Kings Article: Ray Ferraro, Bernie Nicholls & Igor Kravchuk on Pierre Turgeon

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The World Cup is a short term tournament. Lombardi excelled in long term foundation building and establishing an infrastructure.

A bad short term performance for someone who thinks long term is a petty way to discredit him.

There's also the past three years coupled with his failure away from the Kings that aligns with his inability to adapt and his fascination with grit over talent. Opponents skated circles around his US squad, just like they've done against the Kings in the NHL.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Failure to adapt and being stubborn does that. They clung on to the past, just as Lombardi did. And look at how long it's been since any of those teams have had any success.

It may take just as long for the Kings. So what you did was actually help support my point about Lombardi.

So what you're actually saying is you're part of the "Every GM and coach is bad and franchises all succeed in spite of themselves" crowd. Got it.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
So what you're actually saying is you're part of the "Every GM and coach is bad and franchises all succeed in spite of themselves" crowd. Got it.

No, I'm part of the "quit making excuses and stop living in the past" crowd. Ask Devils and Red Wings fans what they think of their GMs and look at the position they're in thanks to them clinging onto the past. Similar results to what we're witnessing with the Kings. It's the exact same thing that Lombardi did away from the Kings with the World Cup team.

But alas, we still have fans like you who continue to have their heads buried in the sand.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No, I'm part of the "quit making excuses and stop living in the past" crowd. Ask Devils and Red Wings fans what they think of their GMs and look at the position they're in thanks to them clinging onto the past. Similar results to what we're witnessing with the Kings. It's the exact same thing that Lombardi did away from the Kings with the World Cup team.

But alas, we still have fans like you who continue to have their heads buried in the sand.

Here's the issue: do you think Lombardi would be incapable of building a successful franchise if given the opportunity again?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's the issue: do you think Lombardi would be incapable of building a successful franchise if given the opportunity again?

I'm not sure if he can if his ultimate vision of hockey is having 20 Mike Ricci's on his roster. I'm guessing that may be a reason why he wasn't invited back to partake in the US Olympic hockey program. His name also wasn't rumored to be in the running for any GM openings that became available this summer.

There was a time and place for certain GMs, like Glen Sather. Look what happened when he left Edmonton and he spent foolishly as a GM in New York. Lamoriello was a mainstay of US hockey and built the Devils up to succeed for many years, but then look at how much of a mess they became, losing out on re-signing their own players, the Kovalchuk saga, his awful UFA signings in the post-cap era that had to be buried (i.e. Mogilny and Malakhov).

It's like Lombardi followed suit with his mentor.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

No, your only metric for 'good' GM is "literally wins every year," apparently. I brought up two legendary GMs and your response is 'yeah but look at them now,' hence why my criticism about your criteria. You want to talk about head buried in the sand, how about try being realistic?

Holland has been GM since 97 and has 3 Cups and made the playoffs every single year of his tenure except this one.

Just gonna copy about Lou: "over the next 28 years, Lamoriello presided over one of the most successful rebuilding projects in North American professional sports history. In his first season as GM, the Devils notched their first winning season in franchise history (dating back to their time as the Kansas City Scouts [1974–76] and Colorado Rockies [1976–82]) and reached the Wales Conference Finals. The Devils made the playoffs in all but five of his 27 seasons as GM, and appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1995 (won), 2000 (won), 2001 (lost), 2003 (won) and 2012 (lost)."

Are these guys bad GMs?

Obviously times change but see my previous posts re: not infallible and shelf life/term. Just like any job, there's a need to adapt. I've never stayed in any one job more than 10 years, and by the end of that one it was time to move on--it gets stagnant, you need to learn/grow and sometimes adapt, yes. GMing is like that in fast forward. I would never presume to mock these guys relentlessly the way you and some others have. Even the best make some bad decisions.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
No, your only metric for 'good' GM is "literally wins every year," apparently. I brought up two legendary GMs and your response is 'yeah but look at them now,' hence why my criticism about your criteria. You want to talk about head buried in the sand, how about try being realistic?

Holland has been GM since 97 and has 3 Cups and made the playoffs every single year of his tenure except this one.

Just gonna copy about Lou: "over the next 28 years, Lamoriello presided over one of the most successful rebuilding projects in North American professional sports history. In his first season as GM, the Devils notched their first winning season in franchise history (dating back to their time as the Kansas City Scouts [1974–76] and Colorado Rockies [1976–82]) and reached the Wales Conference Finals. The Devils made the playoffs in all but five of his 27 seasons as GM, and appeared in the Stanley Cup Finals in 1995 (won), 2000 (won), 2001 (lost), 2003 (won) and 2012 (lost)."

Are these guys bad GMs?

Obviously times change but see my previous posts re: not infallible and shelf life/term. Just like any job, there's a need to adapt. I've never stayed in any one job more than 10 years, and by the end of that one it was time to move on--it gets stagnant, you need to learn/grow and sometimes adapt, yes. GMing is like that in fast forward. I would never presume to mock these guys relentlessly the way you and some others have. Even the best make some bad decisions.

It's only a matter of time before Blake makes a mistake and gets labeled (biggest idiot GM ever in Kings history). It's normal I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad