Ray Shero HHOF speech for his father

SgtJoseph*

I thought tonight's HHOF ceremony was really well done. Ray Shero did a nice job tonight on behalf of his father Fred Shero who i know would be very proud . Brendon Shannahan was terrific as well, his speech was really outstanding and i could tell by the crowd it was very well received. IT was great seeing many of the old Flyers attending the ceremony !

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Mentioned in other thread, Ray did a fantastic job and spoke very well of the Flyers. Glad in 2 days can go back to hating him :). Was very impressed with him and was great to see all the Flyers there and how so many talked about that team .

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
TORONTO -- After NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman spoke about each of the honorees, Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Ray Shero went to the podium to speak about his late father, Fred, who was a legendary coach of the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers.

Ray Shero began by talking about what his father was like. He quoted Bobby Clarke’s eulogy from when Fred passed away in 1990.

He said his father was always preaching the importance of education. He said when others were threatening to leave for the WHA, Fred threatened to leave for law school. Ray also said Fred claimed to be the only card-carrying member of the New York Public Library on the New York Rangers' roster.

Shero talked about his father’s influence by Russian hockey. He talked about his father’s trip to Russia shortly after winning the first Stanley Cup, because he didn’t want to become complacent. He said Fred enjoyed the trip, but his mother cried through the entire three-week trip.

Ray Shero also told a great story about going fishing on Bernie Parent’s fishing boat with Fred, Bernie and his brother. Fred was sick and below deck, but when he told Parent that he was feeling ill, Bernie asked him if he remembered all those hard drills he had made the players take part in, and then said, “Well, screw you,” and they kept fishing.

Next he thanked everyone in the Flyers organization who was able to come to Toronto for the induction, and asked them to stand so he could recognize them for their part in Fred Shero’s career and for coming to honor his father.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=22598&navid=DL|NHL|home

VIDEO of the ceremony: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=482749&navid=nhl:topheads

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They had Bernie on the NHL Network talking about Shero & he said when he first came back to the Flyers after being brought in from Toronto the Flyers were practicing & Shero called Bernie over to the bench & told him "I know nothing about goaltending, so you're on your own". :laugh:

SgtJoseph*

They had Bernie on the NHL Network talking about Shero & he said when he first came back to the Flyers after being brought in from Toronto the Flyers were practicing & Shero called Bernie over to the bench & told him "I know nothing about goaltending, so you're on your own". :laugh:

That's outstanding ! If my memory serves me right, Bernie gave up like 7 or 8 goals his first game back with the Flyers........He tightened his game up shortly there after ! lol

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That's outstanding ! If my memory serves me right, Bernie gave up like 7 or 8 goals his first game back with the Flyers........He tightened his game up shortly there after ! lol

Good memory. Preseason game, it was 7-0 and he was pulled in the first period. I forget Shero's exact line but he said something along "He was so bad, they scored seven goals on six shots..."

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I thought tonight's HHOF ceremony was really well done. Ray Shero did a nice job tonight on behalf of his father Fred Shero who i know would be very proud . Brendon Shannahan was terrific as well, his speech was really outstanding and i could tell by the crowd it was very well received. IT was great seeing many of the old Flyers attending the ceremony !

Ray's speech brought a few tears to my eyes. Brought back a lot of great memories and the story about Bernie was classic. Dam I wish Bobby Clarke could have played forever.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Ray's speech brought a few tears to my eyes. Brought back a lot of great memories and the story about Bernie was classic. Dam I wish Bobby Clarke could have played forever.

This. THIS. THIS.

Seeing that many of the 74-75 Flyers there to honour Shero is what got me. Fred was right - they have walked and continue to walk together. 40 years later, and there they are.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
The best part of his speech is that he forgot to congratulate Chelios at the beginning. :laugh:

Ray did a great job. His dad would have been proud.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
This. THIS. THIS.

Seeing that many of the 74-75 Flyers there to honour Shero is what got me. Fred was right - they have walked and continue to walk together. 40 years later, and there they are.

Is was great to how Shanny mentioned that he hoped that his Wings team mates would be like the FLyers still after 40 years !

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Great speech given by Ray and all the inductees. Hats off to Snider for flying all the Flyers to Toronto for the induction. Class move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad