NFL: Ravens COVID outbreak continues and it leads to Wednesday afternoon football

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
There's no way that game is played thursday night, right?

10 positive cases with probably more on the way...There's no way you could subject the Steelers to that along with the rest of the Ravens players.

I don't give a damn that it's thanksgiving. If you're that desperate, flex a game in there or something. Sure that option sucks too but we all know the NFL isn't just gonna not have a game in that slot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's no way that game is played thursday night, right?

10 positive cases with probably more on the way...There's no way you could subject the Steelers to that along with the rest of the Ravens players.

I don't give a damn that it's thanksgiving. If you're that desperate, flex a game in there or something. Sure that option sucks too but we all know the NFL isn't just gonna not have a game in that slot.
think the NFL showed recently on the MNF game with LV and TB that despite LV missing their OL at practice all week, they went ahead with a prime time game.

Unfortunately, I think the NFL will go ahead with this game as scheduled.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
think the NFL showed recently on the MNF game with LV and TB that despite LV missing their OL at practice all week, they went ahead with a prime time game.

Unfortunately, I think the NFL will go ahead with this game as scheduled.

That was a Sunday Night game that they ended up flexing to a late afternoon game.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The league made SF play with no wr's and Trent Williams on top of their already existing injuries against GB. Will be following what they do here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That was a Sunday Night game that they ended up flexing to a late afternoon game.
You are right. Wrong game. It was the TNF game between GB and SF like 2 weeks ago where SF were without their WR due to Covid.

NFL wasn't going to shift a primetime game.

And it's way too late to shift another game from sunday up to thursday.

It sucks, but primetime games are not going to get moved in the NFL from here on out.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
This is probably an extremely hot Skip Bayless-type take here, but I feel God-dell is getting dangerously close to Rob Manfred territory in how he has been handling the COVID situation the past couple weeks. Now that the byes are all but done, he is refusing to move games no matter how bad the outbreak may be. This game should NOT be played Thurs night period. People's lives & health is more important than not losing a prime time game.

Week 18, please. As bad as the situation is getting there should be enough games to move between now & week 17 to have a decent enough slate of week 18 games.

Reactions: DaveG

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
This is probably an extremely hot Skip Bayless-type take here, but I feel God-dell is getting dangerously close to Rob Manfred territory in how he has been handling the COVID situation the past couple weeks. Now that the byes are all but done, he is refusing to move games no matter how bad the outbreak may be. This game should NOT be played Thurs night period. People's lives & health is more important than not losing a prime time game.

Week 18, please. As bad as the situation is getting there should be enough games to move between now & week 17 to have a decent enough slate of week 18 games.
But why? This is the second time the Ravens have had a Covid outbreak and this time it is more people. San Fran played. Titans played. Ravens can play.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cam got NE a week off , who else didn't play.. This gives Pitt a Huge advantage, probably locks them in a bye week.
They gave teams a break at the beginning of the year but I would bet that the networks called the nfl and said we paid for those rights and expect the game to be played even if multiple starters are out for one team.

the reality about Covid is that if one player in a position group has it then based that group spending the most time together there is a good chance that close contact May mean that others get it too.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
The virus is spreading like wildfire now. The NFL needs to be taking this way more seriously than it did in Sept/early Oct when the virus as at somewhat of a plateau. The networks need to just deal with it & adjust accordingly. Having games played on a possible week 18 & then skipping the bye week before the Super Bowl should not hurt their bottom line that much.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I believe they were already sending Tirico to call 1 of their 2 games this week so they can do this from a purely broadcast crew perspective. Production crew though? That I do not know.

The best scenario would be BAL @ PIT becomes the Sunday night game and the trash Bears offence gets relegated to the afternoon where it should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanthersPens62

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tirico was calling this one.

big problem here is that the Ravens are scheduled for next Thursday too

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It was the right thing to do. You couldn't expect the Ravens to expose themselves to further infection and then put the Steelers at risk too. Surprised the league did it imo.

...Niner fans are going to justifiably ask "where was our postponement?" considering they got hit super hard with COVID and still had to play that risk. Further cementing the league as a shitshow.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
49ers only had 1 positive test. Ravens have 10 and they’re still tracing.
They then told their only healthy wr's and their best olineman to sit out.

It's a bunch of shit. They can't pretend they care about safety now when they clearly didn't when SF was involved.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They then told their only healthy wr's and their best olineman to sit out.

It's a bunch of shit. They can't pretend they care about safety now when they clearly didn't when SF was involved.

I mean they can, they’re the NFL, and we know they went into the season expecting this to disappear or whatever excuse Darren Rovell has for still thinking he was right.

But they were only on the covid list as close contacts. That’s different than actually testing positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Price

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The virus is spreading like wildfire now. The NFL needs to be taking this way more seriously than it did in Sept/early Oct when the virus as at somewhat of a plateau. The networks need to just deal with it & adjust accordingly. Having games played on a possible week 18 & then skipping the bye week before the Super Bowl should not hurt their bottom line that much.
I think the league this past week or so just had every team go to tighter restrictions. I guess we'll see whether those are enough.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad