Rating the offseason as it stands

How would you rate the Sabres offseason if this is it

• Total voters

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
If no further changes are made how would you rate Botterill’s offseason?

In my opinion we’ve made good value trades but not nearly enough to make this team competitive next year or gain traction in our division. I’d say we’ve kept pace or even lost a bit of ground in our division so I’m giving it an average.

Interested to see what the rest of the HF fan base thinks.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Above average for sure.

Added:

Bringing in Ralph who seems to have a great hockey mind and personality that players feed off of.
Veteran depth in Johansson (hoping he can stay healthy)
A very nice prospect in Jokiharu who looks like a sure thing imho
Vesey who could thrive and put up 20 goals
Colin Miller who looked ok last year, but played well in 17-18 (a fresh start should help)
Drafting Dylan Cozens
Adding Rochester pieces

I'm not sure we're a playoff team, because the Atlantic is so tough. Who knows though.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Excellent. Alot of the steps taken to instill or help instill confidence in the core have been taken. I expect the group to take a step forward as a whole this season.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Average until the fat is trimmed from the roster. Forward core still lacks an identity, but rebuilding the defensive core and pipeline was appreciated. A lot depends on how these next few weeks pan out.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
When Risto gets dealt for two 2nd round pics and a cap dump, i can finally vote "poor".

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Made some good moves to add some young d men.
Brought in Johansson which was a good addition.
But questionable addition of Vesey and nothing to adress the 2C problem.
He should have gambled on Gusev instead of adding Vesey.
Its not enough to bring this team out of the basement given the quality of opposition in the division there is some luck and consistent elite production of key players needed to be a bubble team at the end of the season and maybe sneak into the postseason.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Until we see what we have, it’s average for me. Lots of small moves which I have liked. I liked the Miller move due to the quality player Miller is, and I liked the MaJo signing.

I liked the low cost move that brought Vesey here.

I like that we have brought in NHL level players to fill in our secondary scoring. Something that has been lacking for quite a bit of time.

I’m not a fan of the Krueger hire and the plans for coaching duties. It’s going to rely on two coaches that have not worked together ever to be in-sync with one another to build/create a system that is competitive night in and night out.

Because of this I don’t like that we hired Krueger, a guy out of hockey for years. I don’t doubt his ability to be a positive influence/motivator in the room, but it takes more to KEEP the room positive for long term. If the system is not leading them to succeed, they will lose the room. Delegating duties that should fall on the head coach might work in tournaments where you have other head coaches helping you. I don’t think you’d get the same results with lesser players and lesser coaches. There is a lot of risk with how they are handling this.

I also have not like how they have handled the Risto situation.

I’m continuing to not like the draft capital spending that has been going on for a team that wants to draft and develop. Especially since we don’t exactly have a surplus of picks like we had a few years ago. I’d take no issue with it, if we were refilling these picks.

Overall, this has easily been Botts best offseason. Still, I don’t think it’s anything more than average.

There is a lot of “hope” and risk taking for this team to turn it around. I am not a fan of the Sabres experimenting and trying to reinvent the wheel with their coaching hire. Pegula and company thinking they know better than the rest of the league has been proven to be false time and time again.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Until we see what we have, it’s average for me. Lots of small moves which I have liked. I liked the Miller move due to the quality player Miller is, and I liked the MaJo signing.

I liked the low cost move that brought Vesey here.

I like that we have brought in NHL level players to fill in our secondary scoring. Something that has been lacking for quite a bit of time.

I’m not a fan of the Krueger hire and the plans for coaching duties. It’s going to rely on two coaches that have not worked together ever to be in-sync with one another to build/create a system that is competitive night in and night out.

Because of this I don’t like that we hired Krueger, a guy out of hockey for years. I don’t doubt his ability to be a positive influence/motivator in the room, but it takes more to KEEP the room positive for long term. If the system is not leading them to succeed, they will lose the room. Delegating duties that should fall on the head coach might work in tournaments where you have other head coaches helping you. I don’t think you’d get the same results with lesser players and lesser coaches. There is a lot of risk with how they are handling this.

I also have not like how they have handled the Risto situation.

I’m continuing to not like the draft capital spending that has been going on for a team that wants to draft and develop. Especially since we don’t exactly have a surplus of picks like we had a few years ago. I’d take no issue with it, if we were refilling these picks.

Overall, this has easily been Botts best offseason. Still, I don’t think it’s anything more than average.

There is a lot of “hope” and risk taking for this team to turn it around. I am not a fan of the Sabres experimenting and trying to reinvent the wheel with their coaching hire. Pegula and company thinking they know better than the rest of the league has been proven to be false time and time again.
Even though I like the Kreuger hire I can't deny a lot of what you said was very true. A high risk/high reward hire just blew up in our face and if this one does the same the better part of the next decade will be a disaster.

My view of the offseason is that nothing was done to move the needle. Our roster is a little better than last year but most of the East made significant improvements that blew anything we did straight out of the water. The good of MoJo was balanced out by wasting a 3rd rounder on Vessy, the type of below average player we already have far too many of. Also not impressed with our draft (particularly ignoring by far our biggest organizational weakness at forward with that first by drafting a defenseman, then using the 3rd to draft a goalie).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
We're definitely better. But I went into to the offseason feeling that there would be major roster turnover and all Botterill did was dig in deeper with last years team and add some depth.

I'de give it a B for better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I had similar feelings after his first summer: some nice moves and the lingering sensation of “Where is the rest?” So that’s pretty average. Maybe a slight nod to above average, but I’ve been burned consistently by this franchise and overestimating what they’ve done. So now I am a Missourian: show me.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'm going above average.

Joki and Miller were good moves. Johansson average or just above. Ahl depth above average

Drafting cozens and hiring Ralph were average, might work, might not but can't say either was bad.

vesey below average. No real 2C below average

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
If my pipe dream of them playing Reinhart at 2C comes true, and they plan on moving someone like Olofsson to RW, then I’d call it an above average to excellent off-season.

Will be even better if the Eklund rumor (I know) of Risto for Mantha pans out and they play him at RW.

...but... basing it solely on the moves so far, and the unlikelihood of Sam actually being their future 2C ... it’s just a nip hair above average for me.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Voted above average...a Risto trade could sway that to Excellent or Average very quickly though.

-----------------

MoJo was a solid low-risk signing that provides a good, versatile, top-9 vet.

Miller was a solid cheap addition with upside. Could have just stolen a top-4 D.

Nylander for Joki seems like a win. Time will tell on this one but as of now, that was a great move value-wise.

Vesey was meh and seems unnecessary espescially with the winger jam we already have, but we will wait and see on this one.

I am optimistic about Krueger. But I was about Housley too... So we shall wait and see here.

Cozens wasn't my favourite pick there, but could have been worse. And he could still very well prove me wrong and turn out great so another TBD.

Good job building Rochester as usual with some high quality July 1st AHL signings.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I went with average since they didn't address some of the bigger issues everyone identified heading into the off season.

I like plenty of the moves that were made. But, it could be all for naught if the team is limited due to ongoing issues especially at center and in net.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I voted Average

Once everything is said and done, fundamentally this is the same team it was last year. Expecting improvement from a few players because they're a year older isn't unreasonable but its also doesn't take a lot of effort either. (team building-wise). The Sabres had a bit of room under the salary cap and they came away with Johansson and Vesey.... not necessarily bad players but neither are they going to move the needle upward significantly either. But the Sabres also didn't lose any of their "core" components.

So, a solid C from me.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
That whole defense and its emergence will be a thing of beauty to watch. Far from the same team imo.

Colin Miller is a good player, no doubt he will help. But Montour was already on the squad before the season started (and the poll was specifically about the off-season). Jokiharju will most likely be in Rochester to start the season, and who knows for how long? There simply isn't room for him on the NHL roster at this time, and until there is that off-season trade is essentially AHL-for-AHL players.

Yes, they brought in some good defensemen, no doubt. But they also failed to clear up the logjam on the blueline. So until they do and make roster spots for the young talented players to be able to contribute, its Average to me.

But I agree, some day that defensive talent will be fun to watch. Not sure its this season though.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I voted Average

Once everything is said and done, fundamentally this is the same team it was last year. Expecting improvement from a few players because they're a year older isn't unreasonable but its also doesn't take a lot of effort either. (team building-wise). The Sabres had a bit of room under the salary cap and they came away with Johansson and Vesey.... not necessarily bad players but neither are they going to move the needle upward significantly either. But the Sabres also didn't lose any of their "core" components.

So, a solid C from me.

Not high on Miller or Montour?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I'll say average until we see some results. Like the Krueger hire but it's still an unknown and the entire season hinges on that hire. Some nice moves, but we still don't have a 2C and all of last year's whipping boys are still on the roster (or skating with the team hoping for a contract....). I'm optimistic and I did really like the MoJo, Miller, and Jokiharju moves so I'm hoping we see a significantly more polished product on the ice. Even though we haven't acquired a 2C yet, I'm hopeful that the middle 6 gets a boost from guys like Johansson, Olofsson, and Vesey. Hopefully the domino effect of the new players in the lineup gives us some better scoring depth overall.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I like the trade with Chicago a lot and the other moves were positive. That said he failed to address the center position for the upcoming season and I think the season pretty much rides on Casey Mittelstadt's progression. If he takes a big step this team should be at least contending for a playoff spot into the final week of the season. If he doesn't take that step I think it could be another awful year.

I wish we had done more to add a true top sixer. Eichel, Skinner and Reinhart, until others prove themselves are the only legit top 6 forwards on the team. Botterill is pretty much letting his job ride on the notion that guys like Mittelstadt, Thompson and Olofsson are going to be ready for much larger roles. Maybe it will happen or maybe Eichel will hit the next tier and Dahlin will be a Norris candidate. I hope all of those things happen and we make the playoffs, but when I look around at the other teams in the conference, I wouldn't bet on us making the ending the drought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad