Rate the 2019 offseason

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the thing about this draft is the red wing draft crew was brand new . never b4 had yzerman-draper-wright-hakan run a draft . obviously 19 in control of this new crew and ide say once again obviously hakan was given the hammer . so this wasnt the same machine 19 was running in tbay or machine kenny was running , brand new machine . and ide say hakan loved cider / antti turo / the other swede d guy or it wouldnt have happened . and with hakan weilding greater power now , imo , that means our euro scouts had more to say this draft . as opposed to kennys usual chl scouts holding the hammer .

Reactions: Frk It

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I grade it a D+.

Seider will fill a need but the rest of the picks are highly questionable imo. There are a lot of question marks regarding many of these players when they transition to professional North American hockey.

Filppula is a mere Vanek-type signing so it's not a big deal. Nemeth is pretty mediocre and slightly overpaid, but I understand what Yzerman is going for. Pickard is decent goalie depth.

They didn't sign any long-term youth (didn't expect it to happen, but we're still in bad shape for 2020). Prospect pool is still very underwhelming imo. I think we're looking at 5 years before this team is competitive.

I agree with you on this. Outside of Veleno, Zadina, Hirose, I'm not overly excited about our prospects.
This offseason was just plain uneventful, but I understand why. Yzerman is in it for the long haul.
Filppula is just a stop gap. Two years isn't terrible and the price is decent. He fills the need of a 3C.
Nemeth is a decent depth signing at D, I guess, although we have three other guys at that same skill level in Ericsson, Bowey, and Kronwall (if he comes back.)
In the end, I will rank the offseason with a C.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, that’s the fear in the back of my head. My gut reaction after this draft was... well, I can see why Tampa hit more in rounds 2-7 than their early picks.

Very interesting that a guy with some whiffs in round 1 didn’t just go with the consensus guy. For better or worse, Stevie definitely has some balls. I mean he walked up there and took Seider with literally 0 pause or hesitation. Hopefully it works out and kicks off his time here with a calculated gamble that pays off. It sounds like they put a ton of work in on the European players.

Have to admit, biggest issue with the Seider pick was Yzerman's draft history.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm now up to a B+ with Yzerman revamping the strength and conditioning program. He's clearly targeting the foundation by replacing NA scouting and the strength and conditioning program. I'm sure trades will come once he has a good handle on the team and has assessed needs.

This has been a very productive, albeit un-sexy off-season. I'm confident he's going to do his thing and he's not going to stick with the status quo like we've been doing for 20 years.

Reactions: ThankGord

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Given that I really wasn't expecting much of an actual offseason from Yzerman anyway, I'd give it a B. Would've been an A, but I just wasn't a fan of the Seider pick.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Excitement levels : F (almost no rumours, very quiet offseason)
Draft: B- (some great picks, some iffy picks)
Player influx: D (almost no one)

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
9/10 for me, feel super optimistic with the team going forward with yzerman steering the boat

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’d say a B. No stupid signings. I liked most of the draft. Added a top 5 GM or so. Didn’t make any trades. It was pretty average but I think getting Yzerman bumps it up to solid for me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Have to admit, biggest issue with the Seider pick was Yzerman's draft history.

That's a concern. But it's clear to me Yzerman leaned heavily on Hakan. So I think that pick and the other two big defenders selected are going to define both the new Yzerman and even the new Hakan era.

We haven't seen the Wings go all-in on early Hakan picks, so it's going to be interesting. I'm excited for it. Because I think they should have been doing this years ago and the fact Yzerman did it straight away is a big plus from me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's a concern. But it's clear to me Yzerman leaned heavily on Hakan. So I think that pick and the other two big defenders selected are going to define both the new Yzerman and even the new Hakan era.

We haven't seen the Wings go all-in on early Hakan picks, so it's going to be interesting. I'm excited for it. Because I think they should have been doing this years ago and the fact Yzerman did it straight away is a big plus from me.

When I listened to Hakan, I heard way more excitement about Johansson than any other prospect.
So I'm not sure how much Seider is a Hakan guy. I know he said that he and Havjuv or whatever saw him most, but he also said that Draper, Wright, Yzerman and even the pro scouts all saw him.
Tuomisto was also clearly a big Wright guy. Yzerman and Hakan both specifically mentioned Wright with him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->