Rate the Pipeline

What's Your Grade?

• Total voters

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Gave it a B because I think we have several players that will absolutely play in the top half of the lineup but not an A because I don't see any surefire star players in the mix. The good news is, based on prospects already in the organization, I can see the grade turning into an A and see no chance of it falling to a C. We sit comfortably in the top third of the league with our current prospect pool.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
B, simply because outside of this last draft + Lavoie and McLeod, we don't have much up front in the pipeline unless Benson takes the next step. On D we are loaded which really helps to push the grade up. Hell, if Savoie keeps his hot start rolling, who knows what his upside may be?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
B, simply because outside of this last draft + Lavoie and McLeod, we don't have much up front in the pipeline unless Benson takes the next step. On D we are loaded which really helps to push the grade up. Hell, if Savoie keeps his hot start rolling, who knows what his upside may be?
This. Also the lack of any sort of high end goalie prospect in the system is a huge weakness. Konovalov seems to be decent but he’s not a high end prospect.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Our forwards were meh until the additions this past draft.

Samorukov would be the top D prospect on at least 10 if not 15+ other NHL teams. He's third on the Oilers and still has to leapfrog Caleb Jones or Lagesson for a spot.

Our goalies. All of them. Are underwhelming. Our AHL goalie prospects won't even be NHL backups.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I gave it an A- becuase the players they have fit very well with what they need. Terrific young defensemen which bodes very well becuase these sorts of players also have trade value as they mature. It would be ease to downgade the pool becuase of teh lack of elite forwards but that is not really what they need. They need cheap complementary players who can do certain things.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
B, I dont see any superstars at forward or defense, but I see alot of solid depth helping this club out in the future.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Im gonna piss some people off here but I think its time for Benson to show up or ship out. Im actually up for packaging the player along with a pick for a proven goal scorer for McDaddy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Our forwards were meh until the additions this past draft.

Samorukov would be the top D prospect on at least 10 if not 15+ other NHL teams. He's third on the Oilers and still has to leapfrog Caleb Jones or Lagesson for a spot.

Our goalies. All of them. Are underwhelming. Our AHL goalie prospects won't even be NHL backups.

This isn't true, it's not a particularly strong group but Konovalov has showed well thus far in his career. I also disagree that Samorukov would be the top D prospect on any team (maaaybe a few), never mind 10-15 and I really like Samorukov.

I'd give the pipeline a solid B. It's improving and I think there's a lot of quality but what knocks it down a bit is the lack of a true elite prospect which is fine because the Oilers already have elite talent on the big club. I do wish they had an elite D prospect like Seider for instance, damn that kid is good.
I really liked the 2020 draft though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I tend never to include goalies in the assessment other than as a bonus if there is a top end one. They are just too much of a crap shoot.

Unless of course we draft them, in which case far more often than not, they are just crap :)

Im gonna piss some people off here but I think its time for Benson to show up or ship out. Im actually up for packaging the player along with a pick for a proven goal scorer for McDaddy

I tend to agree, this is a huge season for him. I love his story, him being a local product and everything, but at some point he has to show that he is a NHL player. Hopefully he comes into camp and shines. If he doesn't solidify a spot by mid season his trade value is likely very minimal.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’d really only go a C+ or B-. Bouchard is a blue chipper but it’s not a guarantee he will be able to play in all situations. Broberg is a huge bundle of potential but he’s very raw and has lots of slippery road to drive without hitting the ditch. Samorukov and Lagesson have covered their bets, but they are still long shots to have meaningful NHL careers. Holloway has a lot of potential but it remains to be seen if he brings enough offense for the top 6. Lavoie has potential but doesn’t stand out much from 100 other forward prospects scattered across the league. Everyone else is somewhat dime-a-dozen and our goalies could be described as more suspect than prospect.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Unless of course we draft them, in which case far more often than not, they are just crap :)

I tend to agree, this is a huge season for him. I love his story, him being a local product and everything, but at some point he has to show that he is a NHL player. Hopefully he comes into camp and shines. If he doesn't solidify a spot by mid season his trade value is likely very minimal.
Given how thin our forward prospects are, he ought to get at least a couple looks before an ultimatum. I personally don’t think he skates enough to be a player, but I didn’t think Kailer Yamamoto did either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’d really only go a C+ or B-. Bouchard is a blue chipper but it’s not a guarantee he will be able to play in all situations. Broberg is a huge bundle of potential but he’s very raw and has lots of slippery road to drive without hitting the ditch. Samorukov and Lagesson have covered their bets, but they are still long shots to have meaningful NHL careers. Holloway has a lot of potential but it remains to be seen if he brings enough offense for the top 6. Lavoie has potential but doesn’t stand out much from 100 other forward prospects scattered across the league. Everyone else is somewhat dime-a-dozen and our goalies could be described as more suspect than prospect.

IMO lumping Samorukov and Lagesson together is a disservice to Samorukov.

Reactions: Llamamoto and North

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Given how thin our forward prospects are, he ought to get at least a couple looks before an ultimatum. I personally don’t think he skates enough to be a player, but I didn’t think Kailer Yamamoto did either.

This is his last season of waiver exemption and we are a deeper team on the wings than we have been in recent years. He is in an uphill battle which means that he will have to win a spot from someone like Ennis or come up when injury hits and make his case to be a part of this team going forward.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

yes, hopefully he is the story of the camp. He is not designed for a bottom 6 role. Going back to that draft, Debrincat or Hart would have been nice picks in that slot .
I’m very happy Holland is running the ship now. I found before our scouts were influenced by the WHL and it cost us dearly. I brought that up here before but there would be people complaining they didn’t want any players drafted from the QMJHL because they called them soft players.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I feel our D depth in the pipeline is the best in the league and although we aren't as strong in forwards or goaltending i still think the team is well suited for the future.

In all fairness to the Oilers, if we were very strong in all positions it means we are probably still a basement team unable to win and collecting draft picks. (see Ottawa/Los Angeles)

A-.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
yes, hopefully he is the story of the camp. He is not designed for a bottom 6 role. Going back to that draft, Debrincat or Hart would have been nice picks in that slot .
I’m very happy Holland is running the ship now. I found before our scouts were influenced by the WHL and it cost us dearly. I brought that up here before but there would be people complaining they didn’t want any players drafted from the QMJHL because they called them soft players.
I think Benson could be a fairly effective third line winger. He's very smart, defensively responsible and is good on the boards. He just needs to improve his skating.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd say probably somewhere around a B.

Lots of potential middle/bottom six and second/third pairing guys. Not quite enough high-end upside. Especially at forward.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
B

I don’t think they have a stud prospect, or even a top line prospect.

But I think a bunch who will certainly play in the NHL at some point, and have potential for Top 6/Top 4 minutes.

Bouchard/Broberg are the only potential game changers I see, and the safer bet on them would to be second pair guys

A fine prospect pool considering they have 2 Hart winners at 25 and 23 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: McDNicks17

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I feel our D depth in the pipeline is the best in the league and although we aren't as strong in forwards or goaltending i still think the team is well suited for the future.

In all fairness to the Oilers, if we were very strong in all positions it means we are probably still a basement team unable to win and collecting draft picks. (see Ottawa/Los Angeles)

A-.
I'd only give an A to a prospect pool that fits the team's needs like a glove and will push it to the next level. "Depth" is a bit overrated

If you have a great prospect pool that will give you assets to play with, that's a B. That's us imo.

Props however, to Holloway and Bouchard. Both fit our team's needs like a glove. I'm assuming Barrie is only here temporarily and that Klefbom will return. Also, I'm doubting that Turris is a long term answer at 3C

But for everyone else, our excellent depth is mostly just good to replace what we have already or open up for trades.

Our needs are goalie (our org has been negligent in this), #1 D (Broberg, Bouchard seem more like great #2 or 3 level), and 3C (banking on some players making huge strides to reach this level)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad