OT: Rate the last movie you watched out of 10 AKA The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
All the Money in the World

7/10

I know this goes against the Massachusetts in me, but I have a hard time taking Mark Wahlberg seriously. The movie itself was relatively interesting, as I actually didn’t know the story. For those who don’t know, it’s about the kidnapping of J. Paul Getty’s grandson in the 70s for ransom.

The visual production is over glamorized IMO, making it appear more as a fantasy story rather than something that really happened. Character development also wasn’t the best.

There were some very good scenes, but given the story, I thought a lot more could have been done to make the movie better.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
paddington 2 with my daughter.
no joke. prob tbe best movie ive seen in at least a couple years.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good Boys 6/10- it is what it is, a super light comedy which provides some easy laughs which was a nice break as we have been watching and now finished the series Rectify which wasn`t/isn`t a movie but was intense, filled us both with tons of emotion

If anyone is looking for an exceptionally well written story I recommend it but be warned, it isn`t a fast paced series, wasn`t meant to be

Reactions: KiwiBruin and lopey

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I watched the Korean film Old Boy a few days ago. If you can find it with English subtitles, that's the way to go. You get used to them after about 5-10 minutes. The film is beautifully shot, and the story unfolds so well. The ending is just... insane. 10/10. Best movie I've seen in many years.

If you enjoyed that, then you should watch the other two films that are part of the "Vengeance" trilogy: Lady Vengeance and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. They are also excellent (although Old Boy was the best of the three).

Reactions: armydoc19

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
My gal and I watched the Japanese film "Midnight Diner" on Saturday and loved it. 9/10. (It's based on a Japanese TV series of the same name about a cook who runs a small diner that's open only from midnight to 7 a.m. His special service is that he will make the customers anything they want, as long as he has the ingredients.)

It's a beautiful, understated show, showing a funny, sometimes bittersweet, slice of life in Tokyo. Two seasons of Midnight Diner, the TV show, are available on Netflix and come highly recommended!

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The first two Mission Impossible a were on yesterday. Huge fan of the franchise, especially the newer ones.

Mission Impossible
I've loved this movie since I saw it as a kid when it came out. It's just a solid movie that keeps you guessing the first time you see it.

8/10

MI2

The worst of the MI franchise, and it's not really even close. Plot is fine, but John Woo did too many John Woo things in this movie, and it just feels super cheese.

4/10

Reactions: hrdpuk

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
The first two Mission Impossible a were on yesterday. Huge fan of the franchise, especially the newer ones.

Mission Impossible
I've loved this movie since I saw it as a kid when it came out. It's just a solid movie that keeps you guessing the first time you see it.

8/10

MI2

The worst of the MI franchise, and it's not really even close. Plot is fine, but John Woo did too many John Woo things in this movie, and it just feels super cheese.

4/10
Ghost Protocol is excellent, and my favorite installment.

Mine is Extraction. 6/10

Fun, but ultimately forgettable action flick. The car chase scene in this movie is a show stopper though, terrifically shot. Best part of the movie for me.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Finally saw Hacksaw Ridge, I’d give it a 10/10.

I also watched Se7en again. Morgan Freeman is great and I’d give that a 10/10 also...

Reactions: TCB

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Current War, with Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon and Nicholas Hoult. Really solid film about a pivotal but not that well-known piece of history. Mostly historically accurate, and extra marks for excellent cinematography and a gorgeous score.

8/10.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ghost Protocol is excellent, and my favorite installment.

Mine is Extraction. 6/10

Fun, but ultimately forgettable action flick. The car chase scene in this movie is a show stopper though, terrifically shot. Best part of the movie for me.
Yeah the whole story line starting with Ghost Protocol that carries over into the next iteration is nice. Much like waht the Daniel Craig Bond films have been doing as well.

Reactions: DiggityDog

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The most recent movie I watched, albeit not completely (for what will be self evident reasons), was the 1981 cult movie Roar. And Jesus Christ in heaven, where to begin with this damn thing?

This movie is violent and graphic as all hell, to the point that it verges into arguably being labeled as a borderline snuff film. For those out of the loop, Roar is essentially Grizzly Man before Grizzly Man that took 8 years to make. Primarily because the person who made, directed, and starred in the film Noel Marshall used untamed animals such as lions, tigers, panthers, and jaguars that he owned for the movie and had the entire cast film with these unpredictable, carnivorous predators in a fenced in nature preserve.

To say this was doomed to fail from the start is an understatement. It resulted in up to 70-100 crew members getting mauled and injured brutally, as well as key members of the cast. Melanie Griffin, who was foolish to accept a role for this, was permanently scarred after getting clawed in the face by a lion because of this movie and needed multiple reconstructive surgeries to fix her face and scalp. Tippi Hedren had her leg snapped in half by an elephant picking her up with its trunk. The cinematographer for the movie Jan de Bont had his scalp almost ripped off his head while working for this movie and is famously pictured in the re-released promotional posters that shows his injuries. Noel Marshall's sons, who also worked on the film, got attacked with his son John needing 56 stitches after being bit in the back of the head by a male lion. Hell, Noel Marshall almost died from gangrene on more than one occasion as a result of being viciously attacked in this. To add insult to injury, this movie was a box office bomb that only made $2 million after it took $17 million to make.

This flop, along with all of the vicious injuries and near death experiences, resulted in both John and Jeffery Marshall ending up resenting their father and becoming distant from him due to the carnage of this mess. It also the biggest factor that played into Tippi Hedren's divorce from Noel Marshall in '82, as well as becoming an animal rights activist and conservationist.

So with all of that out of the way, how is it as a "film"? To me, this fails the initial insane goal that Noel Marshall intended to accomplish with this movie, which was to show that you could own a wild apex predator like a lion as a docile house pet. While there are nature documentaries that show these kind of animals can act docile around humans through imprinting, Lions are an exception to that rule AND the lions Marshall rescued were former South American circus performers. What this film does get across is the message of how absolutely dangerous these animals better than Grizzly Man or any similar movie could.

For that reason alone, I rate it 9/10. It's not for the feint of heart and is extremely graphic so be warned. Like I don't know how this got past the ratings board to be allowed into theaters. But I recommend people watch it if you are willing to stomach that and see the absolute dominant might of nature's apex predators.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sinister

8.2/10

Sinister 2

4/10

The Chernobyl Diaries

Negative infinity

I made the mistake of watching Sinister late, alone, and with the lights out. f***. It has Ethan Hawke, how bad can it be? Legitimately one of the most unsettling films I’ve ever seen. The “yard work” tape has been burned into my mind. I mean, they all have been, but that’s the worst for some reason.

have only seen bits and pieces of the sequel, but it didn’t have the same bite as the first.

Chernobyl Diaries sucked. Bad. I think that was the era or shit horror movies that had a half decent premise but lacked execution. As Above So Below falls into the same category.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I made the mistake of watching Sinister late, alone, and with the lights out. f***. It has Ethan Hawke, how bad can it be? Legitimately one of the most unsettling films I’ve ever seen. The “yard work” tape has been burned into my mind. I mean, they all have been, but that’s the worst for some reason.

have only seen bits and pieces of the sequel, but it didn’t have the same bite as the first.

Chernobyl Diaries sucked. Bad. I think that was the era or shit horror movies that had a half decent premise but lacked execution. As Above So Below falls into the same category.

agreed with everything

f*** that first one is not a light hearted film lol

Also Jesse McCartney being one Chernobyl diaries was LOL funny. I will say that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad