every game so far. There have been plenty of games where they could have put Boqvist in the line-up if they thought he was good enough.

If we look at what should have been Brynäs offensive defensemen before the season (Gunderson, Carlsson, Fälth and Larsson) then we can see that Larsson has been a huge let down with 2 points in 44 games, I'm sure Boqvist would have taken his spot a long time ago if he could just handle playing defense, mainly the physical aspect of it, versus SHL-competition but Boqist did not really impress when he played in the SHL.

I'm not saying Boqvist is a bust or anything like that, he is still a great prospects and probably #2 behind Dahlin among swedish prospects in this years draft. He just needs to get some upper body strength and learn how to play to his strengths while playing defense. As it is right now his weaknesses are too easy to exploit for bigger and stronger opponents and it is something you could/can see when he played in both in SHL, Allsvenskan and at times in J20 SuperElit as well.

Reactions: TheWhiskeyThief

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
A lot of what you say is true, Ferros, but if you have 8 D-men under contract those guys will have first shot on the roster, at least playing in SHL and especially with Sjodin as GM. Boqvist has been on the roster every time there has been room for him. I also think it’s hard to be able to show a good game if you only get to play 5 minutes, especially with Boqvists style of play. So, when you argue “Boqist did not really impress when he played in the SHL” I say, did he really get the chance?

All in all, if you have Boqvist on your team of course you need to exploit his strengths in offense. Players like that needs to do a few mistakes to be able to do more positive things. In a way you need to go all in to get the benefits.

By the way, Boqvist was the only top-6 D-man in Brynas without a minus yesterday. The game had a lot of penalties and because he didn’t play in PP or Bp he had limited TOI. Hera are the highlight of Boqvists game (If you are Jersey fan you may notice he interacts with his brother (no 90) a couple of times). Adam has no 7.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
A lot of what you say is true, Ferros, but if you have 8 D-men under contract those guys will have first shot on the roster, at least playing in SHL and especially with Sjodin as GM. Boqvist has been on the roster every time there has been room for him. I also think it’s hard to be able to show a good game if you only get to play 5 minutes, especially with Boqvists style of play. So, when you argue “Boqist did not really impress when he played in the SHL” I say, did he really get the chance?

All in all, if you have Boqvist on your team of course you need to exploit his strengths in offense. Players like that needs to do a few mistakes to be able to do more positive things. In a way you need to go all in to get the benefits.

By the way, Boqvist was the only top-6 D-man in Brynas without a minus yesterday. The game had a lot of penalties and because he didn’t play in PP or Bp he had limited TOI. Hera are the highlight of Boqvists game (If you are Jersey fan you may notice he interacts with his brother (no 90) a couple of times). Adam has no 7.

Thanks for this. I think he was coached to play a safer SHL game when he was up judging by the drastic differences in play that I saw in his last two SHL games. I missed the game against Linkoping, judging from your clips it looks like he was let off the leash a little bit.

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
Thanks for this. I think he was coached to play a safer SHL game when he was up judging by the drastic differences in play that I saw in his last two SHL games. I missed the game against Linkoping, judging from your clips it looks like he was let off the leash a little bit.
Yes, because Brynas really has been struggling this year the coach mantra is “defense first” and if you make a mistake you will be benched. You may notice that all the highlights are from the third period. By then Brynas already was down by 3 goals. I guess the instructions to Adam entering third was “go for it”.

Reactions: KillEmAll83

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks as well
I like the breadth of experience Boqvist is getting this season, but if the Canucks draft him at 2 I would be absolutely shocked. If the Canucks are at 2 and they're looking at Boqvist, I think they should take an asset to move down and take Bouchard or one of the other tier-1 defenseman available in the top 15.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I was at this game yesterday, and sitting behind the goal where this happened. We were tracking Boqvist and Dahlin specifically and were actually impressed by his puck-handling leading up to this moment. Shades of Steve Smith here, but it ruined an otherwise impressive game by Boqvist.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I was at this game yesterday, and sitting behind the goal where this happened. We were tracking Boqvist and Dahlin specifically and were actually impressed by his puck-handling leading up to this moment. Shades of Steve Smith here, but it ruined an otherwise impressive game by Boqvist.

-3 and on ice for 4 goals against? Quite impressive.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
In a game that was meaningless for both teams. And Boqvist is 17 years old playing pro-hockey in the 3rd best league in the world.

A meaningless game for both sides where he got buried anyway.

Didn't play again last night when the games count.

What in his body of work this year makes him a 1st rounder?

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016
A meaningless game for both sides where he got buried anyway.

Didn't play again last night when the games count.

What in his body of work this year makes him a 1st rounder?

To be fair and get the story right. He did play the first playoff game where Brynas won and he was +1 in that game. Do you think that game counts?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Some players you can see very quickly are special players. I think Boqvist is just that. If he went #2 OA this draft. I would not be unhappy if I were the team picking him. Some of the things he does on the ice are incredible. But for me, he's right there for 2nd best player OA this draft to Dahlin.

Teams drafting 1-6 are going to be big winners this year. Nice draft.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Some players you can see very quickly are special players. I think Boqvist is just that. If he went #2 OA this draft. I would not be unhappy if I were the team picking him. Some of the things he does on the ice are incredible. But for me, he's right there for 2nd best player OA this draft to Dahlin.

Teams drafting 1-6 are going to be big winners this year. Nice draft.

Who's in the top 6? Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Bobqvist, Tkachuk, Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Hughes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad