Post-Game Talk: Ravens at PATRIOTS - Pats have a faint pulse after beating Ravens

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Thought the really telling piece of last night's game was the physicality the Pats came out and played with. They were hitting guys often and really driving through their tackles. Set the tone early and their intensity was not matched at all by the Ravens. They came out flat and never got into a groove. Full credit to the Pats players and coaches for a great game plan and superb execution.
Cam set the tone early lowering the boom on their 3rd or 4th play

Reactions: LSCII

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
They can make the playoffs playing this way. Eapecially this season with an extra playoff spot, possibly even two, in each conference. Winning a SB or even competing for one, they can't.

Ya I don't agree. Not with the logjam of teams ahead of them. If they make the playoffs by throwing to one receiver the rest of the way I will build a statue of Bill in my front yard. We shall see.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Ya I don't agree. Not with the logjam of teams ahead of them. If they make the playoffs by throwing to one receiver the rest of the way I will build a statue of Bill in my front yard. We shall see.
A lot of those teams still have to play each other and the Patriots have winnable head to heads against some of those teams. They also just beat the best team on the remainder of their.schedule and one of the better teams in the leagur by throwing to.one receiver.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
A lot of those teams still have to play each other and the Patriots have winnable head to heads against some of those teams. They also just beat the best team on the remainder of their.schedule and one of the better teams in the leagur by throwing to.one receiver.

So they're 2 games behind in the playoff race and in 10th place in the AFC. I think they basically have to go 10-6 to have any kind of chance at making the playoffs, and even that would be no guarantee. I don't see it happening. This team isn't consistent enough to go 6-1 down the stretch. It's not impossible, but incredibly unlikely.

Football Outsiders expects them to go 7-9 and gives them just a 10% chance at making the playoffs, which I think is probably the right outlook.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
So they're 2 games behind in the playoff race and in 10th place in the AFC. I think they basically have to go 10-6 to have any kind of chance at making the playoffs, and even that would be no guarantee. I don't see it happening. This team isn't consistent enough to go 6-1 down the stretch. It's not impossible, but incredibly unlikely.

Football Outsiders expects them to go 7-9 and gives them just a 10% chance at making the playoffs, which I think is probably the right outlook.
There odds are over 50% to make the playoffs if they go 9-6. Its weird year with the extra playoff spots. I wouldn't count them out by any stretch to make the playoffs. There schedule has very winable games the rest of year. I think they can go 5-2 over that stretch. The Cardinals is probably there toughest matchup, but its at Gillette.

Split with the Cardinals and Rams and then win your AFCE games

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Felger wanted sports takes about why to tank so I called yesterday and said if the Pats lost the last 2 games they'd be tied for the 3rd worst record in football and the Jets would have the tie breaker so they'd be in the driver's seat for at least Fields instead of the picking 15 if the season ended today. That triggered them on rant that fans that want a tank aren't real fans.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Felger wanted sports takes about why to tank so I called yesterday and said if the Pats lost the last 2 games they'd be tied for the 3rd worst record in football and the Jets would have the tie breaker so they'd be in the driver's seat for at least Fields instead of the picking 15 if the season ended today. That triggered them on rant that fans that want a tank aren't real fans.
You dont need to tank to rebuild or find your next QB. Plenty of teams have rebuilt without tanking. Also how many times has tanking really worked? Its such a crap shoot and requires so many things to fall your way. Its not worth putting that stink on your organization of tanking.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You dont need to tank to rebuild or find your next QB. Plenty of teams have rebuilt without tanking. Also how many times has tanking really worked? Its such a crap shoot and requires so many things to fall your way. Its not worth putting that stink on your organization of tanking.

You have a much better chance to find that franchise with a top pick though, sometimes top 5 or top 10. Its clear the glaring need for New England is a QB

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Chiefs went 12-4 the year before trading up for Mahomes
Ravens went 9-7 the year before getting Lamar
Packers went 12-4 before drafting Rodgers
Bills went 9-7 before drafting Allen

Seahawks and Steelers went 7-9, 6-10 before getting their guys.

I’m a believer in having pieces in place prior to getting your Qb. Ignoring everything else to get a QB in the top 3 is how you end up like the Bengals and Browns, who are finally turning the corner.

Reactions: CDJ and DangleCity

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Chiefs went 12-4 the year before trading up for Mahomes
Ravens went 9-7 the year before getting Lamar
Packers went 12-4 before drafting Rodgers
Bills went 9-7 before drafting Allen

Seahawks and Steelers went 7-9, 6-10 before getting their guys.

I’m a believer in having pieces in place prior to getting your Qb. Ignoring everything else to get a QB in the top 3 is how you end up like the Bengals and Browns, who are finally turning the corner.

What does and 8-8 season get you if you're Bill? You still won't get that top QB ofnthis years class drafting high teens and well rinse wash and repeat for next year while the jets bring in Lawrence and I believe Miami has the Houston pick

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
What does and 8-8 season get you if you're Bill? You still won't get that top QB ofnthis years class drafting high teens and well rinse wash and repeat for next year while the jets bring in Lawrence and I believe Miami has the Houston pick
You can move up and target your QB. Cheifs.had the 27th pick and moved up to 10 to take Mahomes.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
This is video game thinking. It’s not super bowl or #1 pick with nothing in between. None of those guys were the first QB off the board

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

I wanted them to tank because I wanted them to blow it up after Brady left and start this thing anew with a new core. Especially after all the opt outs. This team is very light on talent in all areas and anything better than 9-7 this season would shock me.

Where I disagree, though, is that they need Lawrence or Fields. Now that it has become apparent they are going to try and win games, I still think they're in a decent spot to get a good QB prospect in the 1st round. This year is especially deep on QB and there's no guarantee any one is better than the other at the NFL level. And if we are being honest, they were never going to be bad enough to get Lawrence. They could have gone 2-14 and likely still not had a shot at Lawrence.

Reactions: CDJ and KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I wanted them to tank because I wanted them to blow it up after Brady left and start this thing anew with a new core. Especially after all the opt outs. This team is very light on talent in all areas and anything better than 9-7 this season would shock me.

Where I disagree, though, is that they need Lawrence or Fields. Now that it has become apparent they are going to try and win games, I still think they're in a decent spot to get a good QB prospect in the 1st round. This year is especially deep on QB and there's no guarantee any one is better than the other at the NFL level. And if we are being honest, they were never going to be bad enough to get Lawrence. They could have gone 2-14 and likely still not had a shot at Lawrence.

at that point there might be a better player available you don't want to pass on instead of getting the 3rd or maybe 4th QB ranked in the draft. I could see Bill going QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Also, whats the obsession with Fields? When the hell was the last time an Ohio St QB did squat in the NFL?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Also, whats the obsession with Fields? When the hell was the last time an Ohio St QB did squat in the NFL?

there is no obsession but he's projected to go high in the draft. All the teams in the AFC east have a QB plan if the Jets get Lawrence. Pats need QB too, Newton isn't realistic if they want to compete

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
there is no obsession but he's projected to go high in the draft. All the teams in the AFC east have a QB plan if the Jets get Lawrence. Pats need QB too, Newton isn't realistic if they want to compete
We all know they need to draft a QB, that's a given. They just need to go about it the right way. Tanking, then just drafting the highest rated available QB is a bad idea

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We all know they need to draft a QB, that's a given. They just need to go about it the right way. Tanking, then just drafting the highest rated available QB is a bad idea

I don't see it as a bad idea as a meaningless 8-8 season is as much as an accomplishment as a 2-14 season. Irrelevant, however the 2-14 gets you a good chance at a franchise changing player.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don't see it as a bad idea as a meaningless 8-8 season is as much as an accomplishment as a 2-14 season. Irrelevant, however the 2-14 gets you a good chance at a franchise changing player.
8-8 is not meaningless, especially since they started off 2-5 and had to build up to 8-8. Their young players are getting good experience. Im also not really sure how you thought they were going about tanking. The roster is already gutted, with opt outs and young players. Edelman is hurt, they took the last available QB on the market. BB is too good of a coach. Tanking was never on the table because he could coach his way to .500 with most rosters in the NFL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad