Rate the Dee

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Many are to harsh on our defence.

You can - as I just did - browse through the D of all the teams for this season. I am not really impressed with what I see. Chicago Phoenix & S:t Louis are in my opinion the only teams who as a squad can compete with what we got and even then I think we got a better spread of quality on our 6 D-men than they got. There are individuals to be envious of, sure. Karlsson or Subban for example would be nice to have, but the Senators or Canadians really can't compete when you compare the whole package.

I would say that of the 6 D-men we have seen playing this season they all qualify for top 4 on a comparative level as NHL looks today.

The Big Foot

Oct 12, 2008
Sure looks a lot better when the top 6 all can stay in the lineup for 10 straight games. At some point we're going to run into injury problems so hopefully Alberts and Barker aren't too horrible.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
What would you go to playoffs with as they are (current) and as they were (09/10)? Easy?

Current
Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison
Bieksa
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker

09/10 Playoffs
Ehrhoff
Salo
Edler
Bieksa
O'Brien
Alberts
Rome
Baumgartner

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What would you go to playoffs with as they are (current) and as they were (09/10)? Easy?

Current
Edler
Hamhuis
Garrison
Bieksa
Tanev
Ballard
Alberts
Barker

09/10 Playoffs
Ehrhoff
Salo
Edler
Bieksa
O'Brien
Alberts
Rome
Baumgartner

I feel much more confident with the mix of this group. Ehrhoff would be nice, but not he wouldn't overturn some of the other additions like Tanev, Ballard and Garrison. 09/10 Salo was great though... Still, I'd go with this group.

You could do the same thing with the forwards and the goalies.

I voted "9", because I don't see a comparable D groups that can do what this corps does offensively. Defensively, they lag behind the true stalwart teams, but that's just not their game. It's a bunch of 2way Dmen that help attack and defend, even the defensive Dmen. Sure, they lack a franchise Dman, but there are about only 6-7 teams that have them. Yet, they might not be as good overall as this corps is.

Great job by Gillis to put it together.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I feel much more confident with the mix of this group. Ehrhoff would be nice, but not he wouldn't overturn some of the other additions like Tanev, Ballard and Garrison. 09/10 Salo was great though... Still, I'd go with this group.

You could do the same thing with the forwards and the goalies.

I voted "9", because I don't see a comparable D groups that can do what this corps does offensively. Defensively, they lag behind the true stalwart teams, but that's just not their game. It's a bunch of 2way Dmen that help attack and defend, even the defensive Dmen. Sure, they lack a franchise Dman, but there are about only 6-7 teams that have them. Yet, they might not be as good overall as this corps is.

Great job by Gillis to put it together.

I would do the same. But in the top there is not much difference in quality, it is the depth which is vastly improved.

Steve Bennett*

So here we are about a quarter of the way through the season and imho the d has settled down since some earlier bumps and skids. It's not where it needs to be yet as the coach is still doing some juggling but I am confident they will find their gel and be even better than they are now. If they stay healthy watch out, I think this would be the best d in the league. And it is too bad that Alberts has not had any playing time, but really, I don't think there is someone he could substitute for at this point.

Ballard and Tanev have been pleasantly surprising - although some have noted that it shouldn't be that big of a shock as Ballard improved his play last season as well - something I admittedly missed.

I've been pleased with the offensive play of Edler and generally his defensive play but he does make some major defensive brain collapses that make you scratch your head.

Hamhuis has been steady and seems to have worked out some earlier bugs or stiff legs.

Bieksa is Bieksa. He too I think is settling down but still doing some 'what were you thinking' moves.

And Garrison still hasn't found his A game but like the others has slightly improved since the first handful of games. He has shown glimpses of a stud dman and as he improves I think he will get comfortable mid way through the season and really show why he got such a nice contract.

What do others think about their earlier expectations, where the d is now, and where they are headed?

Well now we are half way through the season, and yikes, what do people think now? Bieksa's absence looks to be a big hole on the back end right now.

Ballard and Tanev continue to be consistent in their third pairing minutes. Tanev continues to develop nicely and should be a lock for years to come. Hopefully he can solidify his offensive game and develop into a top pairing in a year or two, probably at least two.

Hamhuis I think has been our best overall dman. Good offensive numbers, reliable, good hockey skill and awareness.

I'm not convinced on Garrison yet although some other posters said that he has improved over the last few games so maybe I am being too harsh on the guy. I'd like to see him more on the first pp.

The 7th and 8th Alberts and Barker have been disappointing for whats asked of them. Alberts has returned to his 2010 woes while a good shift for Barker is one where he isn't near the puck.

Edler has been overall a letdown. His offensive numbers from the start of the season are even drying up now (pointless in 8). His defensive mind blunders are puzzling and remind me of a young Brent Sopel (but without the mouth guard sticking half out). His passes are off, his shot is slow and delayed, he is not hitting, and he is not flashing that once dominant role he has shown over the past couple years.

Overall there is a huge lack of toughness on the backend. I would point fingers at each player but this team seems to be coached to not be tough and intimidating. They almost never push other teams around anymore which is disappointing. Bieksa is a tough guy, Garrison looks tough, and Edler and Hamhuis are strong guys. Ballard has some feistiness in him, so what gives? Where is that physical edge that made the d so successful for a couple years?

I think the talent and physicality can be tapped but is not at its potential right now. I'd give the d a 6 on the season so far which is pretty low for this Canuck homer. Others' thoughts and criticisms?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad