Volpatti Loses

Winchester
Carcillo
Staubitz
Tootoo
Murray
Reeves

he didn't lose to Winchester

who cares he lays people out with big hits. The hits he makes are on top players who can score and defensemans who player 20mins a game.

why do i care if he wins fight and hurt plugs like:
Winchester
Carcillo
Staubitz
Tootoo
Reeves
Balesky
Garbutt

those guys play like 5 min a game and are useless.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
It makes tools like Bollig run around with impunity. Dont think for a minute that having guys willing to drop em, and actually fill a guy in doesnt stop the idiots from taking shots.

Look at this video of Sean Avery telling the flyers to keep Rinaldo in check, or else he was gonna go after Giroux.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E

This stuff happens ALL the time

Yeah but Weise was the tool that was running around with impunity. He hit Kruger first and Bollig reacted which got us a PP btw. I rather they react to us as oppose to we reacting to what their goon's do. We already have Volpatti and Weise for that so what's up?

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Fighting for its own sake is pointless but sometimes the other team crosses the line and dares you to do something about it, eg. Marchand speedbagging Daniel, Thornton repeatedly sticking his finger in Henrik's face. There has to be some push back in these cases.

This year's team is tougher than in the recent past but they can lapse back into a passive stance. Given the team's reputation, that can't happen too often. You can dispute the validity of that reputation but perception is important.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Fighting for its own sake is pointless but sometimes the other team crosses the line and dares you to do something about it, eg. Marchand speedbagging Daniel, Thornton repeatedly sticking his finger in Henrik's face. There has to be some push back in these cases.

This year's team is tougher than in the recent past but they can lapse back into a passive stance. Given the team's reputation, that can't happen too often. You can dispute the validity of that reputation but perception is important.

It think that is to blame on AV and his style and not on the types of players we have. AV usually punishes player for taking stupid penalties. Heck, fans want players to react to stuff like that, yet they get mad at the player when the opposition scores on the penalty the player caused.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
This team has earned itself the hatred of the rest of hockey trying to play to Gillis' vision of NHL competition. The "we'll take the powerplays" mentality has led to dead ends in the playoffs more than once.

I do not think the managerial intent has changed, but the team is evolving on it's own. The players recognize an element it takes to win, even though Gillis never did. On their own, unguided, they are finding the way to become a playoff team! Toughness and push back are elements of that.

We will know right away in the actual playoffs if they have done it. A good preview will be the third to last game against Chicago. Sadly, I don't think this assembly is real playoff material. There is no giant to clear the crease. There is no feared fourth liner. There is also a lot of littleness and softness in the forward group that will be pushed to the perimeter, so tough enough is part of that discussion, too.

I doubt Gillis recognizes it, (he missed 2010) but teams that gel and fight for each other are an opportunity to advance. Gillis is actually only a few little player moves from domination, but must overcome a giant ego issue. You see, he was a soft little when he was a player and he wants to prove to everyone that a small, skilled forward set can win it all. Hahahaha! So, its kind of moot because he will never admit it enough to add the very few (2, IMO) pieces he needs to go get the cup.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
This team has earned itself the hatred of the rest of hockey trying to play to Gillis' vision of NHL competition. The "we'll take the powerplays" mentality has led to dead ends in the playoffs more than once.

I do not think the managerial intent has changed, but the team is evolving on it's own. The players recognize an element it takes to win, even though Gillis never did. On their own, unguided, they are finding the way to become a playoff team! Toughness and push back are elements of that.

This is the same rant you were running with prior to the Hodgson trade. You would think after seeing Gillis bring in a beheamoth, nasty player in Kassian you would come in here and say you wee wrong about Gillis. Instead you just keep repeating it. Why?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Blackhawks, Kings and Sharks have all had their way with us recently.

Pardon. The Kings were not tougher in last year's playoffs bigger maybe. Penner Carter are Big. Clifford got knocked out early by a Bitz hit(suspension). The Sharks are tough in that two of their better players can fight but So SOFT. The Canucks are more physical. The Hawks throw the least hits in the NHL without looking at the Stats. In the first Hawks game in Vancouver Chicago had 6 hits the Sedins 5. They have almost zero toughness that plays i guess Carcillo is coming back. The Canucks hit a lot in important games. They even fight quite a bit now. There are probably some teams in the west slightly tougher but it is mariginal. Basically there is Boston then there is everyone else. Toughness and physicality is not a problem unless we get into a fight filled game with Boston. Vancouver even outhit Boston for many of the games in the final.
Question is Toronto tough. I guess there are. They have many fighters however if you looked who plays most of the game they are no where near tough.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It think that is to blame on AV and his style and not on the types of players we have. AV usually punishes player for taking stupid penalties. Heck, fans want players to react to stuff like that, yet they get mad at the player when the opposition scores on the penalty the player caused.

Never really understood this. He seems fine with the team's stupid penalties for the most part, but when it comes time to stand up for ourselves he won't have any of it? Strange. I'd rather us be killing off penalties for roughing and sticking up for each other instead of the hooking, tripping and embellishing.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
with Kassian in the top 9, our toughness is much better.

wouldnt' consider us a tough team. But enough.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Were top-4 in fights
Were 11th in the league in hits (yes subjective)

One of the toughest in the league? No
One of the best balances of skill/toughness? Absolutely

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Were top-4 in fights
Were 11th in the league in hits (yes subjective)

One of the toughest in the league? No
One of the best balances of skill/toughness? Absolutely

I'd rather see the team overall step it up a notch, rather than see it all fall on one guy, being Kassian.

Things like Henrik, allowing Joe Thornton to stick his finger in his face twice. First time, you push the hand away. Second time it happens, just slug the guy in the face.

Happy to see Kassian step in for Tanev. But, I'd personally rather see the team realize who the guy they are going after is. Rats like Tootoo are going to turtle when a big guy like Kassian comes onto the scene.

In today's game, if Kassian wants back at Tootoo, a stiff hard cross check to the ribs or back is the way to go. Sorry, if that sounds dirty, but that's what you have to do to guys who won't back it up. Hands to the face isn't much of a deterrant. Give the give a good hard cross check and let him know.

A guy like Clowe, for example, will drop his gloves and defend his actions. Guys like that you drop the gloves.

Steve Bennett*

For the playoffs I'd prefer Torres over Raymond, and Morrow over Booth. Not saying that those could be trades, but Raymond and Booth are at best streaky and at worst are playoff disappearance players...

A couple adjustments could completely change the playoff-needed toughness concern...

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Middle of the pack.

Wanna see a soft team?

:edmonton

Besides Eager, they got nobody. Jones has the hype of being physical, and so does Smid, but I don't see it.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
For the playoffs I'd prefer Torres over Raymond, and Morrow over Booth. Not saying that those could be trades, but Raymond and Booth are at best streaky and at worst are playoff disappearance players...

A couple adjustments could completely change the playoff-needed toughness concern...

These are good ideas. I agree only small changes are needed. Adding a player with grit and sitting a player without is all they need to do. Even then, they don't need to dress a tough line-up every game. The first games are always much chippier than the later games in a series. I think they need a hardnosed forward to play top six minutes. I envision Iginla from seven years ago, someone like that. LOL! Kassian might be the guy!

I seriously think the should bring up Vandermeer to see if he can play with this team. If he cannot then they need to go get a guy for that role. I am guessing Kassian draws Sedin line duty in select playoff games, dropping Burrows to the second and probably sitting Booth. Vandermeer takes the vacated fourth line spot and they might be good to go! If Vandermeer looks too slow or whatever, this needs to be known now, so that additions can be made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad