Rate this goalie: Martin Houle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruins4777*

If given the chances, yes, i think he could be a starter. But with a guy like niity in front of him, i doubt it with the flyers. I think the flyers have the best goaltending depth around outside of the bruins. In immediate memory...

Sad thing is, stupid NHL doesn't give chances to short players, especially goaltenders no matter how much they prove themselves. I only hope that houle is given the chance at starter with some team. He sounds like a goalie who plays a very entertaining and solid style.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
I don't think he'll ever even have a pro career.

As a 15yr old he went into his midget teams playoffs as one of the top rated goalie for the draft. He has a bad playoff game, his backup takes over and plays well, and suddenly Houle falls to the 4th round.

Fast forward to now, after his 19yr old season, and while he has put together a couple of very good regular seasons he has a grand total of 1 playoff game win(happened this year when it was already 3-0 so the win was pretty meaningless)

Martin Houle is a good goalie, as long as the game does not mean anything. And that is the reason why he will be back in the Q next season and probably will not get a contract from Philly(Tremblay would be the better option if I had to choose between the 2 which I think Philly will do)

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
RyanM said:
Martin Houle is a good goalie, as long as the game does not mean anything. And that is the reason why he will be back in the Q next season and probably will not get a contract from Philly(Tremblay would be the better option if I had to choose between the 2 which I think Philly will do)

The Flyers won't sign Houle this season, but not because of Tremblay. They have 3 other goalies that they would have to sign over Houle this offeseason. They can always sign Houle next year.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
I would prefer to see the Flyers sign Houle over Tremblay, but Beauchemin over both.

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
RuzickaFan23 said:
I would prefer to see the Flyers sign Houle over Tremblay, but Beauchemin over both.

If you seen any of the Cape Breton/Gatineau series, you would probably change your mind. Tremblay was terrific, and Houle was just average.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
RyanM said:
If you seen any of the Cape Breton/Gatineau series, you would probably change your mind. Tremblay was terrific, and Houle was just average.
Houle did have the flu at the start of that series. I had that same flu and was knocked out of action for a good amount of time. Your post does hold merit though, Houle needs to learn to step up and win big games for his team.

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
Tremblay had a very strong playoff and is a technically solid goalie who will sign a pro-contract if not with Philly or elsewhere. He could return to the Olympiques as a 20 year old. His name has been mentioned and Gatineau will have a strong team next year and even perhaps take a run at the Memorial Cup again.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
Philly will sign Beauchemin over any of their Q prospects. Dude has been unreal in the playoffs for P.A. .946 save percentage and a 1.40 GAA through 2 rounds. Won a big 2OT game in Medicine Hat to break the home ice advantage of the series. He's a man possessed.

Habdominal

Jun 14, 2003
Canada
Visit site
gabpas said:
Tremblay had a very strong playoff and is a technically solid goalie who will sign a pro-contract if not with Philly or elsewhere. He could return to the Olympiques as a 20 year old. His name has been mentioned and Gatineau will have a strong team next year and even perhaps take a run at the Memorial Cup again.

He wil definetly sign a pro contract somewhere. The problem I've seen with TRemblay is that you never know what version of him will be in net. I've seen him only 6 games now but he was shaky on 4 of those 6 times ang excellent on the other two.

His numbers seems to be good... but I still have high doubts on him(but could end up being decent 2nd stringer if he can cut the nights off :dunno: )

SkoulasOut4theSummer

Jan 2, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Eagles Houle called to AHL
Brad Rowe

SYDNEY – Martin Houle has made the jump to pro hockey sooner then expected.

The veteran goaltender for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles was called up by the Philadelphia Flyers and assigned to the Philadelphia Phantoms of the American Hockey League.

“This is great news,†Houle said from a Philadelphia hotel room. “My agent (Bob Perno) called me (Monday) morning and told me the Flyers wanted to bring me up.

The full story can be found at www.capebretonpost.com

Apparently he hasn't signed a ATO but it just hanging around and getting to know the fellas for next season, unless one Niittymaki or Little get injured.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gabpas said:

I wouldnt call swimming in his crease being technically solid.

He is rough around the edges but has some long term potential.

In the HFX/GAT series I found he was down way too early. Game 4 OT winner was because Tremblay was down and out.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
saskhab said:
Philly will sign Beauchemin over any of their Q prospects. Dude has been unreal in the playoffs for P.A. .946 save percentage and a 1.40 GAA through 2 rounds. Won a big 2OT game in Medicine Hat to break the home ice advantage of the series. He's a man possessed.

Just because they sign Rej doesnt mean they wont sign 1 or both of Houle and Tremblay.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
La-La-Laprise said:
Just because they sign Rej doesnt mean they wont sign 1 or both of Houle and Tremblay.

No, but they have 2 very good college goalies who were seniors this year in Bruckler and Grumet Morris. Houle has another year left, he'll probably go back as an O/A. Tremblay will have to beat some people out to make the Trenton Titans. He'll probably end up signing somewhere else to get a chance at an AHL contract.

gabpas

Jan 25, 2003
Aylmer
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
I wouldnt call swimming in his crease being technically solid.

He is rough around the edges but has some long term potential.

In the HFX/GAT series I found he was down way too early. Game 4 OT winner was because Tremblay was down and out.

One could attribute that to fatigue given that was the Olympiques 2nd overtime game in as many nights and that he probably faced a large number of shots. Tremblay does not have the habit of going down too early based on the 15-20 games I have seen him play. He is usually a pretty good stand-up goalie. He won the series for them against Cape Breton and given the young defense he had in front of him I thought he played well in the Halifax series.

I spoke to the Olymqiques goaltending coach earlier this year and in his opinion Tremblay is one of the strongest technical goalies in the league. His biggest challenge has been consistency this year. I would have to agree with you that he is rough around the edges. I was a little bit disappointed in how he let in the winning goal at the Memorial Cup. Although he can make unbelievable saves, I am not convinced if he will make the big save in the key moments. I am not sure how he will develop over the long term. He could make it to the NHL or never be more than an ECHL goalie all his life. He would likely benefit by playing as a 20 year old for the Olympiques next year.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
paxtang said:
No, but they have 2 very good college goalies who were seniors this year in Bruckler and Grumet Morris.

Both are often forgotten though I hear they're both solid goaltending prospects. Where do you see these two playing next year?

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
RuzickaFan23 said:
Both are often forgotten though I hear they're both solid goaltending prospects. Where do you see these two playing next year?

I think I'll wait for the camps to see how they do. It's hard to judge those two, for instance, Grumet-Morris was what, 23 this year? We'll know after the rookie camps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->