Rate these Goaltenders

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Okay, so I have a keeper pool and I took best player available in this years draft. For some reason, I ended up getting Shantz, Irving, Helenius. not in that order of course. I was wondering, of the goaltenders taken, in this years draft, who has the biggest upside? Obviously Bernier and Helenius and Irving are the top rated and Varlamov is up there too. Shantz is more of a dark horse imo. He kicked *** last year in the playoffs.

Okay, names to choose from...adding some players that weren't necissarly drafted this year...but were in our keeper draft. Rank them:

Pavelec
Pogge
Helenius
Irving
Shantz
Griess
F. Doyle
Bernier
Rinne
Levesseur

If you have an first hand info on some of them, let me know. I have watched Shantz play and liked what I saw. As for his potential...perhaps not as high as others. But could surprise. I understand the likes of Rinne and Pavelec are good tenders, but stuck behind top goaltenders.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Out of Irving, Bernier and Helenius from this years draft i'd say Bernier will be the better of the three. Irving has had an awesome start to the season as well, whilst last i heard Helenius was stuck behind Rask, but picked up an injury. I'd probably rank them Bernier, Irving and then Helenius.

Pogge is harshly treated on here because he is a leafs prospects, and lets face it ... it is complusory as a hockey fan to mock the leafs. IMO He'll be pretty solid down the road but i doubt he'll ever be a great goaltender. Solid starter, but they will regret trading Rask.

Shark fans seem to pretty high on Griess. I don't know too much about him though.

As for Shantz, i see him as a backup in the NHL. He is solid, but doesn't have the upside some of the other netminders on the list have.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Out of Irving, Bernier and Helenius from this years draft i'd say Bernier will be the better of the three. Irving has had an awesome start to the season as well, whilst last i heard Helenius was stuck behind Rask, but picked up an injury. I'd probably rank them Bernier, Irving and then Helenius.

Pogge is harshly treated on here because he is a leafs prospects, and lets face it ... it is complusory as a hockey fan to mock the leafs. IMO He'll be pretty solid down the road but i doubt he'll ever be a great goaltender. Solid starter, but they will regret trading Rask.

Shark fans seem to pretty high on Griess. I don't know too much about him though.

As for Shantz, i see him as a backup in the NHL. He is solid, but doesn't have the upside some of the other netminders on the list have.

Regret trading Rask..... Raycroft has been one of the best tendes in the NHL... Rask has proven absolutly nothing.... prolly one of the best trades that could have happened for toronto. they actually have a number 1 goalie.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Regret trading Rask..... Raycroft has been one of the best tendes in the NHL... Rask has proven absolutly nothing.... prolly one of the best trades that could have happened for toronto. they actually have a number 1 goalie.

To be honest, Rask is only 19 and is having a great season in a pro-league. I guess he has proven something.

Joretus

Otherwise I could agree, BUT saying Rask have proven nothing is just ****. He have proven he can play against pro men in age of 18-19 and being solid goalie every night in not so great team. Guy in that age against pros it's hardly "proven nothing". Or how could prospects outside NHL prove something? Was Kopitar proven nothing before coming to NHL, or Malkin, Or Ovechkin or Lehtonen(Kari that's)?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Raycroft isn't a guy i'd wanna base my goaltending on for years. Rask is a better prospect than Pogge and is arguably the best netminding prospect right now.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Raycroft isn't a guy i'd wanna base my goaltending on for years. Rask is a better prospect than Pogge and is arguably the best netminding prospect right now.

I dunno, Raycroft was good a few years ago. The question going into this year was which year was the real Raycroft, and TO fans like the answer.

That said, Rask is a killer prospect and better than Pogge IMO. Although, I have this nagging Cory Hirsch feeling from Pogge...

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I dunno, Raycroft was good a few years ago. The question going into this year was which year was the real Raycroft, and TO fans like the answer.

That said, Rask is a killer prospect and better than Pogge IMO. Although, I have this nagging Cory Hirsch feeling from Pogge...

Yeah, i suppose. I understand why Toronto did the trade and Raycroft has turned out well so far, but trading Rask was a mistake IMO.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Yeah, i suppose. I understand why Toronto did the trade and Raycroft has turned out well so far, but trading Rask was a mistake IMO.

Fair enough. His upside is big. But, it is still just upside from a trade perspective.

And for the record. I like Irving out of all the goalies listed. Then Rask. And then Bernier. And then I can't make up my mind with the rest.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I don't see Rask's name on that list, yet this has turned into a Rask thread...

I like him, though. He's my favorite goalie prospect out of Finland ever, maybe after Lehtonen, and I'm hoping he continues to develop...

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
If you would have READ his post he was talking about players in their keeper draft. OBVIOUSLY Adam Dennis was NOT in their keeper draft.

Well, after our draft...Dennis was still left, and three of us are London Knights season ticket holders...and we were like...oh crap, that Dennis is still kicking around for next years draft...thats going to burn us. Go Dennis!

Go Knights!

Grabner*

Meh who cares it's just one game. Pogge is still the most overrated prospect I've ever seen. Leafs missed out on Schneider big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad