Post-Game Talk: Ravens at PATRIOTS - Pats have a faint pulse after beating Ravens

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
A lot of those teams still have to play each other and the Patriots have winnable head to heads against some of those teams. They also just beat the best team on the remainder of their.schedule and one of the better teams in the leagur by throwing to.one receiver.

Like I already said, the Baltimore game is most likely a one off. If Cam Newton throws 17 times a game the rest of the way and only has one reliable WR I just don't think it's sustainable.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Like I already said, the Baltimore game is most likely a one off. If Cam Newton throws 17 times a game the rest of the way and only has one reliable WR I just don't think it's sustainable.
Baltimore couldnt stop the run till late in the game, so there was no need to throw. Cam really only has to protect the ball and make the easy throws.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Starting QBs in a Super Bowl since 2000, with draft position:

QB Draft Position QBs Taken Earlier
Patrick Mahomes101
Jimmy Garoppolo62 4
Tom Brady199 6
Jared Goff1
Nick Foles88 6
Matt Ryan3
Peyton Manning1
Cam Newton1
Russell Wilson75 5
Joe Flacco18 1
Colin Kaepernick36 5
Eli Manning1
Aaron Rodgers24 1
Ben Roethlisberger11 2
Drew Brees32 1
Kurt WarnerN/A 9
Rex Grossman22 3
Matt Hasselbeck187 7
Donovan McNabb2 1
Jake DelhommeN/A 11
Brad Johnson227 14
Rich Gannon98 6
Trent Dilfer6 1
Kerry Collins5 1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

7 First Round Picks in the last 20 years have won a Super Bowl. (Brees was 32, but that was a 2nd round pick then).

I don't think there's a massive difference in your chances if you're picking in the Top 10 versus the Top 32. There are plenty of Blake Bortles in the Top 10 too...so no guarantees. #1 COULD be a game changer, but realistically they weren't going to get there. They can find a guy later in the first round.

Reactions: DangleCity

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
If only we could play the Jets every week. You're impossible.
Thats the whole point, there schedule isnt difficult the remainder of the way. Their playing the team with the 32nd ranked qb rating against on defense this week

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Thats the whole point, there schedule isnt difficult the remainder of the way. Their playing the team with the 32nd ranked qb rating against on defense this week

One game. Their next 5 opponents after that are all better than teams they've already lost to.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
4673EDF6-9766-49F7-9F6C-834794915861.jpeg

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That goes back to me needing to see some consistency the next few games before I believe in this team. They get full credit for beating Baltimore but they played like trash against the Jets. They don't get credit for beating the Jets on a last second FG. They have some challenging opponents remaining on the schedule. Hell, they are only 2 pt favorites against a 2-7 team. They could easily lose to the Texans let alone go on a run. Their margin for error is so small it makes the prospects of a playoff run very unlikely. The statistics back that up. Their playoff chances are minimal.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
One game. Their next 5 opponents after that are all better than teams they've already lost to.
All there games remaining are more than winable. Even if they lose their two tougher games against Arizona and the Rams that puts them at 9-6. If they split the Cardinals and Rams game and then split the Miami.and.Buffallo games, that also puts them at 9-6 which gives them over 50% chance to make the playoffs. Ill take that given they started 2-5 and had to deal with covid

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
All there games remaining are more than winable. Even if they lose their two tougher games against Arizona and the Rams that puts them at 9-6. If they split the Cardinals and Rams game and then split the Miami.and.Buffallo games, that also puts them at 9-6 which gives them over 50% chance to make the playoffs. Ill take that given they started 2-5 and had to deal with covid

You said that the remainder of their schedule "wasn't difficult". Those are your words.

Are all games winnable? Yes. I never said otherwise. I'm just rebutting your claim that arizona, LA, buffalo and miami are creampuffs like the Jets and texans in theory are.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
You said that the remainder of their schedule "wasn't difficult". Those are your words.

Are all games winnable? Yes. I never said otherwise. I'm just rebutting your claim that arizona, LA, buffalo and miami are creampuffs like the Jets and texans in theory are.
Its not difficult, comparatively to the beginning of their schedule. Obviously none of their game this season you can pencil in as wins going forward, but their are none you can pencil in as loses either. The only game we saw as a penciled in loss in the 2nd half was Baltimore.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Fumble aside, Cam has looked good since the 2nd half against Buffalo. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he’s the starter next year with a rookie behind him

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Where are you getting data that shows them with over a 50% chance to make the playoffs if they get 9 wins?

