RD Adam Boqvist - Brynas J20, Superelit (2018, 8th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not the first time a player from the Junior A program is drafted high... They’re usually not any more boom or bust types than the Americans drafted out of high schools.
Depends. For example Mittelstadt had high end international experience. Makar was a late birthday who never played higher than World Jr A Challenge. Also you have to factor in which Jr A league. A BCHL guy is less risk than any other Canadian JR A league. Makar was unique compared to guys like Turris, Jost and Fabbro who were all highly touted guys who chose an alternative route but were always involved in the program of excellence.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Boqvist looks significantly more dynamic then Liljegren does though, but obviously they have some similarities.

I agree. If Boqvist went #2 in this draft. I would not have one problem with this. He's an incredibly dynamic player with great vision and hockey IQ. The size part does not bother me, as I also am very high on Hughes. I hate to use these type of comparisons, but Boqvist is the most exciting defenceman I have seen from Sweden since Ottawa drafted Karlsson. He's going to cause some serious headaches for teams in the NHL defending him. An elite talent.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
This kid is so polorizing . I think Hughes being in his draft year who's a very similar player makes for an interesting debate

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
This kid is so polorizing . I think Hughes being in his draft year who's a very similar player makes for an interesting debate
This debate is even more interesting because Boqvist is nearly a full year younger, so much projection with him

Reactions: DJB

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
I agree. If Boqvist went #2 in this draft. I would not have one problem with this. He's an incredibly dynamic player with great vision and hockey IQ. The size part does not bother me, as I also am very high on Hughes. I hate to use these type of comparisons, but Boqvist is the most exciting defenceman I have seen from Sweden since Ottawa drafted Karlsson. He's going to cause some serious headaches for teams in the NHL defending him. An elite talent.

Where's the production? At least Quinn knows how to play his position.

I've been upfront on what I think about Boqvist this year, not saying another thing until he makes his way through Top 10. Is like to see better 5v5 production.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

I've been upfront on what I think about Boqvist this year, not saying another thing until he makes his way through Top 10. Is like to see better 5v5 production.

Brynäs IF J20
SuperElit25141024186|
Brynäs IF SHL130112-4|
Almtuna IS
loan.png
Allsvenskan702221|
Sweden U18 (all) International-Jr918907
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

You want to know what a guy like Erik Karlsson, the guy Boqvist gets compared to all the time, had in his draft year? Google it.

"At least Quinn knows...". Fine, pick him. With that argument, how could you be wrong....

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

What do you mean? From what I can tell he's got like 9 power play points all year.

I do agree though that there are major question marks on his game. I think he'll be closer to 15 than he is to number 1 at the draft.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
What do you mean? From what I can tell he's got like 9 power play points all year.

I do agree though that there are major question marks on his game. I think he'll be closer to 15 than he is to number 1 at the draft.

In top 10 3 of 4 points have been on PP. Small sample size at this point.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Honest question. What makes Boqvist so much better than Nils Lundkvist?

Boqvist may be flashier and have a little more upside, but Lundkvist seems to be playing better against top level competition.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017

Boqvist may be flashier and have a little more upside, but Lundkvist seems to be playing better against top level competition.

Boqvist had a better week in August?

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

Boqvist is clearly a better skater than Lundkvist, he has better acceleration and higher top speed. His shot is also more developed than Lundkvists.

Lundkvist is more well-rounded, and in my eyes a better passer. He is also clearly better in his own zone and handles physical play in a way Boqvist cannot do (yet) - which is why Lundkvist is doing better against men than Boqvist is.

Reactions: AppsSyl

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Assuming that Boqvist does not make the jump to the NHL next season (2018-19), will he play in North America and suit up for the London Knights (the junior team that drafted him)?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Boqvist is clearly a better skater than Lundkvist, he has better acceleration and higher top speed. His shot is also more developed than Lundkvists.

Lundkvist is more well-rounded, and in my eyes a better passer. He is also clearly better in his own zone and handles physical play in a way Boqvist cannot do (yet) - which is why Lundkvist is doing better against men than Boqvist is.
Thanks for the honest assessment. I have not watched as much as I would like of either of them to make a good assessment myself, hence the reason I was asking.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't think the latter part is true. They were on the same team at the 5 Nations tournament, at times the same defensive pair, and I thought Boqvist was Sweden's best defenseman defensively. Lundkvist wasn't far behind, and he's no slouch defensively, but I think this narrative that Boqvist can't defend is very wrong.

I see the difference as Boqvist is just a lot more dynamic. Better skater, better shot, better passer, better stick handler. I would consider Lundkvist to be closer to Erik Brannstrom than Boqvist. A lesser version of Brannstrom, but potentially still a first round pick.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Boqvists defensive ability is severely underrated. I think the biggest question with him is how a lot of the junior style offensive plays he makes translate to playing against men. He has more high-end skill than Lundqvist for sure and his skating is on another level. I think Lundqvist is making a push to pass the Addison/Sandin level D though as he's a very good player himself

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
I don't think the latter part is true. They were on the same team at the 5 Nations tournament, at times the same defensive pair, and I thought Boqvist was Sweden's best defenseman defensively. Lundkvist wasn't far behind, and he's no slouch defensively, but I think this narrative that Boqvist can't defend is very wrong.

I see the difference as Boqvist is just a lot more dynamic. Better skater, better shot, better passer, better stick handler. I would consider Lundkvist to be closer to Erik Brannstrom than Boqvist. A lesser version of Brannstrom, but potentially still a first round pick.

I did not say Boqvist cannot defend, I just think Lundkvist is better at it than Boqvist is at this stage. For his age Lundkvist is playing really good defense in the SHL, so it's no real knock on Boqvist to say so either.

I did not watch a whole lot of the 5 nations so I cannot comment on how they looked in that tournament. I have seen Boqvist get pushed around in his own zone and have issues along the boards in both J20 and Allsvenskan though, in a way that I have not seen Lundkvist get punished against better and stronger opponents in the SHL. If Boqvist could play defense as well as Lundkvist could then I would be 100% sure that Boqvist would have played in the SHL for most parts of this season, I see no other reason that he cannot take a spot on a quite weak Brynäs roster that is having issues getting their offensive game and powerplay to work.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I did not say Boqvist cannot defend, I just think Lundkvist is better at it than Boqvist is at this stage. For his age Lundkvist is playing really good defense in the SHL, so it's no real knock on Boqvist to say so either.

I did not watch a whole lot of the 5 nations so I cannot comment on how they looked in that tournament. I have seen Boqvist get pushed around in his own zone and have issues along the boards in both J20 and Allsvenskan though, in a way that I have not seen Lundkvist get punished against better and stronger opponents in the SHL. If Boqvist could play defense as well as Lundkvist could then I would be 100% sure that Boqvist would have played in the SHL for most parts of this season, I see no other reason that he cannot take a spot on a quite weak Brynäs roster that is having issues getting their offensive game and powerplay to work.

I think the reason is that its a team that struggled early this season, and might've been worried about relegation, so using a 17 year old kid isn't something many coaches are willing to do when they might be facing relegation. Lulea has shown they are willing to use 17 and 18 year olds. They were playing Lundestrom regular shifts last year, along with playing him this season and also playing Lundkvist this season.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
I think the reason is that its a team that struggled early this season, and might've been worried about relegation, so using a 17 year old kid isn't something many coaches are willing to do when they might be facing relegation. Lulea has shown they are willing to use 17 and 18 year olds. They were playing Lundestrom regular shifts last year, along with playing him this season and also playing Lundkvist this season.

Brynäs has a strong tradition of playing young guys in their SHL-team. Just go through their line-ups the last few years and you will see, even when they have had bad seasons plenty of young players have played more than Boqvist has this year. Luleå is not really famous for playing a lot of their young players, it has been quite the opposite the last few years actually.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brynäs has a strong tradition of playing young guys in their SHL-team. Just go through their line-ups the last few years and you will see, even when they have had bad seasons plenty of young players have played more than Boqvist has this year. Luleå is not really famous for playing a lot of their young players, it has been quite the opposite the last few years actually.

You asked why. I gave a reason. I'm a fan of Lundkvist, but I've not yet seen him in the first round of any lists. I've not seen Boqvist outside the top 10. On some lists, he's #2, so I think to say that Lundkvist is more equipped to play SHL hockey right now is wrong.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
You asked why. I gave a reason. I'm a fan of Lundkvist, but I've not yet seen him in the first round of any lists. I've not seen Boqvist outside the top 10. On some lists, he's #2, so I think to say that Lundkvist is more equipped to play SHL hockey right now is wrong.

He is rising fast. On the HockeyProspect.com list released today, they had Lundkvist ranked #19.
HockeyProspect.com 2018 NHL Draft Rankings Top 70, March 6th, 2018 - HockeyProspect.com | 2018 NHL Draft

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010

I did not ask why, I gave reasons as to why Boqvist does not play in the SHL. If Boqvist was currently better than Lundkvist defensively then Boqvist would be in the SHL, since he is quite clearly better offensively. You do not get a spot on a SHL-roster based on where you will get picked in the draft or what kind of player you are projected to become in +5 years, you get a spot if you are good enough as of right now. Being ranked #1 or #2 or #120 doesn't matter, since the draft ranking is based on potential and not current ability. Your reasoning as to why Boqvist doesn't play in the SHL does not make any sense.

Reactions: Dodospice

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I did not ask why, I gave reasons as to why Boqvist does not play in the SHL. If Boqvist was currently better than Lundkvist defensively then Boqvist would be in the SHL, since he is quite clearly better offensively. You do not get a spot on a SHL-roster based on where you will get picked in the draft or what kind of player you are projected to become in +5 years, you get a spot if you are good enough as of right now. Being ranked #1 or #2 or #120 doesn't matter, since the draft ranking is based on potential and not current ability. Your reasoning as to why Boqvist doesn't play in the SHL does not make any sense.

I think you've made a false assumption. There is no spot guaranteed based on who's better defensively between Boqvist and Lundkvist. I've given a few responses now and you seem to think none are valid. Maybe you are right, but also maybe you are wrong. Unless you are the coach of Brynas, neither of us know. I'm not trying to rag on Lundkvist here either, I have him ranked higher than a lot of people do, and I've said I think he's the best draft eligible on his team, but I also don't think some of the reactions in here to Boqvist are completely fair.

Reactions: Acadien86

Kalleteodor

Nov 5, 2016

Brynas may have a weak roster this year but not on defense. Many experts ranked Brynas defense as best in the league pre-season. Due to long term injury on one of the players they also had to many D-men on contract (9). That’s why Boqvist having a hard time making the roster.

He´s playing this evening though as no 6 in rank probably getting some TOI as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->