Rate the teams toughness

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
We knocked out Hossa....come on man. :sarcasm:

On a serious note, that to me, doesn't really define toughness.

Every time we finish a game against the Blackhawks, I feel like the Canucks come out looking like *****es. I don't think there's been a game since Game 7 where afterwards I felt like we got the better of them.

That's just me though :) If you feel like the Canucks are tougher, you're lucky, you probably live with less hockey related rage than I do :P

May 29, 2009
we're alright but i would like to have more in the sense of another gritty vet or two on the team for the playoffs. burish on the 4th, f'instance. someone mentioned douglas murray which i would be on in a hot minute.

i remember after bertuzzi emerged as a scorer it was implied by some media that brashear was traded because he had too much influence on bert. made him play too 'tough'. good times.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The thing I find stupid is, Chicago dominated us and SHOULD have lit us up-- We responded just fine to the Hansen stuff, but instead of complaining about needing more skill, fans want to increase toughness and pick up guys like Doug Murray, who would have been completely destroyed in his own end if he was out there.

May 29, 2009
oohh look how clever you are, you can call us stupid. you sexy beast.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Blackhawks, Kings and Sharks have all had their way with us recently.

Blackhawks? You kidding?
We run roughshod over them between the whistles. For a couple yrs now... Since gm 1 in 2011, the differences between the two teams in that department has been obvious.

The sharks and the kings are bigger teams... But tougher? Maybe.. same tier at least.

I also have a deeper application of the term toughness as it applies to hockey players/teams...

I.e. I consider the Sedins tough. As Linden recently said in an interview, the Sedins are not scared or intimidated by anyone in the league. They go out vs anyone and do their thing..
And think about where the Sedins have made a career operating.. along the boards. Can't do that for 900 gms without toughness, strength and balls.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Blackhawks? You kidding?
We run roughshod over them between the whistles. For a couple yrs now... Since gm 1 in 2011, the differences between the two teams in that department has been obvious.

The sharks and the kings are bigger teams... But tougher? Maybe.. same tier at least.

I also have a deeper application of the term toughness as it applies to hockey players/teams...

I.e. I consider the Sedins tough. As Linden recently said in an interview, the Sedins are not scared or intimidated by anyone in the league. They go out vs anyone and do their thing..
And think about where the Sedins have made a career operating.. along the boards. Can't do that for 900 gms without toughness, strength and balls.

When have the Canucks ever run roughshod over anyone between whistles? Is running roughshod the same as getting a facewash? If so, I see your point.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
When have the Canucks ever run roughshod over anyone between whistles? Is running roughshod the same as getting a facewash? If so, I see your point.

A lil hyperbole I suppose. We opened the 2011 by hitting them thru the boards... Weve had the physical edge on the Hawks since.. and it was on display last game as well... Not a dominance, but the edge we have on them in that department.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Well we could insert Alberts into the lineup over Tanev and Volpatti into the lineup over Higgins. That would improve team toughness.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
A lil hyperbole I suppose. We opened the 2011 by hitting them thru the boards... Weve had the physical edge on the Hawks since.. and it was on display last game as well... Not a dominance, but the edge we have on them in that department.

Pretty much. We were the much more physical team. Did everyone forget Booth crushing Keith and then another Blackhawk a second later? The physical battle in that game wasn't even close. It's the offensive and defensive battle that we lost.

We're not the most physical team in the league, but we can get by. We have enough fighters. They're certainly not the pushovers people try to paint them as.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
I have been a huge critic of our toughness in recent years but i'm quite pleased so far this season minus a few incidents like Backes running Luongo. The 4th line this year has done exactly what a 4th line should provide toughness energy and not be a liability. Thats been an area of weakness in recent seasons. Having Volpatti has been way better than soft bums like Oreskovich and Bolduc. If Jim Vandermeer ever sees any time with the big club that will be a huge boost for our toughness on the back end

The only problem I have right now is Kesler and Burrows are up to their usual crap, being greasy and starting fires that they can't put out. They always seem to be doing little cheap things to players which lead to scrums that their line mates have to get involved in. When the Sedins had Kassian on their line they didn't really get into any scrums and that has more to do with Kassian going about his own business after the whistles than it does with him being tough

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Well we could insert Alberts into the lineup over Tanev and Volpatti into the lineup over Higgins. That would improve team toughness.

no thanks Alberts sucks.... I rather have a reliable defenseman than this over rated "toughness". Albert's toughness just means more penalties for us. people need to understand there is a trade-off for everything. Alberts would get skate around like a pylon every shift against the Hawks speed/skill.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Every time we finish a game against the Blackhawks, I feel like the Canucks come out looking like *****es. I don't think there's been a game since Game 7 where afterwards I felt like we got the better of them.

That's just me though :) If you feel like the Canucks are tougher, you're lucky, you probably live with less hockey related rage than I do :P
u must be watching a different game than every one else. We out hit them by a large margin and we "injured" Hossa.

What is your definition of toughness? that we act like goons and get useless players like Horidicuk and get roughing penalties that hurt the team every whistle?? Or what fights>?? You want more fights where we win?? this aint' UFC. HITTING > unnecessary roughness. We have Lappy and Burrows for that but it doesn't help IMO.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
we are in the bottom half of teams in the league in this category. I would rather be skilled than tough tho.

I've heard players in interviews from opposing teams kinda mock the canucks about talking a lot, but never backing it up. That part of it is a little embarrassing, also when our goalies get run, or Sedins/burrows gets drilled, we dont answer.

Whens the last time Weiss/Volpati won a fight?

Kassian wont fight, neither will Bieksa.

Pseudonymous*

we are in the bottom half of teams in the league in this category. I would rather be skilled than tough tho.

I've heard players in interviews from opposing teams kinda mock the canucks about talking a lot, but never backing it up. That part of it is a little embarrassing, also when our goalies get run, or Sedins/burrows gets drilled, we dont answer.

volpatti wins way more than loses, and he takes on bigger guys alot too

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

please tell me how winning fights will win us games? most the time the people fighting are 4th plugs vs 4th plugs so why does it even matter? How is winning a fight against a useless player like Bollig going to cause less 2 on 1's and breakaways. Must of these fights ends in draws anyways, it is really rare to see a decisive win.

If you want a team like Vityaz Chekhov. They were the biggest joke.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
LOL, ummmmm no he doesnt.

HockeyFights.com has him 3 wins out of 9 fights in the last 2 years.

Not sure how you got 'Wins way more than he loses' out of that??:shakehead

I think I'll draw my own conclusions rather than poll results of meatheaded mouthbreathers. Especially in a culture where a "takedown" is part of a hockey fight.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
please tell me how winning fights will win us games? most the time the people fighting are 4th plugs vs 4th plugs so why does it even matter? How is winning a fight against a useless player like Bollig going to cause less 2 on 1's and breakaways. Must of these fights ends in draws anyways, it is really rare to see a decisive win.

If you want a team like Vityaz Chekhov. They were the biggest joke.

It makes tools like Bollig run around with impunity. Dont think for a minute that having guys willing to drop em, and actually fill a guy in doesnt stop the idiots from taking shots.

Look at this video of Sean Avery telling the flyers to keep Rinaldo in check, or else he was gonna go after Giroux.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rGud48R5E

This stuff happens ALL the time

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think I'll draw my own conclusions rather than poll results of meatheaded mouthbreathers. Especially in a culture where a "takedown" is part of a hockey fight.

actually we would be lucky to use those stats. There are more Canucks fans voting on these fights then those of oppositions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad