Rays announce plans to leave St Petersburg for Tampa

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
Building a new stadium did not solve Miami's woes, and it won't solve Tampa's either. Major League Baseball just doesn't work, and is never going to work in Florida.

I took a trip to Miami to catch the Rockies @ Marlins series back in April, and I've never seen a stadium so empty. I swear we get more people going to Edmonton Prospects games.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Building a new stadium did not solve Miami's woes, and it won't solve Tampa's either. Major League Baseball just doesn't work, and is never going to work in Florida.

I took a trip to Miami to catch the Rockies @ Marlins series back in April, and I've never seen a stadium so empty. I swear we get more people going to Edmonton Prospects games.

I'm at a loss to figure out how/why baseball is so unpopular in Florida, more so than in any other MLB state.

Is it just fan discontent with the way the two respective teams are run? Or something else?

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
I'm at a loss to figure out how/why baseball is so unpopular in Florida, more so than in any other MLB state.

Is it just fan discontent with the way the two respective teams are run? Or something else?

MLB botched Miami. Their first couple years they drew well. The fire sale after the 97 championship team killed attendance. Playing in a suburban football stadium was a disaster. When they got the new park they had the misfortune of still having Jeff Loria as owner. Current ownership was forced to trade Stanton, Ozuna, Yelich because the Marlins had no pitching on the big league team or minors thanks to Loria. By the time the Marlins rebuilt their system and developed pitching Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich would be in their decline years.

As far as Tampa they are 30 miles away from the downtown core. Only 1/5th of Tampa's population is withing a half hour drive of the current stadium. The new location would have 1.4 to 1.6 million people within a half hour drive.
Rays move to Ybor City would put team within heart of region’s population, study shows

Reactions: Melrose Munch

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I feel like attendance for all pro Florida sports teams is lousy. The Lightning might have good attendance, but I don't know.

Good luck paying for this.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I feel like attendance for all pro Florida sports teams is lousy. The Lightning might have good attendance, but I don't know.

Good luck paying for this.

I don't follow the NFL a whole lot but I would imagine the Bucs/Jags/Dolphins don't have trouble filling seats, even if their teams can be pretty lousy.

Or the Heat/Magic.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
about damn time

That park was like in the middle of nowhere

It's in downtown St. Petersburg (population: ~244,000), little dude. Not exactly the "like in the middle of nowhere."

I don't follow the NFL a whole lot but I would imagine the Bucs/Jags/Dolphins don't have trouble filling seats, even if their teams can be pretty lousy.

Or the Heat/Magic.

Last year it varied. Miami was somehow 2nd , though I wonder if a London game contributed to that. Jacksonville was middle of the road at 18 and Tampa was near the bottom at 27. I went off of perecentage as that tells the true story.
IMG_3890.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Damn, can you imagine if the Rays could manage 91% capacity?

2018 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Not surprised to see Florida teams at the bottom of the league.

I am surprised, however, to see that more than half the teams can't even boast 75% capacity for their home games. That's brutal.

Another thing I've noticed, there are a bunch of teams with higher attendance numbers on the road than at home. I'm guessing that's just from games played in Boston, or St. Louis, etc.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Moving to Ybor City will help the Rays with at least 10k extra fans per game

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Tampa and Miami were the 2 worst last year. Tampa had only 1.0 mil and Miami had less than 3/4 of a mil! :eek:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
tree falling in the woods...just look at their attendance "peak"

2008 - 97 win team, wins the AL pennant...22,370 per game
2009 - fresh off the prior year's success...23,148 per game (franchise record btw)
2010 - rebound to win 96 and the AL East again...23,105 per game
2011 - win 91 games, finish 2nd...18,879 per game

win or lose, the fan support doesnt exist. Changing location wont change that. If the fan base was there, they would've put up with the hassle to get to the park and see a World Series team.

And lets not act like other stadiums have a picnic of a drive to get in either.

You ever try to get anywhere in Boston at 6pm on a weekday? Driving, you're looking at 1-2 hours from outside the city. Subway is still at least an hour journey. Most fans travel over an hour each way to get to Fenway

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Boston and Chicago have viable public transit system to make it work without parking. Tampa does not.

Also Fenway and Wrigley are close to downtown and people getting off work can easily get to the stadium for night games.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta...bay-rays-look-to-suntrust-park-for-ideas.html

The Tampa Bay Rays are building a new stadium — and club officials toured SunTrust Park to see what the Atlanta Braves did to create the Cobb County ballpark that opened 17 months ago.

I like how in this summary article they don't mention finance once, while if you go to the article they are summarizing, it talks about that Tampa has no funding yet, might have to revisit St. Petersburg, and that it's quite different from the situation in Atlanta (mostly the piece is about why the field in Atlanta has worked as well as it does).

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Ybor City stadium plan dead.

Rays say current Ybor stadium project is dead, remain committed to Tampa Bay area – for now

Agreement with St. Petersburg to look elsewhere in Tampa Bay was set to expire at the end of the year.

Lease reverts back to the iron clad through the 2027 season.
https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-history-the-threat-of-contraction-begins-102916
MLB tried to fold the twins over the metrodome i wonder how long they will tolerate the trop

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Start saying your goodbyes to Tampa Bay baseball now

First city to offer MLB a ready to build stadium plan gets the Rays and it will be long before 2027. The lease buyout is now a manageable number.
From Universal DH To Radical Realignment: Here's How MLB Might Look If It Expands To 32 Teams
It seems like the league is seriously talking about moving the Red Sox and Yankees Away from the rays losing the all the snowbird fans from the northeast in regular match ups would most likely hasten the demise of the team in tampa

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad