Rays have explored becoming 2 city team (with Montreal) (upd: rejected by MLB)

Will Tampa move to Montreal within the next 2 years?

• Total voters

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
What would be the reason Tampa would want to do that?

Tampa-Rays-Tropicana-Field-580-2.jpg

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
That seems like a pretty monumental development for the city of Montreal. Might be their way of backdooring back into the league.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
My favorite part of the story is they want new buildings in BOTH cities.

What uniforms do they wear? What’s the team called? Where do the ticket reps work? I’ve got so many questions.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How should we get fans to come to our games? I know! By letting the fanbase know that the (seemingly) critical second half of the season playoff push games are all going to be played elsewhere!

Absurdly blatant one foot out the door gesture.

This is brutal for the fans in TB. All the meaningful games would be played elsewhere. Can't see the players being a fan of this either.

What 'fans'? Their team is great, tickets and beers are cheap and yet no one shows up to the games....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I really doubt this is going to work.

- MLBPA will freak if their players now have to buy/rent homes in two different cities, especially ones that are in different countries.
- They aren't even remotely close.
- Two different ways of living
- Do they switch team names in MTL? Or are the Exporays?
- If I live in TB/ST. Pete why on earth would I buy season tickets if I know all the "good games" will be in another country.

Sep 19, 2008
The problem with TB is that the damn stadium is so far from the city. It sucks to get to.

They won't build a new stadium in TB proper either. Sad.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Why do you feel it’s a bad idea?

It will be very hard to convince players to stay with the franchise, or join the franchise, when they have to basically maintain 2 homes in completely different places during a season. And what about the players who have kids in school? No one wants to go through this year after year.

So basically, the franchise is at a major competitive disadvantage because everything has to be done via the farm system and trading for young players. Granted, the current Rays seemingly change everything around every 12-18 months with their roster and never go into FA anyway.

It may be a success for 2-3 years but I think at some point Montrealers are going to want the team here fulltime and it will be hard to get people fully engaged if there is only 3-4 months of baseball. What happens if the Rays are 10 games under .500 and out of it by the time they play a home game in Montreal? This is a ridiculously fickle town.

Anyway it's all contingent on a new stadium being built and I have serious doubts the money (at least 500 M US) is there for that. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sports1131

Oct 24, 2004
I desperately want the Expos back, but I just don't understand how this is an approach worth considering.
  1. I understand the cost savings of not needing a roof in either location, but especially in the case of Tampa where they are looking for public financing for the stadium, why would the city want to invest a substantial amount of money for a significantly reduced amount of revenue? I would think the cost savings from omitting a roof would be more than erased by lack of parking, ticket, etc. revenue. Additionally, if players don't call a city home for six months out of the year, doesn't that cause them to miss out on a lot of money from income tax on the players?

2. I can't imagine the MLBPA being on board with this as players would essentially not have a real home. Are kids supposed to split the school year in two different countries (and potentially languages) or are families supposed to be separated for half of the season? This team would be avoided like the plague by free agents.

3. How could you possibly brand this team in a way that makes sense? Call them the Tampa Bay Rays for half the season and Montreal Expos for the rest? Montreal ExRays of Tampa Bay?

4. Why would a fan in Tampa want to invest in a team that would have all meaningful games (probably including playoffs?) held in a different city?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Just move them to Montreal
Agreed. At some point, you just have to concede it won't work in the Tampa area if you can't get a new stadium built.

I doubt either fanbase wants to share a team. It would be like sharing a soda with a stranger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad