Rate The NHL On VERSUS: Year 2

USF Shark

Zôion politikòn
Aug 19, 2005
DC Area
so far so good...:banana:

I actually just found something that i think is tacky....when they go to commercial and they show the scores, it includes the website for VERSUS, I dunno, but that just seemed to annoy me.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Solid opening night all around. In studio was strong, game was a good one and the commentators were excellent. All I can say is Mike Emrick: :cheers:

bluef0x*

Much better than last year, but actual game footage is lacking IMO.

The cameramen are snapping all over the place WAYYYY too fast and VS. hardly shows important replays. Not to mention they will stick on Staal heading to the bench instead of showing Cole trying to rough up some Sabre.

Presentation and everything = A+
Gametime = C- more replays, less snapping. Learn to follow the puck. Not to mention a stupid banner pops up on the bottom of the screen every minute, move it to the top so we can still follow the game.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Someone needs to keep count how many times Joe Beninati mentions the Washington Capitals or something related to the caps this game. :snide:

bluef0x*

They also called Paul Stastny "Yan."

"How will Yan Stastny do in his first game tonight?"

bluef0x*

The mics on the ice are awesome... the sad thing is they won't air any of it. They should turn it up ;)

Falloooooon

Nov 11, 2004
I have bashed Reaugh when given the chance on this board, but I thought he was really good tonight. One game into the season, he is leader in the clubhouse for best game analyst.

Tonight reminded me of my biggest pet peeve with Versus, however. When they show highlight packages of games, they almost always only show the goals. They have time to tell more of the story of a game with the highlights they show.

When they showed highilghts of DAL-COL after the game, they only showed the goals, which was ridiculous. Someone who missed the game would have no idea how the game played out. Versus should have done more to establish that COL controlled the game for two periods and shown how the third was a complete reversal.

There is much more to hockey than the handful of goals that happen, but I don't know if many of the people with the network know that.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't listen to Olczyk so I put on the Leafs game...

The scoreboard would be better if i could actually see the clock.

other than that it's good

Frek

Dec 2, 2005
PSL, Florida
I personally thought that it was vastly improved from last year. Everything had a much more professonial look to it. What I really noticed is that a lot of the technical glitches that were apparent from last year weren't there. (by that I mean the bad timing from commercial breaks, a few seconds delay when going back to live feed, replays not showing what the commetators were talking about etc etc)

I don't know if they hired some new people or what happened but I noticed a dramatic improvement from last year.

Also I watched the HD feed on directv 95. It looked alot better than their HD feeds from last year.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
The NHL On VERSUS Up 14% from Last Season

From the Globe & Mail:

For its NHL opener (Buffalo Sabres-Carolina Hurricanes), the U.S. cable channel Versus, formerly called OLN, had a rating of 0.32 (percentage of U.S. cable households watching the game). That's an increase of 14 per cent over last year's Philadelphia Flyers-New York Rangers opener.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't forget the fact that some cable carriers that have VS now did not have OLN last year

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Still quite smallish. The SCF ratings last year were a bit more encouraging. I hope one day NBC does the season opener. Its a shame that they wait so long until they start showing hockey.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Still, we're talking Carolina vs. Buffalo against NYR-Philly. The fact that it was up has a lot to do with increased interest and exclusive coverage windows.

You may forget but OLN offered their station free to every cable company in the US on opening night last year.

sensfaninsarasota

Oct 7, 2006
the rating is so low, 14 percent of nothing is still just that. You can barely find versus (or whatever its called this week) in Florida

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
As others have said, that's mostly due to an increase in households that carry Vs. I didn't get it until the third or fourth week of the season. If it was a 14% increase over the average rating last year it would be more encouraging.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
It's a huge increase. The Rangers-Flyers game was the highest rated game of the regular season for OLN. The rest was down around a .1 or .2

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
What does the "exclusive game coverage" mean with Versus-

how does that affect Center Ice coverage of other games that are playing that night? Do you still get to see the other games if they are broadcast say on Fox regional stations or whatever or does this mean there are no other games to see except just that one game- sure hope not.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Exclusive game coverage means that no other game in the US is aired on tv during the 2 hour timeframe of the versus game. It's like Sunday night baseball. As for Center Ice I'm not sure how it affects. I'm sure the rare US game (there only is 1 or 2) that is on at the same time won't be on it because it won't be aired regionally and thus no feed to pickup. The Canadian games may be apart of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->