OT: Rating Our TDL

How did our TDL go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I gave it an 8, only because I would have liked to see a forward prospect coming in somewhere.

Happy with the Kreider signing, took less than his main comparables Lee and Kane, and the contract structure is good for us.

Very happy we dumped a defenseman getting paid $5.2 million that has declined every year since signing the contract, and got a 1st for our trouble.

Could we have made more moves? Sure, but I see it as the FO rewarding the team with a shot at a playoff run in light of their good play recently (keeping Fast and Strome).

Reactions: jas

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

Strome and/or Fast should have been moved. Fast is likely at his peak, career wise, so value was high, and Strome, kinda the same thing, but his peak was likely about 1-2 months ago.

Missed opportunity to cash in, but we will see.

Strome is still producing at a fantastic rate. 11 points in his last 8 games and he is on pace for 70+ points. This may be his peak but it doesn't mean he can't maintain this level of production next to Panarin for a few years. He has said he really wants to stay and loves it here. I think he will follow Kreider's lead and take an AAV discount in order to do so. Something like 3-4X5M would be an excellent deal and put him back in UFA status at a reasonable age (30-31) to land another good contract here or elsewhere.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m happy with the deadline. I’m not assigning a number. I do wish that, since we now know Kreider was willing to sign a team friendly-ish deal, we could have traded him and resigned him in the offseason.

This little playoff run is fun but it’s not leading anywhere. Improving our own first round pick in addition to the assets returned for a Kreider rental was my ideal scenario.

It could be that this simply wasn’t an option, but it’s the universe in which I would have been most satisfied.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m happy with the deadline. I’m not assigning a number. I do wish that, since we now know Kreider was willing to sign a team friendly-ish deal, we could have traded him and resigned him in the offseason.

This little playoff run is fun but it’s not leading anywhere. Improving our own first round pick in addition to the assets returned for a Kreider rental was my ideal scenario. Imagine heading into this draft with three firsts on top of the knowledge that the team is already pretty good.

It could be that this simply wasn’t an option, but it’s the universe in which I would have been most satisfied.

Deleted member 23124

I think the Kreider deal was a mistake and will come back to haunt us.

I think they did well to jettison Ska-jay.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s a 10.

keeping Kreider was great. Would have much rather gave the extra year than the extra .5 cap hit. He is here as long as Panarin, and as long as Panarin is producing the Rangers window should be open again by 2021.

Skjei trade was a grand slam. Boston had to GIVE their 1st round pick for their cap dump. Rangers got one. Also special shout out to the Devils who cleared enough from Carolina’s cap to make it happen.

in all seriousness though Skjei is good but replaceable because the Rangers have people that can play 2nd pairing. They can use the rest of the year to figure out if they have anyone that can play top pairing. If not, they have the ammo to get one.

Rangers are set up very well. All of their dead weight are on expiring contracts after this season so they will be movable in the summer. Everyone else is under RFA control.

I would have liked to see Smith or Staal moved for Grabner but there will be moves for those guys one way or the other in the summer.

I’ll leave the speculation on if the car accident would have changed things or not to others, but this is a team that is positioned well. They HAD to move Skjei today and they did. For a first. That is a win.

Reactions: jas

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are things we don't know. If someone for instance had come along with a 2nd for Jesper Fast I would have moved him. If all we could get was a 3rd though I wouldn't have moved him for that. I like him as a player and don't have an issue that he's still here. I think there's a pretty good chance that he'll re-sign with us for about what he makes now.

There was no point in selling off young players. There was no point in being a buyer. We didn't do those things. I'm okay with the Skjei deal---I think we got fair value back for him--15 to 20 OA in a good draft is fine. He's a good player--he's just not a first pair worthy player and his contract was a bit much. Happy Kreider re-signed. The term is at least a year too long but the cap amount is really good. He could easily have got what Hayes got if not more on the open market. He's a more valuable player than Hayes.

So I think we did fine---didn't do anything stupid.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

The Kreider extension versus a Pageau like return, which could have been traded again is a big loss.

Moving Skjei was a win, yet given they went with Trouba last year, who they pick to play LD going forward could turn that into a loss.

Reactions: UnSandvich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know if we're going to be able to afford Strome but IMO it's best to take that issue to the summer. He's an RFA so we still have some control over him and can trade him if necessary to get some value back.

He's had real good chemistry with Panarin and really I know Panarin is the driving force on that line but still Strome has 55 points in 61 games. He's pro-rating to a 75 point season and he's good enough in other areas aside from point production. I really don't understand why so many people don't like him. Face-offs kind of average, defense--about average, as a penalty killer he's been good, physical game is not great but not terrible and he will drop the gloves in a pinch, his teammates seem to like him. He has his mental breakdowns but he's also good at taking advantage of opponents when they have their mental breakdowns. Very good hockey instincts and very good creativity--reasons why he works well with Panarin.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

liked the Skjei move in a vacuum. I think we got good value for him, and moving forward I think it will prove to be the right move, but we are VERY thin on NHL LD in the short term. I don't think Skjei was ever going to be more than he currently is, and we got rid of a potential problem contract for good value. We have quite the LD pipeline, so I don't think we will suffer for very long, so overall a positive for me.

I wanted Kreider to stay. I don't mind the cap hit, I hate the 7 years. I got what I wanted, but we sacrificed more than what I would have liked. I still like this more than I dislike it because who knows what the last years of that contract will bring for this team, while in the next few years we still have our veteran leader with a very unique skill set. I am all about getting younger, but you can't win with a team of 24 year olds.

I am not happy that we did not trade either of Fast/Strome, especially with the stupid value mediocre players were returning yesterday.

I was hoping someone would take Smith but whatever

ecstatic that we did not trade ADA.

The car accident puts a huge damper on everything.

+1 for not making a stupid panic movie because of the accident

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Made the weakest position on our team even weaker
Signed Kreider to a contract that's going to look terrible in a few years
Got a 1st, but most of the cap space freed up is going to need to go to a Skjei replacement

Grade could go as high as a 6 or 7 in a year or so if one of our prospects pulls a Lindgren and actually contributes, replacing Skjei at a discount, but that's kinda hard to count on

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I've been going back and forth in my head about Kreider and honestly, I think I'm happy they kept him after the decision was made for me. I think he's more important than just what we see on the ice. There's a definite bond and friendship with Zibanejad. And their chemistry on the ice can't be understated. In the same way I reject the "Strome is nothing without Panarin", I reject the idea that it's easy to replace a guy who fits a line perfectly. We saw that neither Chris Drury nor Scott Gomez could replicate the chemistry that Jagr had with Nylander. I also think that its important for the young guys to see the organization keeping one of their own (after dealing guys like McDonagh, Zucc and Hayes).

I love the Skjei trade. I think it's really important to have a second 1st round pick in this draft.Between that, the financial flexibility they get, and Skjei's inconsistency, this is a no-brainer. There were too many nights when I asked myself "What does Skjei really do?" A frustrating player. And while Skjei and Trouba might have been buddies, I can't say they were a great defensive pairing. I had proposed a Skjei for Nino Niederreiter trade. I would rather have a first round pick than NN for where this team is now — especially after they added Gauthier.

The organization has seems to have a love for Fast that I can't say I definitely understand. But they kept him and I guess that's fine after having added a second 1st round pick.

The Igor/Buch incident put a bit of a damper on the day. Thankfully, it doesn't sound too serious for either guy. It certainly took trading Georgiev out of play.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied. I've said, that if this, as is, manages to earn a playoff spot, so be it. But I didn't want them to make moves to attempt to sneak in (hold Kreider without extending him, trading picks, youth for vet moves). By and large, they did that.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think I'm going to go with 7. Though it's hard to really evaluate it until some other moves come into view. Primarily what they do with the money they freed up from dealing Skjei. I'm also including the Gauthier trade in there and I really like that move.

Two sort of "ugh" aspects are the 7th year for Kreider and the fact that Fast is still here. Fast is a nice player, but not really a guy I want to keep long-term. Self-renting him isn't ideal. Waiting to see the contract structure for Kreider before I really evaluate it.

Barring anything else, the Rangers should be able to keep most of their team in-tact heading into next season. Unfortunately that left-side of the defense is seriously suspect and they don't have the cap flexibility to really improve it. But again, that can all change if the Rangers have a conversation with Hank and he decides to move on in some capacity.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think I'm going to go with 7. Though it's hard to really evaluate it until some other moves come into view. Primarily what they do with the money they freed up from dealing Skjei. I'm also including the Gauthier trade in there and I really like that move.

Two sort of "ugh" aspects are the 7th year for Kreider and the fact that Fast is still here. Fast is a nice player, but not really a guy I want to keep long-term. Self-renting him isn't ideal. Waiting to see the contract structure for Kreider before I really evaluate it.

Barring anything else, the Rangers should be able to keep most of their team in-tact heading into next season. Unfortunately that left-side of the defense is seriously suspect and they don't have the cap flexibility to really improve it. But again, that can all change if the Rangers have a conversation with Hank and he decides to move on in some capacity.

Its out there already. Tons of Front loading/SB's, NMC for 4 years, NTC for the last 3.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

The contract structure has been posted in both the Trade deadline and Kreider threads.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I think the Kreider contract was fair. I mean he left money on the table to stay here. One extra year doesn’t bother me especially since it isn’t a full NMC in the final couple years. Some people wanted a 5 year deal lol. I’m sorry but there is no way in hell a 28 year old would accept that and leave that much money on the table. In the end I think it’s good for both sides.

The Skjei deal I liked. This was a player I was really growing to like and thought he was a big part of the future until the last couple years that he regressed. The fact that we got out of that contract and gain led another first in a string draft class is another win

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

The way I see it, Kreider is an intelligent, unique player that is very difficult to replace - one that is extremely coveted it today's NHL. He is also captain material who I believe is improving both on and off the ice. It was the right time to send a message to the team and the fans that the time for jettisoning fan favorite vets is over and CK was the correct player to do it with.

I also felt that despite the going rate for his services, the Rangers wouldn't have gotten the high-level prospect they sought and other than a first rounder (and a potential conditional) we would've been disappointed with the return for him.

On the flip side with Skjei, you likely get a higher first round pick than what you would've got for Kreider - and open up much needed cap room that will give the Rangers some much needed flexibility going forward.

We recently had a poll which asked "Which Rangers player on the current roster frustrates you the most?" and Brady took it down with 43.5% of the vote. It was obvious he was underperforming for his salary and signed for another 4 seasons. He wasn't the future of this club on LD and you got a first round pick for him. '

As far as Fast goes, the team absolutely loves the guy and he has a lot of value. Value that wouldnt have been reflected fairly in assets coming back. I was ok keeping him and i don't think that situation was mis-managed.

The most important thing for me is there is a plan to it all and they are sticking to it. This is far from what we went through with Sather plucking FAs out of the air blindly and not knowing his own prospects, or taking shots on ridiculous reclamation projects every season.

The Rangers are in better shape today then they were at the start of yesterday.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
To be honest, when I saw we signed Kreider to 7 years... I was at about a 4. I like the dollar amount but I just couldn't get past the term and I was worried that it meant DeAngelo or Buchnevich would become cap casualties. When I saw that Gorton had the cajones to move Skjei instead, it went up to an 8. I like Brady more than most but he wasn't getting it done.

Overall, if we had either re-signed or moved Fast, I'd have gone with a 9 or 10. I just don't like him being in limbo but that is my only real complaint. Another job well done from JG.

Reactions: NYRangers0723

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Having now seen the contract structure, it bumps me up from a 6 to a 6.5-7.

Reactions: Trxjw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->