They're currently in 10th place in the AFC currently. They need to, at a minimum, have a record that matches the 7th place team. They basically need three of the 6-3 teams (Las Vegas, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Miami, Tennessee, and Cleveland) to go 3-4 or worse, plus they'd need the tie breaker against the teams that also end up with 9 wins. There's no way in hell the odds of that happening PLUS the Patriots going 5-2 down the stretch is above 50%.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Where are you getting data that shows them with over a 50% chance to make the playoffs if they get 9 wins?

They're currently in 10th place in the AFC currently. They need to, at a minimum, have a record that matches the 7th place team. They basically need three of the 6-3 teams (Las Vegas, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Miami, Tennessee, and Cleveland) to go 3-4 or worse, plus they'd need the tie breaker against the teams that also end up with 9 wins. There's no way in hell the odds of that happening PLUS the Patriots going 5-2 down the stretch is above 50%.
How the New England Patriots Can Make the Playoffs: Through Week 10

If they go 9-6 and win their AFCE games, there is over 50% chance they make the playoffs. If they drop the Bills game but beat the Dolphins and go 9-6 theres a little under 50%.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
This might be a hot take but we beat the dolphins and I think they got immediately worse with their QB switch. It’s better for them in the long run but I think Fitzpatrick was actually playing pretty good football for them

The pats should have beat the bills but they handed that one away

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This might be a hot take but we beat the dolphins and I think they got immediately worse with their QB switch. It’s better for them in the long run but I think Fitzpatrick was actually playing pretty good football for them

The pats should have beat the bills but they handed that one away
They need to beat the dolphins again if they want any hope to make the playoffs. Ideally though they need to sweep their AFCE games remaining.

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just still don't know what to make of them. They're probably a lot better than we've been giving them credit for but we also don't want to get our hopes up after beating Baltimore in a monsoon.

Honestly, without Covid, they beat Denver and don't make such asses of themselves against SF (I don't think they beat them, but they don't get blown out). No question. They were also one play away from winning in Seattle and Buffalo, and were in the KC game until the 4th despite Brian Hoyer. On the other hand, they were a play away from losing to the Jets.

The real Patriots are probably somewhere in the middle. I think if they all stay healthy in the right areas and execute well they can make noise and get into the playoffs. But I wouldn't throw money on them to make a AFCCG run or anything either. That said, there are no invincible teams in the AFC this year and nobody is running away with it. How is Pittsburgh undefeated? I respect their defense greatly, but really? They're not a typical 9-0 team. Everyone is vulnerable this year, and if there's an expanded playoffs it's going to be fun to watch some upsets.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I just still don't know what to make of them. They're probably a lot better than we've been giving them credit for but we also don't want to get our hopes up after beating Baltimore in a monsoon.

Honestly, without Covid, they beat Denver and don't make such asses of themselves against SF (I don't think they beat them, but they don't get blown out). No question. They were also one play away from winning in Seattle and Buffalo, and were in the KC game until the 4th despite Brian Hoyer. On the other hand, they were a play away from losing to the Jets.

The real Patriots are probably somewhere in the middle. I think if they all stay healthy in the right areas and execute well they can make noise and get into the playoffs. But I wouldn't throw money on them to make a AFCCG run or anything either. That said, there are no invincible teams in the AFC this year and nobody is running away with it. How is Pittsburgh undefeated? I respect their defense greatly, but really? They're not a typical 9-0 team. Everyone is vulnerable this year, and if there's an expanded playoffs it's going to be fun to watch some upsets.
I dont think anyone is saying AFCCG, but just making the playoffs with everyrhing they've been through would be a great achievement.

Play good defense, run the ball effectively, and have Cam just keep the defense honest and make the throws he needs to they will be in every game the rest of the season.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA

To be fair, one of Indy or Tenn is gonna win the division. So we don't need to worry about one of those teams.

Frankly, Baltimore takes the first Wild Card unless a disaster happens... So that leaves MIA, LV, CLE, IND/TEN for 2 spots.

Leaving 3 teams for one spot, plus the Pats.

Certainly not a gimme, but if they go 9-7 and don't lose to Miami they're in decent shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad