Ray Shero the moron

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm going to venture a guess and say that Staal was picked because the Penguins viewed him as the best player available.

But then again, I might be a little crazy.

Can't argue that they considered him the best player available. I'm just saying he was a safe pick. Upside wise Kessel matches up nicely with any player in the last draft including EJ.

Personnally I think that the Penguins scouting staff is middle of the road and wouldn't be surprized if they made a fairly large mistake taking Staal. I've seen him play several times last year and was not wildly impressed (definitely think he deserved to be a top 20 pick).

Am I a professional scout no, but I've been correct about this sort of thing before (also wrong about this sort of thing to :dunce: ). Just my 2 cents.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I wanted Kessel draft day, and I still stand by my beliefs.
Which doesn't mean Staal is a bad pick, I just thought Kessel was fitting a need.
Some say you don't draft for your needs, but when two players are comparable in value, you go with the need.

Of course, other elements could have been taken into account that we are not aware of (Crosby/Kessel feud, Kessel sounding stupid in interviews, or things like that).

On pure talent and who I think will be the better player down the road, I would take Kessel.

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA
Which doesn't mean Staal is a bad pick, I just thought Kessel was fitting a need.
Some say you don't draft for your needs, but when two players are comparable in value, you go with the need.

Of course, other elements could have been taken into account that we are not aware of (Crosby/Kessel feud, Kessel sounding stupid in interviews, or things like that).

On pure talent and who I think will be the better player down the road, I would take Kessel.

I agree, I wanted Kessel too. Why are all the Penguin fans (Huge fan, watch both games), so hyped up about Staal. In the two games, he didn't show me much, granted he didn't look out of place either, but his skill set is not there right now. Everytime he tried to make a stickhandling move, he got the puck stolen. Hopefully, in time he will develop more offensively, but right now I'm not impressed from an offensive perspective. That reach is amazing though, like a teradactil (sp?). :eek:

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA

I agree, I wanted Kessel too. Why are all the Penguin fans (Huge fan, watch both games), so hyped up about Staal. In the two games, he didn't show me much, granted he didn't look out of place either, but his skill set is not there right now. Everytime he tried to make a stickhandling move, he got the puck stolen. Hopefully, in time he will develop more offensively, but right now I'm not impressed from an offensive perspective. That reach is amazing though, like a teradactil (sp?). :eek:

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
backstrom was the way to go -- just for the need to keep a passing Center away from the Caps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad