Speculation: Ray Shero 'inside track' to succeed GM Bryan Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But did he as a coach or did the players underachieve? Murray did nothing to improve the team when they needed it. He finished 4 points lower in the standings. He never even had a losing record as coach.

All those guys coming back from injury was help enough. We went to the 2nd round without a healthy Spezza and Karlsson and I think everyone agreed that we had what we needed.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Murray needs to relinquish control. There has to be a succession plan.

Why? Because you say so? Murray doesn't have to do anything you say. He has been given the green light by the owner to do what and when he wants when it comes to succession. Just because you don't know what or when he's planning on doing something doesn't mean there is no plan. It could just be a case of the guy Murray wants is not yet available. We don't know and we are not going to know. Face it, we are just not important enough to be let in on what the team plans on doing. Deal with it.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Why? Because you say so? Murray doesn't have to do anything you say. He has been given the green light by the owner to do what and when he wants when it comes to succession. Just because you don't know what or when he's planning on doing something doesn't mean there is no plan. It could just be a case of the guy Murray wants is not yet available. We don't know and we are not going to know. Face it, we are just not important enough to be let in on what the team plans on doing. Deal with it.

His cancer can take a turn for the worse at any time. Its all about risk management.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
His cancer can take a turn for the worse at any time. Its all about risk management.
And he can get into a car accident on his way home from work today.

I have no idea, but if I had to bet, I'd say there is a plan in place if something unexpected happens to Murray. Just because we don't know what it is, doesn't mean there isn't one.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
All those guys coming back from injury was help enough. We went to the 2nd round without a healthy Spezza and Karlsson and I think everyone agreed that we had what we needed.

Who thought spezza and karlsson were gonna come back anywhere near top form.? I would say majority did not.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

What is this.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The truth

Lol. Yes. It's a good point. Murray does NOT have to do what we say I'm glad it was said. Because personally I was forgetting that. I was under the pressure that Murray actually HAD to do exactly what we all said. Like he had no choice. He had to do it. Even if people had conflicting ideas. He had to somehow do both. Boy was I wrong.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lol. Yes. It's a good point. Murray does NOT have to do what we say I'm glad it was said. Because personally I was forgetting that. I was under the pressure that Murray actually HAD to do exactly what we all said. Like he had no choice. He had to do it. Even if people had conflicting ideas. He had to somehow do both. Boy was I wrong.
I'm proud of you man.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Takes a big man to admit when he was wrong. Good on you!

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

And when that owner is Eugene "any idiot can spend" Melnyk, forgive me for not having confidence in ownership.

I'm sure at least a rough plan is in place if things take a turn for the worse for BM. I suppose I just really think that, after nearly 8 years of Murray as GM, a fresh voice could really benefit this franchise by being able to more objectively evaluate things.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
And when that owner is Eugene "any idiot can spend" Melnyk, forgive me for not having confidence in ownership.

I'm sure at least a rough plan is in place if things take a turn for the worse for BM. I suppose I just really think that, after nearly 8 years of Murray as GM, a fresh voice could really benefit this franchise by being able to more objectively evaluate things.
That's usually how it goes with Murray.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I honestly do not understand why Murray want's to be GM beyond this season. I'm not questionning his ability to be effective, but doesn't he want to spend some time with his family? Unless he's really anxious to see what's in store for the Sens next season (and I don't see any reason to be). Why not set into an advisor role like he was saying previously for next season? I mean will it really change something if he's GM for one more season since we're not contenders and not close to be either.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I honestly do not understand why Murray want's to be GM beyond this season. I'm not questionning his ability to be effective, but doesn't he want to spend some time with his family?

There are a lot of people in that generation who don't know what to do with themselves if they're not working. Having something to wake up to, the feeling that they're still a valuable & contributing person, has lots of value, especially during illness.

Lots of studies out there about failing health among the recently retired, especially among men - people who retire and then have no routine, there's a high incidence of health issues in the immediate 1-2 years after the retirement.

A lot of guys just need the structure & the feeling of being needed/feeling as though they still have something to give.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There are a lot of people in that generation who don't know what to do with themselves if they're not working. Having something to wake up to, the feeling that they're still a valuable & contributing person, has lots of value, especially during illness.

Lots of studies out there about failing health among the recently retired, especially among men - people who retire and then have no routine, there's a high incidence of health issues in the immediate 1-2 years after the retirement.

A lot of guys just need the structure & the feeling of being needed/feeling as though they still have something to give.

Very true...but I can't help but wonder how the family feels.

If the person I built my life around was going to pass away soon, I'd do everything to hold on tight and never let go. Get in as much quality time as possible and damned well dare death to take him way.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

If I could I'd retire tomorrow. No wait, today!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Very true...but I can't help but wonder how the family feels.

If the person I built my life around was going to pass away soon, I'd do everything to hold on tight and never let go. Get in as much quality time as possible and damned well dare death to take him way.

That perspective, while admirable, is often selfish and contrary to the spouse who has already accepted imminent death. They usually don't want to be smothered at all, preferring people to act normal and allow them to live out their time unremarked. The person who is dying wants to do other things, things that don't constantly remind them that they are dying, like family that is constantly buzzing around struggling to spend every waking moment with them because they are dying.

Often when people are going through this they end up living out their last days for their family rather than themselves. They often feel a tremendous amount of guilt towards family for the hurt they are putting on them by dying. This may seem counter-intuitive, but is true.

If Murray wants to spend much of his remaining time with the team that he has helped build, and the people who are probably close to family by now, and certainly providers of an environment that is not all about him dying, then that is what he should do.

The time before certain death should be spent doing everything that person wants, for them, not for those around them that wish to make a last ditch attempt at more together time. Family needs to understand this and accept it. Love the person for who they are and were, and not try and force feed last ditch memories, selfishly taking remaining time for themselves (and by no means do I mean maliciously in the slightest).

These are all normal grieving actions, by the way, I don't mean to slag either side. I have experienced much death and have a little insight on both sides.

It's a sad time, it's a guilty time, and it can often be a selfish time. Whatever makes Murray the happiest is what I support.

Hockey is 'whatever' to me in comparison.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I honestly do not understand why Murray want's to be GM beyond this season. I'm not questionning his ability to be effective, but doesn't he want to spend some time with his family? Unless he's really anxious to see what's in store for the Sens next season (and I don't see any reason to be). Why not set into an advisor role like he was saying previously for next season? I mean will it really change something if he's GM for one more season since we're not contenders and not close to be either.

My sense is that Murray enjoys being top dog running the team, and if anyone else was appointed GM, then Murray would only be asked for his views but would not be in control. Hockey has been his main focus in life, and sitting st home in a recliner is not something he wants to do. Just as we like to make suggestions regarding trades and draft picks, Murray has real power to do so and will not give it up until forced to do so.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Bryan Murray has been around hockey his entire life, who are we to say that for him being around hockey isn't what makes him the happiest? His kids are all grown I imagine & they have their own lives & raising their own children & his grand children. I imagine he gets to see them quite often anyway. I bet BM is the happiest being around the rink & involved in the hockey operations as long as his health holds out. While I imagine Lee & Dorion do most of the heavy lifting & BM is mostly there for advice it probably still makes him feel good to be a part of it. Good for him & I hope he has many more good days ahead of him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
My sense is that Murray enjoys being top dog running the team, and if anyone else was appointed GM, then Murray would only be asked for his views but would not be in control. Hockey has been his main focus in life, and sitting st home in a recliner is not something he wants to do. Just as we like to make suggestions regarding trades and draft picks, Murray has real power to do so and will not give it up until forced to do so.
Or until he hires a coach who will turn him around and stab him in the back to become GM. :sarcasm:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Bryan Murray has been around hockey his entire life, who are we to say that for him being around hockey isn't what makes him the happiest? His kids are all grown I imagine & they have their own lives & raising their own children & his grand children. I imagine he gets to see them quite often anyway. I bet BM is the happiest being around the rink & involved in the hockey operations as long as his health holds out. While I imagine Lee & Dorion do most of the heavy lifting & BM is mostly there for advice it probably still makes him feel good to be a part of it. Good for him & I hope he has many more good days ahead of him.
I think at the end of the day he deserves to go out as he chooses. I just want a different GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad