Rating the defence

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I wish someone would tell the coaching staff how terrible Risto has played, because he is currently averaging 5+ minutes more than any other Sabres skater. You guys are fooling yourselves if you don’t think he is solidly our best defender RIGHT NOW. At worst he is second to McCabe.

Currently:
Risto
McCabe
Dahlin
Bogo
Scandella
Nelson
So minutes played equals who is best?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I wish someone would tell out coaching staff how terrible Risto has played too. But I actually mean it.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
So minutes played equals who is best?
Typically, yes. You think the coaches put that much on the shoulders of their 5th best defenseman? Give me a break. You notice risto’s mistakes because he is on the ice for 25 minutes a night.

But, by all means, continue the ill-informed ranting about how Risto is a bottom pair defenseman.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So the results don’t matter to you?

That’s...something.

You’re literally believing anything the coach tells you just because he’s wearing a hat that says coach on it.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
As of right now:

Dahlin
Bogosian
McCabe
Risto
Nelson
Beaulieu
Scandella.

Scandella has been dreadful without looking at analytics, McCabe is inconsistent, Bogosian has been a rock since coming back. Risto is well, Risto.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Typically, yes. You think the coaches put that much on the shoulders of their 5th best defenseman? Give me a break. You notice risto’s mistakes because he is on the ice for 25 minutes a night.

But, by all means, continue the ill-informed ranting about how Risto is a bottom pair defenseman.
And you leave no possibility that a coach cant misuse a player?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think the best way to explain Risto's 25 min a night is that Housely right now doesn't have many options that don't include upping Dahlin's ice time and/or giving Dahlin tougher minutes.

It's clear as day that the organization's plan with Dahlin is to bring him along slowly. This then in turn means that Risto gets to log heavy minutes (again), and in doing so exposes Risto's not-so-good qualities. That said, you're already starting to see mild shifts. The last 3 games I've noticed Housley play the Rasmi together a couple shifts a period.

I think that once Risto transitions into a 2nd pair role (behind Dahlin), you'll see his overall play go up as his quality of competition goes down and his minutes go down.

But for right now, playing Risto 25 min a night is basically because other options don't end well for us (Bogo breaks, McCabe breaks down, Scandella....no)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00