There's 7 of them, 4 F, 1 D, and 2 G:

Zherdev
Perezhogin
Kostitsyn
Horton

Kronwall

Fleury
Ward

... things start to get interesting here ... if the 9A,'s, 9B's, and 8.5A's make up the top 9, there's only room for one of these guys in the top ten ... that, and the equation of Perezhogin with Kostitsyn, and Fleury with Ward ...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
It's laughable that these guys are 8.5Bs when compared to the 8.5A list, and even some of the 9s. That Nik Zherdev is below guys like Tjutin, Parise, and Carter is flat-out ridiculous. Fleury, Kronwall, and Horton should all be ranked higher.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
I really don't see Kronwall as a 8.5 B. Maybe a 8.0 B or a 8.0 A.

Sure, he scored 53 points in the AHL but he's 24 years old.

A guy like Ed Jovanovski for example, scored 47 points in the NHL as a 24 year old.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Zherdev is too low. should get a 9.0B or at least 8.5A.

Perezhogin is okay at 8.5B, he has nice numbers this year though playing most of his time on the 3rd line an could get 2nd-line icetime next season in Montreal.

Kostitsyn maybe have more upside than Perezhogin, but isn´t as save IMO. I would rate him 9.0C. Same with Horton (because of his injury).

turnbuckle*

Pretty tough to argue with the rankings when everyone quibbling about players or rankings is within less than one point or letter. Arguing that a player should be a 8.5 B instead of a 8.0 A, for instance, is fairly fruitless. I have to commend the "team" at HF for coming up with a well-thought out list, even if there are debates.

Kostitsyn was a 9.0 C earlier in the year, but Montreal's writer (Montreal) has seen enough of Kosty this season to determine that he has improved defensively more than most had anticipated. At the same time, he did not produce as well as most had hoped after his flashes of offensive brilliance in his draft year. Koistitsyn looks like he'll be a tough, two-way, skilled forward that will show flashes of offensive skills until he gains enough confidence to become a top two-way forward in the NHL. The kid will be a bull. 8.5 B+ or A-, if there were such rankings,

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
turnbuckle said:
Kostitsyn was a 9.0 C earlier in the year, but Montreal's writer (Montreal) has seen enough of Kosty this season to determine that he has improved defensively more than most had anticipated. At the same time, he did not produce as well as most had hoped after his flashes of offensive brilliance in his draft year. Koistitsyn looks like he'll be a tough, two-way, skilled forward that will show flashes of offensive skills until he gains enough confidence to become a top two-way forward in the NHL. The kid will be a bull. 8.5 B+ or A-, if there were such rankings,

He looks like he will be a tough, two-way, skilled forward? A bull?

Where did you get that from?

gallagher

Epsilon said:
It's laughable that these guys are 8.5Bs when compared to the 8.5A list, and even some of the 9s. That Nik Zherdev is below guys like Tjutin, Parise, and Carter is flat-out ridiculous. Fleury, Kronwall, and Horton should all be ranked higher.

Correct, correct, correct.

The rankings in this case are silly. I'm sure it's because no one has ever layed them out like this before, which clearly shows the problems. Zherdev below these guys is, well, silly.

Once we start splitting the hairs this way it becomes more obvious that the rankings are off in the details.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
mercury said:
74 pts. in 55 games in the OHL, and 13 pts. in 11 playoff games in the AHL. Carter=Bust of the Century. 4.5D. :shakehead

if kostitsyn would not have played in the ahl, it would have played in the whl has medicine hat and it would have had good stat

precisely casing in ahl is on the first line , kostitsyn was on the third line

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Kronwall looks great but 8.5B??? I don't think so...Same goes for Kostitsyn, both are 8.0Bs to me at best.

turnbuckle*

Vlad The Impaler said:
He looks like he will be a tough, two-way, skilled forward? A bull?

Where did you get that from?

Where did I get that from? For one thing my eyeballs. I saw Kosty play at least 15 times this season, and the progression in his two-way game was highly impressive. By the end of the AHL season Jarvis didn't hesitate to play him in important situations because he had caught on to the system.

He really impressed me with his strength, hitting, two-way play, and offensive skill at the World juniors; he was a bull. The kid is built like a tank, and in a couple more years I can see him being a "bull" in the NHL that is not afraid to take or dish out a hit. All he needs is a little more muscle and confidence.

Recent quote from Pierre Gauthier after the Worlds - "They asked Kostytsin to play defensively, and he did it well. He worked hard."

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Zherdev in the same list with Kostytsin and Perezhogin? Sounds as big joke. Imo, he is in the same group as Semin and maybe he has something similar with Ovechkin and Malkin.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Ward dominated in the ahl in his first season, and basically anywhere he played. He is constantly rising, and I think he'll be a 9B soon enough. He is really underrated on these boards.

4check22

Jul 19, 2003
Karl Spackler's hovel
turnbuckle said:
Where did I get that from? For one thing my eyeballs. I saw Kosty play at least 15 times this season, and the progression in his two-way game was highly impressive. By the end of the AHL season Jarvis didn't hesitate to play him in important situations because he had caught on to the system.

He really impressed me with his strength, hitting, two-way play, and offensive skill at the World juniors; he was a bull. The kid is built like a tank, and in a couple more years I can see him being a "bull" in the NHL that is not afraid to take or dish out a hit. All he needs is a little more muscle and confidence.

Recent quote from Pierre Gauthier after the Worlds - "They asked Kostytsin to play defensively, and he did it well. He worked hard."
Great retort, dude! I don't know much about these guys because I have little knowledge of prospects, but you sold me with that! HI LAR I OUS.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
gars59 said:
if kostitsyn would not have played in the ahl, it would have played in the whl has medicine hat and it would have had good stat
Only "good" stats? A 19 year old highly touted prospect without much of a defensive game should have done a lot better than "good" in the WHL.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Kostitsyn has yet to show his best. People should get off the guys back... not only was he adjusting to north america this season but to a total defense-minded system in hamilton. He has similar OFFENSIVE potential to that of the best of them. ( Vanek, Ovechkin, Malkin)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Pepper said:
Kronwall looks great but 8.5B??? I don't think so...Same goes for Kostitsyn, both are 8.0Bs to me at best.

Agree completely on Kostitsyn. Disagree completely on Kronwall. Quite frankly I consider Kronwall to the third best defensive prospect in the NHL behind Suter and Phaneuf and a top 15 prospect in the world. He is a complete package. He's got outstanding offensive skills and instincts. He's solid defensively, he will lay out the opposition with thundering checks and this year he took a huge step forward and completely dominated (winning the AHL's top defenseman award). When the NHL resumes play, he's going to be one of Detroits top defenseman.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Poochie_D said:
Kostitsyn has yet to show his best. People should get off the guys back... not only was he adjusting to north america this season but to a total defense-minded system in hamilton. He has similar OFFENSIVE potential to that of the best of them. ( Vanek, Ovechkin, Malkin)

Why did you put Vanek in the same sentence? :shakehead

Anyway, what do those numbers mean (8.5B, 9A...)? What kind of scale is it?

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
TORRUS said:
Why did you put Vanek in the same sentence? :shakehead

Anyway, what do those numbers mean (8.5B, 9A...)? What kind of scale is it?

The definitions are here:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections.php

So for example, Zach Parise is defined as an 8.5A. This means that:

He projects to be between a First line forward and an elite forward (between Elias and Sakic), and he is "All but guaranteed to reach potential." Meaning he is all but guaranteed to be better than Elias, Tkachuk, and Foote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad