OT: Rate the last movie you watched out of 10 AKA The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Knives Out

9/10

I was really loving Chris Evans acting in the final act, I appreciate him in snowpiercer and of course, the marvel movies, but he showed really nice range here. The way the movie was paced was great too because you don’t see much of him and then all of a sudden he’s a central piece. Plummer warm and dynamic as always.

The supporting cast and main protagonist all did really well in their roles, Ana de Armas particularly stood out

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
was it the gore?

No I love a bit of gore. I watched it on release so I can't remember specifics but I just remember not being impressed. Isn't there one part where Andrew Garfield's character volleys a grenade soccer style back to the Japanese?
Just wasn't for me.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Watched Cast Away on demand today for the first time in forever.

Excellent movie.

10/10

Watched that aswell recently. There aren't many actors who could hold your attention completely alone on screen for well over an hour and also keep you on their side.
Great job by Hanks.

9/10

Reactions: hrdpuk

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Watched that aswell recently. There aren't many actors who could hold your attention completely alone on screen for well over an hour and also keep you on their side.
Great job by Hanks.

9/10

I didn't like Cast Away as much as I thought I would, although it's been so long I don't remember why now. I just know I've only seen it once and don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My favorite Hanks movie is Apollo 13 although it doesn't have a lot to do with his acting lol.

A League of Their Own is second. Edit: Oh! Wait. You've Got Mail is second. League is third.

He did well in Big. You don't hear about that one much since it's from his earlier days.

Of course, I remember him on Bosom Buddies, so.... :wally::help:

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of his most recent movies the last few years.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I didn't like Cast Away as much as I thought I would, although it's been so long I don't remember why now. I just know I've only seen it once and don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My favorite Hanks movie is Apollo 13 although it doesn't have a lot to do with his acting lol.

A League of Their Own is second. Edit: Oh! Wait. You've Got Mail is second. League is third.

He did well in Big. You don't hear about that one much since it's from his earlier days.

Of course, I remember him on Bosom Buddies, so.... :wally::help:

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of his most recent movies the last few years.

Bosom Buddies was great!

First time I ever saw Holland Taylor in a role.

From League of their own:

Gina Davis: Ever been married?

Hanks: Twice.

Davis: Any kids?

Hanks: Yeah, one of 'em was.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
1917 - Need to see it again. At times excellent, but not entirely what I wanted or expected. Good film, but not the most memorable overall, outside of a few scenes. Definitely one of the more realistic and quality war films since Saving Private Ryan, though. For now until a rewatch, 8/10

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
No I love a bit of gore. I watched it on release so I can't remember specifics but I just remember not being impressed. Isn't there one part where Andrew Garfield's character volleys a grenade soccer style back to the Japanese?
Just wasn't for me.

yes, at one point he soccer kicks a grenade. It is based on a true story and he was wounded by a grenade - Hollywood may have ‘enhanced’ that scene a bit.

Most movies have things in then that probably don’t pass the sniff test.

I was having a bad night last week when i tuned in and this movie highly entertained me. A 10 was probably high, but it was probably an 8.

Reactions: Mr Irish

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
1917 - Need to see it again. At times excellent, but not entirely what I wanted or expected. Good film, but not the most memorable overall, outside of a few scenes. Definitely one of the more realistic and quality war films since Saving Private Ryan, though. For now until a rewatch, 8/10

I loved 1917.

The fact that it was all one giant continuous shot was incredible.

Reactions: Mathews28

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bosom Buddies was great!

First time I ever saw Holland Taylor in a role.

From League of their own:

Gina Davis: Ever been married?

Hanks: Twice.

Davis: Any kids?

Hanks: Yeah, one of 'em was.

So many good quotes in that movie.

"'This is our daughter Dottie. And this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister.'" :laugh:

"See, the way it works is, the train moves, not the station."

e2b12eb2b2367b54c1497312cc43842e.png

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.
Knives Out

9/10

I was really loving Chris Evans acting in the final act, I appreciate him in snowpiercer and of course, the marvel movies, but he showed really nice range here. The way the movie was paced was great too because you don’t see much of him and then all of a sudden he’s a central piece. Plummer warm and dynamic as always.

The supporting cast and main protagonist all did really well in their roles, Ana de Armas particularly stood out
You had me at Ana de Armas

Reactions: wintersej

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Pet Sematary remake 5/10

Rise of Skywalker 8/10 (liked it better the second time)

Watched the Atlanta Child Murders series as well and it's just infuriating what this country is capable of doing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sinister a masterpiece IMO... A classic. Sinister 2 was creepy but not as good... Chernobyl Diaries was indeed terrible lol

I do at least like that they changed things up in sinister 2, it made it different from a lot of sequels. Just wasn’t as into it. That first one like you said was fantastic, especially for the genre

I laughed at the end of Chernobyl diaries. Don’t think that’s what they were going for

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Dog movies:

Hachi: When I first started watching it, I was thinking it had no plot whatsoever. By the end I was blubbering uncontrollably.

Togo: Never thought I'd like Willem Dafoe in anything but he was fantastic in this.

Marley and Me: Evidently I like to make myself cry.

Eight Below: You can't leave them behind! Poor Old Jack. :(

Lassie movies: there are several, I'm thinking of the one with Elizabeth Taylor. I'm a sucker for them because we had a collie that was actually from the Lassie movie dog bloodline. He was beautiful but not exactly "Lassie smart" :laugh:

I will pretty much watch any movie that centers around dogs. I even cried at Air Bud when the kid tries to get the dog to leave him lol

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Parasite 7/10 - the socio-economic commentary is a bit too on the nose, but it has some fun twists and the characters are easy to root for

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I do at least like that they changed things up in sinister 2, it made it different from a lot of sequels. Just wasn’t as into it. That first one like you said was fantastic, especially for the genre

I laughed at the end of Chernobyl diaries. Don’t think that’s what they were going for

just watched the trailer. I’ll pick a spot for watching that. It won’t be later at night alone. Eff that.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
just watched the trailer. I’ll pick a spot for watching that. It won’t be later at night alone. Eff that.

I highly recommend sinister but yeah, it’s something you have to be in the mood for or else you’re just gonna have a pit in your stomach after watching that movie. It’s f***ed up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad