Rate the Pipeline

What's Your Grade?

• Total voters

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’d really only go a C+ or B-. Bouchard is a blue chipper but it’s not a guarantee he will be able to play in all situations. Broberg is a huge bundle of potential but he’s very raw and has lots of slippery road to drive without hitting the ditch. Samorukov and Lagesson have covered their bets, but they are still long shots to have meaningful NHL careers. Holloway has a lot of potential but it remains to be seen if he brings enough offense for the top 6. Lavoie has potential but doesn’t stand out much from 100 other forward prospects scattered across the league. Everyone else is somewhat dime-a-dozen and our goalies could be described as more suspect than prospect.

I went with a B but agree with a lot of what you say.

Bouchard imo is as blue chip as a prospect can get and elevates the group. Our defense, even excluding very recent graduates, is a group any other nhl team would envy.

Not sure how anyone could give an A tho. Our forwards are just too unproven. Benson has fallen back a fair bit from his promising rookie ahl year leaving us with only guys with potential to be nhlers. A fair bit of forwards I like but no sure things or anyone with the kind of potential Bouchard has on defense.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
B- because fans and home media always overrate home drafted talent. Most of the players that we fawn over wont be nearly as good as we think they will be, but will be decent enough players in due course.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I think Benson could be a fairly effective third line winger. He's very smart, defensively responsible and is good on the boards. He just needs to improve his skating.

Some people who have watched him overseas says he looks fairly fast this year. Let’s see how this translates to the NHL

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oil are finally building a reasonable pipeline. I rate the current system as a B while tiering their prospects:

A. Broberg, Bouchard, Holloway (A/B tweaner)

B. Samorukov, McCloud, Benson, Lavoie

C. Savoie, Kesselring, Kemp

D. Lots of question marks follow

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I gave us a B-

We are building a pretty good stable of talent with a collection of players who should be able to make the NHL. A lack of blue chippers at forward keeps my rating lower.

A- on D with Broberg, Bouchard, Samorukov leading the way.

C+ on forward. I like McLeod. Lavoie and Benson but non truly project as impact players at the next level. Holloway could be a good option in the future in a top 6 role.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
A --Projectable No. one D prospects. We dont have any.

B -- No. 2 or Quality No. 3. Bouchard, Jones, Broberg on potential.

C -- No. 4 or Quality No. 5. Sammy, possibly Berglund

D --Bottom pair potential. Solid guys. Lagesson,

then theres the who the hell knows....Kemp, kess, etc.

Forwards...

A-- we have none
B-- Holloway on potential. Has his problems but is good bet to play.
C--maybe Mcleod ...
D-- Benson, Lavoie, maybe Savoie. Forwards with a serious flaw or flaws they must overcome to play in the show.

So to conclude our D prospects rate fairly high at about a -B, our foward prospects outside of Holloway who has a lot of work to do really sucks as a pipeline...D+

So rated together with the D having numbers ....a C+

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
B

Bouchard and Broberg are top prospects (should be given where they were drafted, both have done well post draft)
Holloway/Samkourouv are pretty solid prospects with high upside
Lavoie/Benson/McLeod/etc are good prospects, but nothing special

Top heavy prospect pool, ok depth. Probably 12-15 in the NHL

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
B

Bouchard and Broberg are top prospects (should be given where they were drafted, both have done well post draft)
Holloway/Samkourouv are pretty solid prospects with high upside
Lavoie/Benson/McLeod/etc are good prospects, but nothing special

Top heavy prospect pool, ok depth. Probably 12-15 in the NHL

*Carter Savoie has entered the chat*

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
WHen was the last time Edmonton could deveclope a forward prospect drated past the first round to a constructive player?

Well, like 15 years ago. It has been terrible.
I dont know if Benson and McLeod would be the answers to that either.
It would be sweet, but It doesnt look like this right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad