OT: Rate the last movie you watched out of 10 AKA The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Mr Right

i like tim Roth. I like Sam Rockwell. I love Anna Kendrick. Put them together in a romcom of sorts where they play hit men...sign me up. This was different, clever, and just a fun watch. 7/10

the impossible

starring Naomi Watts, Ewan Mcgregor, and what looked to me like a 10 year old Tom Holland (had to Google after and i think somehow he was actually 16!). Family goes to Thailand. tsunami wrecks Thailand. Everyone struggles. I had never heard of this somehow but I’m glad Netflix thought I would like it. Netflix was correct. Extremely well acted and powerful. 8/10

Reactions: HustleB

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Mr Right

i like tim Roth. I like Sam Rockwell. I love Anna Kendrick. Put them together in a romcom of sorts where they play hit men...sign me up. This was different, clever, and just a fun watch. 7/10

the impossible

starring Naomi Watts, Ewan Mcgregor, and what looked to me like a 10 year old Tom Holland (had to Google after and i think somehow he was actually 16!). Family goes to Thailand. tsunami wrecks Thailand. Everyone struggles. I had never heard of this somehow but I’m glad Netflix thought I would like it. Netflix was correct. Extremely well acted and powerful. 8/10

I'm a big fan of Roth too. Haven't seen this one yet.

Ever see Deceiver?

Excellent cast and performances all around with Roth, Chris Penn, Renee Zellweger, Michael Rooker and Ellen Burstyn.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm a big fan of Roth too. Haven't seen this one yet.

Ever see Deceiver?

Excellent cast and performances all around with Roth, Chris Penn, Renee Zellweger, Michael Rooker and Ellen Burstyn.

have not seen that but hell of a cast!

admittedly, Roth plays a secondary role at best. But it’s still Tim Roth and for a romcom i found it to be quite entertaining and even fairly light on the cheese.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Watched 13th last night with my 13 year old and it was really well done. This documentary about the prison system in America and its exponential growth since the 60s. This also largely addresses the impact of this growth on Black and Latino communities.

I give it 8.5 out of 10.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
That’s really disappointing. I loved the first one, really liked the second and had hopes for the third. Same writer/director (Salva) I believe.

they made the creeper like invincible. This one scene a police unit that was made specifically for the creeper is driving straight at them with a Vulcan Machine gun and all the bullets bounce off the creeper truck. Later the supposed main hero or the guy u think is the hero is shooting the creeper with that same Vulcan cannon like 15-20 massive bullets going thru the creeper and nothing happens to him.

acting is horrible too.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Cop Car

Kids make off with Sheriff Kevin Bacons cruiser. Bad shit starts to happen. The tension is developed a little too slow, and the use of purposely uncomfortable moments with ZERO consequence pissed me off. I was glued to the screen for the last half hour though.

And then the ending TOTALLY RUINS EVERYTHING.

4/10

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Just saw The King Of Staten Island.

It was 2 hours and 14 minutes to "get there" and I'm not sure it was worth it.

I laughed twice and once was in the last minute.

6.5/10

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
9CB5997F-DDE8-400D-B243-05050403FCCF.jpeg

Never saw this until today. Hilarious

Lea Thompson daughter is pretty too

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
We Summon the Darkness

i wanted to like it. Truly. Alexandra Daddarrio (sp?) is quite easy on the eyes if nothing else in this film. Three women meet three men at a black metal show. There’s been a string of murders recently and yeah some bad stuff goes down. Johnny Knoxville half asses a cameo. But yeah the babe factor is strong here.

4/10

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Melvin Goes to Dinner

a dude meets an old friend and two acquaintances for dinner. Conversation starts and ends. A little bit of back story on each of the four characters. A couple cameos, David Cross, Jack Black, I think two others but I forget. It’s beautifully acted and I’m pretty sure the Progressive lady is one of the lead roles. They talk about everything, the banal and the thought provoking. Some a little uncomfortable at times.

6/10

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Tenet 3/10. I've seen all of Nolan's films except Insomnia and liked them all to one degree or another - I'm a big fan of his work. But I found Tenet downright awful. It gets points for looking great and being very well shot, the acting is fine and the central idea is original and interesting enough, but IMO the plotting and characterization are beyond poor and the sound mixing and score are unforgivably bad. The best way I can describe is it that Nolan took the few weak points from his other films and shoved them all together into this one then amplified the negative effects. It also blatantly rips off The Night Manager and shoves that fact in your face by casting the admittedly talented Elizabeth Debicki in the exact same role she played in that series.

I'm sure some people loved or will love this because it's slick, different and at least trying to be very clever, but it just doesn't do it for me and given the critical response to the film, Nolan's probably lucky in a way that it came out in 2020 when everyone was distracted by more important things and this piece will largely be forgotten. Every great director is allowed one bomb, and hopefully this is it for him.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Melvin Goes to Dinner

a dude meets an old friend and two acquaintances for dinner. Conversation starts and ends. A little bit of back story on each of the four characters. A couple cameos, David Cross, Jack Black, I think two others but I forget. It’s beautifully acted and I’m pretty sure the Progressive lady is one of the lead roles. They talk about everything, the banal and the thought provoking. Some a little uncomfortable at times.

6/10

Sounds like My Dinner with Andre but with more people.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The Endless

labeled as a death cult movie, and turns out to be something far better. Two brothers visit a community they were part of as kids... I don’t even wanna give anything else away but it’s damn creative.

7/10

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not a movie but started The Queen's Gambit, and I am hooked. Definite must watch for those that have Netflix.
on my list, just finishing the final season of Bloodline which we have found entertaining and tragic at the same time

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
been on a rockumentary kind of roll lately, watched Hired Gun, all about musicians who are literally hired to be sessions players or musicians who head out with big artists on tour, amazing behind the scenes stuff. While I always knew this, it really shows how much of an Asshat Billy Joel was to those around him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad