Rating the offseason as it stands

How would you rate the Sabres offseason if this is it

• Total voters

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Poor goaltending isn't as easy a fix as many like to make it out to be.

Look at how long the Flyers have been searching for solid goaltending, for example.

St Louis became a great team because of the coach AND the goalie. Without either one, they don't get where they got to.

And that is the major issue with this particular off season with the Sabres. They had a lot of holes to fill. And they didn't fill the hole at 2C (unless Mitts is up to the task this season) and they didn't improve their goaltending (unless Hutton & Ullmark are way better than last year).

This team didn't have enough talent top to bottom such that so many people pointed at the coaching as the only reason they weren't better.

Lots of people looked at the Blues and said their coach and their goaltending were the reasons that they were in trouble. And their GM made the right moves to address those two issues in-season.

I'm not going to discount the importance of goaltending, but I'm looking for a vast improvement from the team so we don't need to count on goaltending. For long term purposes it's much more important that we get the coaching staff right ASAP. This is an important season to make sure we have that system/coaching staff right. It sets a good standard for when we have a lot of new faces coming to the team next year, to help fit in.

If we're looking at this upcoming season, and JUST looking at this season, then yes, getting improvement in our goaltending is a must. I believe we hired a new goaltending coach (IIRC) so that should help.

We have guys developing and growing, but they are not developing or growing into roles that bring out the most of the players. For me, goaltending, AT THE MOMENT, is the least of my worries. There are a lot of things we need to get in place before I'm worrying about the goaltending at this point. Quite frankly, I'd rather not have good to great goaltending hiding a broken and terrible system, because that goaltending, unless you have a Carey Price level goalie, is unsustainable. If it crumbles and you have a terrible system/coaching staff in place (See Housley and the 10 game winning streak), you are left with garbage.

I don't think 2C was that big of an importance since they feel Reinhart is capable of creating offense from the wing. I think they are banking on Reinhart continuing that, and Mittelstadt continuing his development at the center position. Another reason why we need the right coaching staff/system in place.

Bisons6

Mar 31, 2019
I debated between average and below average and went with the latter because he has done little to to earn any benefit of the doubt. I would have liked to see an immediate goalie upgrade rather than waiting two more years for our prospects. Last years goaltending was awful. Coming on the heals of watching a broken Lehner for years, that was a lot to stomach. Skaters efforts are much greater when they have confidence in their goalies. Regularly seeing opponents counter hard work with an easy goal is deflating, and appalling to watch in the NHL season after season. Last years 10 win streak followed by 47 games of Houseleague (think, Housley) peewee hockey, was directly related to the ineptitude in goal, and its long-term effects. Linus is so much better than that; he better show it quickly. I thought the Ralph Krueger hire was almost as pathetic as the Phil Houseleague hire. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not. Two more wasted years...

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
I debated between average and below average and went with the latter because he has done little to to earn any benefit of the doubt. I would have liked to see an immediate goalie upgrade rather than waiting two more years for our prospects. Last years goaltending was awful. Coming on the heals of watching a broken Lehner for years, that was a lot to stomach. Skaters efforts are much greater when they have confidence in their goalies. Regularly seeing opponents counter hard work with an easy goal is deflating, and appalling to watch in the NHL season after season. Last years 10 win streak followed by 47 games of Houseleague (think, Housley) peewee hockey, was directly related to the ineptitude in goal, and its long-term effects. Linus is so much better than that; he better show it quickly. I thought the Ralph Krueger hire was almost as pathetic as the Phil Houseleague hire. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not. Two more wasted years...

If Ullmark is so much better as you say he should be, then a goalie upgrade isn't required?

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Ullmark's deficiencies were a direct result of a few things... Lack of ability is not one of them - the amount of odd-man rushes & high danger chances both of these guys had to deal with last season was disgusting - Housley never implemented a workable defensive system for the guys he had, just kept trying the square peg in the round hole until he ran out of rope - he was spoiled in NSH as his top-4 literally didnt need coaching, and knew what to do... That didn't translate in BUF with a less experienced & less talented d-corps. While Linus is 26yo and should be peaking now, he has also still only played in 63 NHL games and lacks the experience most starters his age have in hand (Gibson for example has 236gms played at 26yo).

Ullmark is a capable NHL starter, with all the tools to be very, very good - he's big, fast & athletic. Kreuger's system and improved play by a truly retooled defense group should help both 'tenders numbers a lot - UPL nipping at their heels should certainly motivate as well. Ullmark deserves a shot - 2019/20 is that shot.
**Fun fact - Dubnyk was 26yo when EDM ran him out of town after a 1yr drop from .920SV% to .894SV% only to have him bounce right back and turn into one of the Premier goalies in the league... Bet they wish they could have that one back!!!

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Meh, feels a lot like putting $5 worth of gas in the tank when the fuel light is on. Admittedly, the last few years have ruined any optimism I have for the team.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Tough crowd in here. Remember people saying he wouldn't even fire Phil?
I was thinking about this.

Seemed like during the season there was a lot more talk about how big a detriment Phil was. Now, after he was fired there's less talk about how we're going to get better by default since phil isn't here. People have certainly said it, but not as much as pre-fire. Although some of that has to do with the uncertainty of Krueger

Reactions: SabresSharks

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Meh, feels a lot like putting $5 worth of gas in the tank when the fuel light is on. Admittedly, the last few years have ruined any optimism I have for the team.

Which is a strange way to think of things as THIS team has nothing to do with the team that played even 2yrs ago - completely different managment & coaching staff, 70% roster turnover.. The only thing that's the same is the shirts & the guy signing the cheques - neither of which should affect the on-ice success.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Which is a strange way to think of things as THIS team has nothing to do with the team that played even 2yrs ago - completely different managment & coaching staff, 70% roster turnover.. The only thing that's the same is the shirts & the guy signing the cheques - neither of which should affect the on-ice success.
To be fair, thats what a lot of people said about last season, aside from the coaching change.

Also as a counter-argument to what I wrote above I think it's interesting to look at the isles who are a team that seem to be the poster child for the impact of coaching change. There's not much indication the players that played each consecutive season got that much better with Trotz

upload_2019-8-30_10-12-55.png

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
To be fair, thats what a lot of people said about last season, aside from the coaching change.

Also as a counter-argument to what I wrote above I think it's interesting to look at the isles who are a team that seem to be the poster child for the impact of coaching change. There's not much indication the players that played each consecutive season got that much better with Trotz

View attachment 252131

Or the transformation of the Bolts when Cooper came in, the Pens when Sullivan got there, or the 47pt improvement in Denver when Bednar took over... There are tons of recent examples of what competent coaching can achieve - especially a coach who understands how to utilize a fluid system... Which Phil the thrill did not.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo

14% from last year. Miller, Mojo, Vesey. Joker could be in the mix, but I expect he starts in ROC. Maybe some other kids move up, but it remains to be seen how that plays out.

Krueger is an unknown.

GMJB has had the team since May 2017, 2 full seasons and now 3 offseasons.

We still don't have a 2C.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out how this year will be much different from last unless you believe Krueger solves a lot of problems, which I don't until he shows me otherwise.

Reactions: Baccus

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I was thinking about this.

Seemed like during the season there was a lot more talk about how big a detriment Phil was. Now, after he was fired there's less talk about how we're going to get better by default since phil isn't here. People have certainly said it, but not as much as pre-fire. Although some of that has to do with the uncertainty of Krueger

I think that type of talk was used up in the Krueger hiring thread. :laugh:

People thought we couldn't get worse than Bylsma, a coach that didn't even want to interact with the players, and now we're in a situation where the management team and ownership that hired the next coach that turned out to be worst than that coach(again, the one that didn't want to interact with the players), has hired ANOTHER coach, at a point where people believe can't be worse than Housley. I think people being cautious about jumping onto the bandwagon so quickly, are doing so wisely.

For me, I don't believe that Krueger was Buffalo's #1 choice. If he was, that scares me to begin with. A guy out of hockey for years, is the preferred choice over guys like Q, McLellan, Vigeneault. At the same time, if he's not the #1 choice, where would he be ranked then? There is a lot of uncertainty with Krueger. I think people are right to be wary about this management/ownership's decision.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think that type of talk was used up in the Krueger hiring thread. :laugh:

People thought we couldn't get worse than Bylsma, a coach that didn't even want to interact with the players, and now we're in a situation where the management team and ownership that hired the next coach that turned out to be worst than that coach(again, the one that didn't want to interact with the players), has hired ANOTHER coach, at a point where people believe can't be worse than Housley. I think people being cautious about jumping onto the bandwagon so quickly, are doing so wisely.

For me, I don't believe that Krueger was Buffalo's #1 choice. If he was, that scares me to begin with. A guy out of hockey for years, is the preferred choice over guys like Q, McLellan, Vigeneault. At the same time, if he's not the #1 choice, where would he be ranked then? There is a lot of uncertainty with Krueger. I think people are right to be wary about this management/ownership's decision.
I would be more scared if a guy like Vigneault was their #1 choice...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Maybe the combination Reinhart+Mittlestadt is good enough? :skeptic:
Spoiler alert: it's not. Rodrigues+Reinhart is though.

We really need to stop putting unrealistic expectations on Mitts. Just let the boy play and find his way without all this pressure.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I would be more scared if a guy like Vigneault was their #1 choice...

In the context of getting someone here to stabilize and implement some sort of defensive aspect of hockey to build upon and win hockey games, I’d be okay with it. I don’t think he’s a long term solution and I wouldn’t be hiring him necessarily to be that. But to correct the ship of this team and locker room, I think he would’ve been a fine fit. He wouldn’t be my #1 choice but he would be in that #3-#5 choices. Krueger wasn’t even an option for me. Much like the Housley hire, I feel he’s not the hire for what this team needs.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Was Mitts a top 10 pick or not? If anything he is starting to get underrated. The way Mitts is talked about you would think a player can't vastly improve from D+2 to his D+3 season. Mitts is going to be 21 and in his 2nd full season. He will have far better talent around him. Mitts will put up 40-45 points this year. Maybe more if he gets to center one of Skinner or Reinhart.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Ullmark's deficiencies were a direct result of a few things... Lack of ability is not one of them - the amount of odd-man rushes & high danger chances both of these guys had to deal with last season was disgusting - Housley never implemented a workable defensive system for the guys he had, just kept trying the square peg in the round hole until he ran out of rope - he was spoiled in NSH as his top-4 literally didnt need coaching, and knew what to do... That didn't translate in BUF with a less experienced & less talented d-corps. While Linus is 26yo and should be peaking now, he has also still only played in 63 NHL games and lacks the experience most starters his age have in hand (Gibson for example has 236gms played at 26yo).

Ullmark is a capable NHL starter, with all the tools to be very, very good - he's big, fast & athletic. Kreuger's system and improved play by a truly retooled defense group should help both 'tenders numbers a lot - UPL nipping at their heels should certainly motivate as well. Ullmark deserves a shot - 2019/20 is that shot.
**Fun fact - Dubnyk was 26yo when EDM ran him out of town after a 1yr drop from .920SV% to .894SV% only to have him bounce right back and turn into one of the Premier goalies in the league... Bet they wish they could have that one back!!!
Or maybe it is lack of ability. There is a decent chance Ullmark isn't good enough to be a starter in the NHL. There is definitley a chance he is good enough, but it is way too early to be saying Ullmark is going to be stellar once he has a capable team in front of him.

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Or maybe it is lack of ability. There is a decent chance Ullmark isn't good enough to be a starter in the NHL. There is definitley a chance he is good enough, but it is way too early to be saying Ullmark is going to be stellar once he has a capable team in front of him.

Two words... Robin.Lehner.

A good defensive system CAN make any goalie better instantly. If you've ever seen Ullmark play you know he has the skill set & reflexes required to play at the highest level - hell, Crawford/Niemi & Quick won multiple cups on that model... And none of them are above average goaltenders in a vacuum.

I never said he would immediately be 'stellar' - however, the goalie isnt a stand-alone in this league any more - in a good system an average goalie wins games and a good goalie wins cups. Ullmark has to at be considered to at least have 'good' goalie potential with a solid team in front of him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Two words... Robin.Lehner.

A good defensive system CAN make any goalie better instantly. If you've ever seen Ullmark play you know he has the skill set & reflexes required to play at the highest level - hell, Crawford/Niemi & Quick won multiple cups on that model... And none of them are above average goaltenders in a vacuum.

I never said he would immediately be 'stellar' - however, the goalie isnt a stand-alone in this league any more - in a good system an average goalie wins games and a good goalie wins cups. Ullmark has to at be considered to at least have 'good' goalie potential with a solid team in front of him.

Sure, the system certainly helped. There’s also that whole matter of him being clean and sober and having proper mental health support.

Reactions: Baccus

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Was Mitts a top 10 pick or not? If anything he is starting to get underrated. The way Mitts is talked about you would think a player can't vastly improve from D+2 to his D+3 season. Mitts is going to be 21 and in his 2nd full season. He will have far better talent around him. Mitts will put up 40-45 points this year. Maybe more if he gets to center one of Skinner or Reinhart.
Only 40-45? That's a disappointing season after the 55+ points you said he would put up multiple times last season.

lauraP

Aug 4, 2019
Only 40-45? That's a disappointing season after the 55+ points you said he would put up multiple times last season.
disappointing for mitts to put up 40-45 points in his 2nd season but not for reinhart ? hmm interesting

Mitts will be coming along nicely if he looks the same as last year, i'll suggest moving him to wing

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
disappointing for mitts to put up 40-45 points in his 2nd season but not for reinhart ? hmm interesting

Mitts will be coming along nicely if he looks the same as last year, i'll suggest moving him to wing

No, the shot is at Layne’s assessments of player production.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Safe and smart. I didn't expect or want some overpayment to fill needed voids and am happy the organization stood firm.

If Krueger and Bales can right the ship, sure, let's kick this up to Excellent at the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad