rate Stafford's season out of 10 so far this year.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
5 or 6.

He's been fairly physical, moving well, just hasn't gotten on the scoreboard.

Which is unfortunately what he's paid for. :laugh:

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

He hasn't scored but he's been physical and skating hard.

For comparison I give Ennis a 2. Which is pretty generous IMO.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He's playing close to how he usually plays. Hot n cold. So comparing Staffords present to
Staffords history ... He's at 8 out of 10.

Comparing how I wish Stafford could be, to how he plays? 5 out of 10.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
4/10. I haven't loved him this year. Some good shifts, for sure, and he's been very close a few times, but he isn't producing, and when he isn't producing he's really just taking up space.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'd say 6 out of 10 as his shots are mostly of the poor, perimeter variety, but he has created a number of chances through his passing. Also, he hasn't been a liability along the boards nor defensively. However, he's paid to provide some desperately needed secondary scoring and I can understand rating him lower when he's "cold". It's been beaten to death that he's streaky, as he tends to score a bulk of his goals in only a handful of games and then he's kind of quiet for the rest, but that's par for the course with Stafford.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
5 or 6. I had to argue with someone about how he's an above average 2nd liner. He's a very inconsistent 2nd liner, imo.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
no goals, 3 assits and -7...

you want to rate him? Besides his fight, what has he done? He's being bumped around from line to line, with no success.

Stafford is "the" guy who should be right behind 26 & 29 on the stat list. How is it possible that the rookie on "his" line is outscoring him, and is more noticable on the ice????

He doesn't give 100%. The way the season is going, Stafford is the guy who should be the sacraficial lamb and be dealt. Year after year, we have the same conversation. Time to move him.

He gets a 1 from me, only because he dropped the gloves the first game.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
6 or maybe even 7. 10 out of 10 would be how he's playing now plus producing at like a 35 goal pace and maybe a bit more physicality. He's playing well but not producing at all. Only Foligno is playing clearly better in the physicality+forecheck game. Ott hits more but I'd say he and Stafford are pretty close when you consider all aspects of a physical game and effective forecheck.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
6 or maybe even 7. 10 out of 10 would be how he's playing now plus producing at like a 35 goal pace and maybe a bit more physicality. He's playing well but not producing at all. Only Foligno is playing clearly better in the physicality+forecheck game. Ott hits more but I'd say he and Stafford are pretty close when you consider all aspects of a physical game and effective forecheck.

Rob says it all. You guys are looking at bottom line stats like G and A and +/- and while they are indeed important they are not everything.

The game I've seen from 21 this year, for the first time, is a mature game, a 200-foot game. He's finally doing the right things and not cheating and being a leader. I won't punish that.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Rob says it all. You guys are looking at bottom line stats like G and A and +/- and while they are indeed important they are not everything.

The game I've seen from 21 this year, for the first time, is a mature game, a 200-foot game. He's finally doing the right things and not cheating and being a leader. I won't punish that.

You say all these nice pretty things. But at the end of the day he's not producing and being a -7 in eight games is pretty damn impressively bad.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
That's what happens when you watch the stats and not the hockey.

Right Jame?

He's supposed to create offense and not be a liability in his own end. He is doing neither right now. He's been shuffled onto just about every line imaginable and hasn't done a damn thing offensively. For as much as people are complementing his "200 foot game" the puck sure does seem to be hitting the back of the net a lot when he's on the ice.

If he gets to the end of the season with a -24 and 15 points are we still going to talk about how good he was? I've watched "the hockey", and while he isn't playing horribly, he's also not doing anything. Stafford has just "been there" this year, and that's nowhere near good enough.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's supposed to create offense and not be a liability in his own end. He is doing neither right now. He's been shuffled onto just about every line imaginable and hasn't done a damn thing offensively. For as much as people are complementing his "200 foot game" the puck sure does seem to be hitting the back of the net a lot when he's on the ice.

If he gets to the end of the season with a -24 and 15 points are we still going to talk about how good he was? I've watched "the hockey", and while he isn't playing horribly, he's also not doing anything. Stafford has just "been there" this year, and that's nowhere near good enough.

But he's not a liability in his own end. Being a -7 doesn't mean he's a liability in his own end. He has Tyler Ennis losing defensive zone faceoffs and turning the puck over and is out there with a defense that continually screws up. On top of that he isn't producing nor is his line, thus the big fat negative. That doesn't make him a defensive liability, though.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
What can I tell you. I thought he played a good game today. Good effort even where he screwed up, he dug in and made it right.

The PK goal, ya, it was his guy that scored (campbell). Have at it ye. Bad defense. Nobody else screwed anything up leading to that. Right?

Check the tape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad