OT: Rating Our TDL

How did our TDL go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Let's see what people think about the day as a whole (ignoring the Buch/Shesty car accident).

Take into account:

- Kreider re-signed at 7 x $6.5, assuming a NMC for the first four years, which becomes a modified NMC (10-team list) after the 4th year.
- Skjei to Carolina for a first round pick that will likely fall in the high teens or early 20s, but could be as high as the top three if things work out, or as low as the late 20s if things do not.
- Not trading Fast.
- Howden and Gauthier being designated as options to be sent to Hartford for the playoffs.

Give your rating out of 10, where:
1 = We just sold Gretzky to Los Angeles for $1M
5 = We treaded water, and never helped nor hurt the re-tool
10 = We just bought Gretzky from Edmonton for $1M

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I went 8 as I'm a pretty happy camper right now after the TDL.

We kept Kreider which I really wanted to do and we got him back for about as good a deal as anyone who wanted him back could have possibly expected. Gorton got Kreider to take less money and gave in a year on the term. I'm more than fine with that especially because I'm confident that Kreider will be a Top 6 guy for at least 4 if not 5 years of the 7 and even if turns out to be a 3rd liner the last couple of years, it makes the deal well well worth it.

I may be in the minority here but I had my doubts we could even get a team to bite on Skjei and give us a #1 pick considering how crappy, let's be honest, how his play has deteriorated since his rookie season when he was en fuego.

So for Gorton to get a 20's type #1 from Carolina was a nice move by Gorton and it frees up some cap space to insure that Tony D comes back.

The Gautier for Keane move was an excellent upside gamble as well and so I have to give the TDL a solid 8 and I have nothing to complain about.

I'm even happy Fast is still here cause I think with him still here, he can help the playoff push for sure and even when he becomes a UFA, I can easily see him coming back.

As I said, I be a happy camper and I really think we did about as good as we possibly could have expected considering the fine line we had to walk.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

Kreider @ a bargain bin AAV. Can't squabble over 1 extra year when he clearly took quite a pay cut. I didn't think there was any way he'd come under 7x7.

They unloaded the player that provided the least amount of value to this team when taking into account contract size and cap hit. And they got a 1st to boot. Remarkable.

After these two moves, throwing Fast away for a mid round pick would have been counter-intuitive. They still have a chance this year. He's worth more than that to us right now even if he walks in the summer.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Probably a 5, trending to a 6 after having some time to digest it all.

I was never a proponent of a Kreider extension over trade, so didn't love that at first. But the Skjei trade made up for it a bit, plus helped me look more at the positives of the Kreider deal.

But really, the biggest takeaway for me was how completely different the TDL turned out compared to my expectations going in last night.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Gave it a 7.

Kreider is the right move. He's got the one thing the other UFA players had, size and speed. Hayes getting older will get much slower and he can't lose a step. Zuke losing a step with his size was never going to work here.

Kreider could lose his speed, which is really fast, and be an effective player. He takes care of himself and his abilities in front can age well.

I'm not surprised Skjei was moved, just that it was now and not the draft. 1st is a very good return. We could make the postseason and put ourselves in the lotto, especially if Toronto misses.

Feel like the group of Hayes, Vesey, Skjei, and Miller had to go. Young guys that just seemed happy to be in the NHL, except Hayes, the return there was too good. Miller never reminded me as someone that was going 100% at it. Same with Vesey. Skjei was the last of that group. Never exceeded what they came in as.

Fast probably was not getting the 2nd pick they wanted. He's worth more than a 3rd and a long shot. Keep him around and see what happens in the offseason. If they fall out of it, they can move him down a line, try a kid there and let him help another line.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Gave it a 5 and if we count Gauthier for Keane id give it a 6
-Im fine with the Kreider extension but that term is scary
-Was hoping to get another prospect alongside the pick for Skjei but getting the first obviously makes up for not getting one for Kreider and its nice to have multiple firsts in a stacked draft
-Keeping Fast is so ridiculously dumb, even if the offers weren't what the Rangers were hoping for. Hell even getting a 4th or 5th like Namestnikov or Simmonds would have been much better then letting him walk in 5 months for literally nothing. Its all in a vain attempt to get that last wildcard.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I find it pretty funny about the self renting on Fast hurts the grade. Have no doubt best offer JG got was a third which would be a late third.
Of course it could have been a better day but the Skjei trade salvages it a bit I would say a 6.
Wish we knew what was offered for Kreider. I guess we will never know. Could have just been Jost and a first meh.
I know Kreiders term is longer and it leaves a hole at LD but I think this team is better with CK on it than Skjei.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Will be nice to see what Gauthier brings the final 20 games plus. So far I think he has shown some flashes of being a physical power forward. If Kreider and Buch are out this week he will have a chance to show what he has. If he can TDL grade goes up a few notches.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Kreiders contract had me cursing. The back half of that contract is going to hinder us. We had the opportunity of trading him for prospects that would have term and can help us down the line with cap friendly contracts.

On the other hand, we got a 1st round pick in an incredible draft year.

If we got Newhook for Kreider... I would have gave it a 10. And if we didn't make the skjei trade ... I would have gave it a 1.

Reactions: zephyr

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

Strome and/or Fast should have been moved. Fast is likely at his peak, career wise, so value was high, and Strome, kinda the same thing, but his peak was likely about 1-2 months ago.

Missed opportunity to cash in, but we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->