Pre-Game Talk: Rd 2 Game 3 - Preds vs Jets - Tue May 1, 7:00pm CT (series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Can we mock their nursery rhyme chant at the phone booth tomorrow? Pretty please!
images

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Disagree completely, I think how poorly he played is being blown out of proportion. He is a much better option that Chiarot and Morrow, especially at home. He can be better but the Jets need his game much more than what the other two provide. They need to ride with Enstrom, he's their best option against a fast team like Nashville.

I don't think its been that blown out of proportion. He seems a step slower to me which is impacting his ability to defend like he can. More favorable matchups at home should help a bit.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Lol, all the talk about how bad Enstrom was and no talk of the Myers clown show.

The high event crowd is out in full force.

It's the playoffs man high events count for a lot. I'm not overly upset with Toby but I certainly think we wouldn't be losing a whole lot with Morrow in. I'd keep him in.

Myers hasn't been great with the puck breaking out either but in our own end he's been really good

Reactions: upperdeckjet

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Out third period was our best period of the series so far. Partly because they sat back and played 6 goalies, Jets style. But we looked gassed and worn out in overtime. I think we are a lot more banged up then the Preds, not even counting who is sitting out for us, I just mean in lineup. Hoping the guys can keep pushing. Wheels is clearly hurt and has been so so, Laine is hurt we know he missed practices and he looks either a nagging injury or just completely out of gas. Lowry has been weak since the start of the Wild series. And seems to be getting worse game by game. Not sure if Connor is hurt or just struggling. We are still hanging in and look good, but we need some guys to step up. Connor, Ehlers, Little are 3 big ones for me. Buff (for most part) Tanev, Helly and Scheif are carrying us so far this series. But that double overtime was a first for us, that Preds team has had to push through
Games like that a lot the past couple years. Learning experience of what it takes for us
Lowry came across a bad case of Little-itis. Its happened before with other players.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
It is always fun to debate the merits of Toby Enstrom. I was trying to hold off, but for me, I am more comfortable with either Morrow or Chiarot over Toby in playoff hockey. Yes, he can forward the puck. Sorry, that's not enough. He has a long stick, yeah....no.

He brings zero offensive threat and he brings negative (not even zero) physical presence. Good dude, but this Jets fan thinks he is yesterdays man.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree that Tanev, Lowry, Copp is a better line. Little Roslo and either Mathias, or Dano. Give Little the Pk minutes. He is already playing 3rd line minutes so he can't be that tired. If they go with Tanev lowry and Copp as the 3rd line he will only have 4th line minutes.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'm not sure why people are slagging on Little. He has 4 points in 7 playoff games in more of a depth role. Hard to complain too much with those results. I think Lowry needs to own his own play.
He needs his optimum linemates, Copp and Tanev, you wouldn't play Lanie with Roslo and Little and ask him to play his best.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
What the Jets need to do to win this Series --they need to roll 4 scoring lines and come at the Preds in waves with all lines being able to score. They need to move out Hendricks out of the lineup, and I would insert Mathias, as he's big and fast. I'd prefer Armia or Perrault, but until their ready, we need a guy that can keep up with game speed.

Also, our young talented guys "have gotta" start scoring !!! It's critical that Laine, Connor, Little and Ehlers start to score. If we didn't have Scheiffle in this series, we'd be in big trouble, as he's done most of the scoring. I think the young guys are adjusting to the loud boisterous crowds -- they need to forget about that, and play like they can.

On defense-- I'd like to see Morrow replace Toby Enstrom, as he's a great smooth skater, and also has a good shot from the point, and is much more physical in those board battles in the corner. He was a former 1st round draft pick, and I've been impressed when he's been in the lineup. We need "all" those extra goals from our D-men that we can get. The Preds score a lot from their Dmen, and we can as well-and we do with Buff and Myers. We need the other guys to start scoring, and I've noticed Morrissey also has a great point shot -- Jet's should use this.

Also the Jet's need to keep their discipline --so far not to bad, and if they do all this, we definitely have a good shot at taking this series.:thumbu:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I always defend Enstrom because he does so many subtle things that don't get credit. But him getting completely undressed by (I forget who) was inexcusable and unusual to see. He has always been so good with his stick defending the rush. The decline is real.

Having said that, he's still better than Morrow that's for sure. Morrow looks good when he's bombing the puck but make sure to avert your eyes when he's relieving pressure in the D zone. Enstrom is a wizard at breaking out the puck.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's the playoffs man high events count for a lot. I'm not overly upset with Toby but I certainly think we wouldn't be losing a whole lot with Morrow in. I'd keep him in.

Myers hasn't been great with the puck breaking out either but in our own end he's been really good
He has?...Like when?

High events always mean a lot, they still only encompass a fraction of the game, that doesn't change.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I don't think its been that blown out of proportion. He seems a step slower to me which is impacting his ability to defend like he can. More favorable matchups at home should help a bit.
I think for the most part without the Johansen play, people are having a different conversation. He was barely a topic of conversation after game 1, didn't play much different really.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think for the most part without the Johansen play, people are having a different conversation. He was barely a topic of conversation after game 1, didn't play much different really.

I didn't like his play much in game one myself and didn't like his overall body of work much last night either but to each there own. Maybe my expectations are too high but he hasn't met them so far.

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
That FAKE Subban crosscheck to Laine while he was down should be reviewed.
To make it worst, he went down like he broke his leg. Then crawled back to the PREDS bench.

Norris Trophy candidate, he does so many mistakes that almost cost him team the game.
Hope He gets labeled in game 3.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I always defend Enstrom because he does so many subtle things that don't get credit. But him getting completely undressed by (I forget who) was inexcusable and unusual to see. He has always been so good with his stick defending the rush. The decline is real.

Having said that, he's still better than Morrow that's for sure. Morrow looks good when he's bombing the puck but make sure to avert your eyes when he's relieving pressure in the D zone. Enstrom is a wizard at breaking out the puck.
The decline is real because he got beat 1v1 against a very good player? Seriously? Enstrom has declined over the years in aspects of his game but this is complete hyperbole. Jomo got completely walked by Arvidsson, I assume that's also inexcusable? Probably not, because Helle made a save.

This just in, the NHL has a lot of really skilled forwards who are really, really good with the puck and are capable of beating defenders 1v1. Not sure how getting beat by a guy of Johansen's calibre qualifies as "inexcusable". I'll also add, it would benefit most people to watch that entire play again, Enstrom was put in a terrible position to defend that by Scheifele, he was completely caught against the flow of play, had to try to re-establish his gap and come halfway across the ice because Buff got caught moving forward by the Scheifele play as well.

Scheifele knew what he did, he wasn't pissed on the bench after the goal because Enstrom got burned.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The decline is real because he got beat 1v1 against a very good player? Seriously? Enstrom has declined over the years in aspects of his game but this is complete hyperbole. Jomo got completely walked by Arvidsson, I assume that's also inexcusable? Probably not, because Helle made a save.

This just in, the NHL has a lot of really skilled forwards who are really, really good with the puck and are capable of beating defenders 1v1. Not sure how getting beat by a guy of Johansen's calibre qualifies as "inexcusable". I'll also add, it would benefit most people to watch that entire play again, Enstrom was put in a terrible position to defend that by Scheifele, he was completely caught against the flow of play, had to try to re-establish his gap and come halfway across the ice because Buff got caught moving forward by the Scheifele play as well.

Scheifele knew what he did, he wasn't pissed on the bench after the goal because Enstrom got burned.
It's interesting I had never really heard the name Johanson that much except for in the last 2 years. Is he a superstar? As I am familar with names like Seguin, and Crosby, Ovie, Malkin but the name Johansen doesn't really ring any bells till now that we are playing Nashville. Is it because Nashville is too small of a market to get as much media attention?

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011

The reason it stands out for Enstrom is because defending with his long stick is one of the two things he is supposed to be able to do really well. In this case, he needs to make that play or what is he bringing to the table. Morrow can get walked the same way or maybe just maybe he can physically impede him.

Jomo got walked, yes, but he brings so much more. This I think we can agree on.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It's interesting I had never really heard the name Johanson that much except for in the last 2 years. Is he a superstar? As I am familar with names like Seguin, and Crosby, Ovie, Malkin but the name Johansen doesn't really ring any bells till now that we are playing Nashville. Is it because Nashville is too small of a market to get as much media attention?

He signed an $8M x 8 contract. He was traded straight up for Seth Jones. He has the same agent that represents a Trouba. Overhardt also had Johansen hold out of training camp as an RFA but Columbus GM caved in the day before the season started. Rumours that he was severely out of shape when Torterella showed up was part of the reason he was shipped out of Columbus.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The reason it stands out for Enstrom is because defending with his long stick is one of the two things he is supposed to be able to do really well. In this case, he needs to make that play or what is he bringing to the table. Morrow can get walked the same way or maybe just maybe he can physically impede him.

Jomo got walked, yes, but he brings so much more. This I think we can agree on.
Absolutely JoMo brings more, no question. Enstrom is one of the best Jets defenders between the blue lines, doesn't mean he's perfect. Anyway, people keep focusing on the same thing, so much more happened on that play but scapegoats are easier. I'm done, on to Game 3.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

That’s enstroms strongest point

I think Toby will settle in. He jumped back in after being out for so long in what’s arguably the most intense playoff series in the nhl right now

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It would be great to get a forward back from injury and go with a bottom 6 of:

Armia/Perrault - Little - Roslo
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Reactions: GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Kuli has started skating, does that mean we could see him for the WCF?
MP back shortly and Armia not too far behind with Kuli on his way back would really help this team.
I have said it before and I will say it again...the team that wins this series plays for the cup this year.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Trick to getting the 40% offer for TheAthletic: Sign up on the mobile device and then login to your account on the PC. Once I clicked to sign up for paid subscription I was offered 40%.

Logging only into the PC only got me 25%

I created an account on mobile but didn't subscribe. I've gotten several emails to my email offering 50% "today only". Finally bit today, $35.99 for the year.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Lowry came across a bad case of Little-itis. Its happened before with other players.

Haha sure blame Little, because he has looked much better then Lowry. Tanev seems fine. Lowry was BAD last night, he is not hitting, looks slow, and made bad decisions one i clearly remember in our own end. No i undertand he is almost certainly hurt, but blaming Little is still cool. Is Little to blame for Laines 2 poor performances again? Or Ehlers 0 goals

Reactions: FFHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->